• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

L'Etape 2010

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Hi!

Does anyone already have a clue where L'Etape 2010 will happen in 2010?

Hopefully I will be there, but I am anxious to know the amount of trouble I am going to face!:)

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Bestão said:
Hi!

Hopefully I will be there, but I am anxious to know the amount of trouble I am going to face!:)

The course will announced 3rd week of October

Bestão said:
Hi!

Race Radio said:
The course will announced 3rd week of October

The answer is probably a lot of trouble though. Usually has a couple of cat 1 mountains involved minimum, and tends to be one of the queen stages of the race in the Alps or Pyrenees. Last time it was not I think was 2004 in the Massif Central (someone can correct me if i'm wrong with the year or area).

Sep 20, 2009
Visit site
Etape

The route not released till October.
Yes, the last time it was outside the Alp's was in 2004.
It was from Limogues to St Fleur.
It was no easier, I was there, 247 kms.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
The heavy rumor is the Etape will be be Monday, July 12th. From what I am reading on some French sites the course should be this

Bagneres de Luchon- Col d'Aubisque (via Peyresourde 1erC, Aspin 1erC, Tourmalet HC, arr Aubisque HC en incluant le Soulor avec)

Looks like a great stage. I hope to be there.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Ok first of all this year it was Mount Ventoux, which I don't think was is considered the Alps, it's central massive, no?

The route that was described above with the Tourmalet is also a sportif of it's own isn't it? I was in the area when it was on and would have raced it if I new that it was going on, anyways, great area and sounds to me that this would be as hard as the Marmotte

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
If that route is accurate and they don't throw in any random detours, it'll be a relatively short trip (about 140 km) but there will be about 4800 metres of ascents.

There will be ******-all flat riding to do; you'll either be climbing a col or going down one!

Sep 22, 2009
Visit site
Etape 2010 Entry?

As I am from the US, I am wondering if there are any suggestions on how to gain entry into the Etape without having to book it through a tour organizer. I've done it and you don't get a lot for your money if you are a fairly self reliant personn in the first place. I understand the entry form is available in a French magazine for only a brief amount of time. This would make entry very difficult. Any suggestions on the how to accomplish this?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
hbidleman said:
As I am from the US, I am wondering if there are any suggestions on how to gain entry into the Etape without having to book it through a tour organizer. I've done it and you don't get a lot for your money if you are a fairly self reliant personn in the first place. I understand the entry form is available in a French magazine for only a brief amount of time. This would make entry very difficult. Any suggestions on the how to accomplish this?

Unfortunately it is almost impossible. There are some Tour companies that sell entry only.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
rgmerk said:
If that route is accurate and they don't throw in any random detours, it'll be a relatively short trip (about 140 km) but there will be about 4800 metres of ascents.

There will be ******-all flat riding to do; you'll either be climbing a col or going down one!

4800m!!! Let's hope Saint Pantani has mercy on us...

Does anyone has the profile of any of these mountains?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
St. Elia said:
It might be better for you to do the Marmotte as you can register and do everything yourself. Book the hotel early, I stayed on alpe d'HUEZ but had to call direct to the hotel to get a room.

http://www.sportcommunication.info/GT/index.php?langue=1

The Marmotte is a good one. I have done it twice and it can be super hard. If you do not pace yourself you are in for a very bad day.

The best of these by far is the Maratona deles Dolomites. Great course, insanely competitive.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
hbidleman said:
What is the name of the French velo magazine that offers the entry form and do they only accept entries from French nationals?

It is Velo magazine.

You can enter if you are not a French National, but you have to have a subscription to the magazine and a French address. It is also a lottery. I think about 30% get in.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
The Marmotte is a good one. I have done it twice and it can be super hard. If you do not pace yourself you are in for a very bad day.

The best of these by far is the Maratona deles Dolomites. Great course, insanely competitive.

It's on my list for sure!! I screwed up on the marmotte need to go back!!:eek:

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
Big Ring said:
Route will be announced on 14th October

Very strong rumors that it will be from Luchon to Col d'Aubisque.

Mont Ventoux is in the Alps.

No idea where this years Etape will be but petty sure that Ventoux is in Provence, stands on its own, bit of a way to the Alps, AKA 'Giant of Provence'. If it was in the Alps it would be known as the 'Pimple of the Alps'.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
ridelikethewind said:
No idea where this years Etape will be but petty sure that Ventoux is in Provence, stands on its own, bit of a way to the Alps, AKA 'Giant of Provence'. If it was in the Alps it would be known as the 'Pimple of the Alps'.

Yes it is in Provence as are Col de Vars, Col des Champs, Col de Restefond, Col de la Colombière, Col de la Bonette, Col du Galibier, Col de Montgenèvre, Col d'Izoard, etc, etc,

Mont Ventoux, is geologically part of the Alps, but is wrongly considered to be separate from them, due to the lack of mountains of a similar height nearby. The Provence region has 6 Departments and includes much of the French Alps in it borders, including the departments of Hautes Alps, Alps Maritimes and Alpes de Hautes Provence.

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
Big Ring said:
Yes it is in Provence as are Col de Vars, Col des Champs, Col de Restefond, Col de la Colombière, Col de la Bonette, Col du Galibier, Col de Montgenèvre, Col d'Izoard, etc, etc,

Mont Ventoux, is geologically part of the Alps, but is wrongly considered to be separate from them, due to the lack of mountains of a similar height nearby. The Provence region has 6 Departments and includes much of the French Alps in it borders, including the departments of Hautes Alps, Alps Maritimes and Alpes de Hautes Provence.

There is no way that Mont Ventoux is 'in the Alps' as you stated earlier. Everyone knows where the Alps are and Mont Ventoux is not 'in the Alps'.

It's like saying Stanstead is in London. Of course it is linked to London by a train line but it is not 'in London'.

Yes there is the Haute Alps, Alps Maritimes and the Beckton Alps. None of these are close to Ventoux.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Bestão said:
Did I read it correctly? 5500m of accent?
No no no just 5000m ha ha ha!!

Ya it's tough, the last part of Tourmalet is pretty tough. however slow and steady and most fit guys/ and gals can do it. I wish I could fit it in this year.:eek:

Etape%20du%20tour%202010R1profile.gif

TRENDING THREADS