Lets support riders in a dope free culture!

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
diminse said:
I think we should collect a massive fans vote to press organizers to put together "reasonable" challenges on routes, not pushing riders for cheating ! For example total Km's and mountain finishes should be down to earth NOT pushing competitors to hell ! How can we organize this mass support ?
Firstly, welcome and you should not let some stupid people put you off making a point.
Having said that - I don't necessarily agree, as has been pointed out the distance of events is not really the issue. Dopers dope to gain an advantage, distance is not the issue.

Someone did say that transfers should be looked at - and while that has little to do with doping, some of the transfers are severe and unnecessary and add nothing to the spectacle.

Parrulo said:
indeed, any1 that think like OP must have never ridden a bike in his life. the idea that riders dope to finish races is beyond idiotic, they dope to finish them first otherwise there would be o doping o 100m races as even my 78 year old grandfather could run them, so that's as human as it get's.

also this thread belongs in the clinic so i am moving it there
I rarely report posts unless they are overtly offensive - this actually is worth reporting.
However as it is probably the person who wrote it who ends up moderating it, there is little point.

So - let me just say - if anyone has wondered why standards are so poor here lately and a lot of quality posters rarely post or why it's difficult to read it somevthrads it is because of dumb, vile people like you.
You are a disgrace - and CN are as culpable for allowing an idiot like you any duties.
 
Oct 17, 2012
62
0
0
diminse said:
I think we should collect a massive fans vote to press organizers to put together "reasonable" challenges on routes, not pushing riders for cheating ! For example total Km's and mountain finishes should be down to earth NOT pushing competitors to hell ! How can we organize this mass support ?
Welcome to the forum. I agree with the other posters, who said that the arrogant person who flamed you for asking a relevant question should be ignored. Some sportscommentators and journalists give the impression that people dope because cycling is one of the hardest sports in the world, so no one can blame you for making a proposal to fight doping, by making the courses easier.

But as other posters pointed out, 100 years ago, before anyone had thought of EPO or blood doping, people rode in much tougher conditions on bikes, made of iron, wood and rubber, that only had one gear.

The article I included below shows that no matter what, some people will always dope. The guy who is mentioned in the article was caught in a sportive (an uncategorized event in which everyone can compete- that means that it isn't even D-level). He was one of two guys who tested positive for EPO. Both guys were over 45 and none of them had ever been professional. One of them started cycling after the age of 30.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/28/sports/cycling/doping-in-cycling-reaches-into-amateur-ranks.html
 
Mar 26, 2009
342
0
0
sniper said:
this post is moderator unworthy.

hate to break it to you, but the fact is that a lot of cycling spectators (perhaps not racers themselves) believe there is a logic correlation between the amount of PEDs used in cycling and the extreme toughness of the races, especially the TdF.

Perhaps not the idea a 'racer' would come up with, but it's a natural thought and quite common among normal cycling spectators.
Not idiotic (or beyond).
And the forum isn't just for racers last time I checked.

if you feel like moderating, tell Ryo Hazuko to chill.
and so it is that the moderator becomes the moderated...
 
Mar 26, 2009
342
0
0
Arnout said:
Well he is stating that the OP must've never used his bike, which is hardly offensive, is it?

Luckily the clinic has never offended any new member.
I still remember Joe Papp saying that forum members should have at least 25 posts before they are allowed to post in the clinic. I had 24 posts at the time, so used my 25th to tell Joe why I thought he was a fool for judging people by the quantity of their posts, rather than the quality.
 
Arnout said:
Well he is stating that the OP must've never used his bike, which is hardly offensive, is it?

Luckily the clinic has never offended any new member.
Right, it's not offensive at all. I agree that the Mods are all too eager to ban folks they do not like, but this is just silly. No one would get banned over that.

Also, the OP is an obvious troll. Yeah, let's all welcome him/her. THAT is what this forum needs! I guess some people believe anything thrown at them.
 
What a bunch of cry baby posts in this thread.

Oh the evil moderators! ooooh noes! the horror!

Allthough I agree, he, as an admin should probably try to keep his posts a bit more civilized there really isn't much offensive about his post, unless you are oversensitive and feel offended by pretty much anything.


On topic: More or less miles have absolutely no effect on doping use. There are a bunch of threads on this forum about it. Look them up.
Ofcourse not everyone agrees, but I will say that they are naive. I have to pick my words carefully else they might get offended.
 
Dec 13, 2010
189
0
8,830
hrotha said:
The whole point is that doping and races being longer have nothing to do with each other. The races are perfectly human. Any trained person could do them - just not as fast.
I am 100% en agreance with hrotha. Will the 100m runners say, we must make the 100m sprint a 50m sprint so we don't dope in order to win?

People dope, to get an advantage. This adantage gives them fame and money. Regardless of the toughness of the course, if there is a doping culture, they will still dope.
 
GotDropped said:
I am 100% en agreance with hrotha. Will the 100m runners say, we must make the 100m sprint a 50m sprint so we don't dope in order to win?

People dope, to get an advantage. This adantage gives them fame and money. Regardless of the toughness of the course, if there is a doping culture, they will still dope.
And the "fame & money" thing is connected to the presence of a doping culture. Everything is perfectly logical.

This is the price people have to pay for seeing their riders flying up a mountain with a determined look, setting records that was not previously known to man before they did it, creating headlines and international fame (and of course more money) in the process.

Cycling, and other sports, is up for a choice: Do we want spectacle or do we want fair competition during equal circumstances? I know what the sponsors want...
 
No_Balls said:
And the "fame & money" thing is connected to the presence of a doping culture. Everything is perfectly logical.

This is the price people have to pay for seeing their riders flying up a mountain with a determined look, setting records that was not previously known to man before they did it, creating headlines and international fame (and of course more money) in the process.

Cycling, and other sports, is up for a choice: Do we want spectacle or do we want fair competition during equal circumstances? I know what the sponsors want...
They won't fly up the mountain without dope, but I can't see why that would be less spectaculair? Aslong as people are able to drop other on climbs it will be spectaculair, you really won't notice it if they ride 3-5km/h slower.
 

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
13,250
1
0
Kwibus said:
What a bunch of cry baby posts in this thread.

Oh the evil moderators! ooooh noes! the horror!

Allthough I agree, he, as an admin should probably try to keep his posts a bit more civilized there really isn't much offensive about his post, unless you are oversensitive and feel offended by pretty much anything.


On topic: More or less miles have absolutely no effect on doping use. There are a bunch of threads on this forum about it. Look them up.
Ofcourse not everyone agrees, but I will say that they are naive. I have to pick my words carefully else they might get offended.
Hold on - so you agree?
Yet your opening 2 lines were strawman arguements that no-one said.

Why should the standard only be applied to a mod?
While their remark was not particularly offensive, it was unnessesary as there was no need to make any personal remark.
 
Kwibus said:
They won't fly up the mountain without dope, but I can't see why that would be less spectaculair? Aslong as people are able to drop other on climbs it will be spectaculair, you really won't notice it if they ride 3-5km/h slower.
Just to make it clear: i agree with you. There i said it.

But it is not we as spectators who need to choose the right path as much as those involved with their money, covers, connections with media et.al, needs. We as spectators are pretty much adaptable and will stick to our cycling no matter. It is about what we want from cycling. In a number of years very much of the spectacle around cycling has been linked to "how fast" they travel, "how fast" they can climb a mountain, "how fast" they can ride a TT, "how fast" a human being can push Alpe d´Huez. As long as cycling (or others, media, setting the hype) has this focus there will always be a doping culture.

No different to the runners and other sports by the way.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY