• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Levi wins Leadville

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Seattleallstar said:
shatters Hope's record

I have to admit, I usually bash anything related to you, but Levi's ride was pretty damn impressive. Especially for his first ever MTB ride. But PLEASE stop calling Lance Armstrong, "Hope," it's probably the most pretentious thing I've ever heard. When you call him that, it makes it seem like you worship him as some kind of messiah.

ericthesportsman6 said:
...Levi's ride was pretty damn impressive. Especially for his first ever MTB ride.

According to Levi himself he has spent a lot of time riding MTB for training in the off season for many years now. Apparently he gets to share trail time with some top mountain bikers, so riding at this type of pace is nothing new for him even if he's not used to competition. Leadville is the closest thing he's going to get on dirt to a big road race, in terms of tactics and course.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Weapons of @ss Destruction said:
According to Levi himself he has spent a lot of time riding MTB for training in the off season for many years now. Apparently he gets to share trail time with some top mountain bikers, so riding at this type of pace is nothing new for him even if he's not used to competition. Leadville is the closest thing he's going to get on dirt to a big road race, in terms of tactics and course.

Your right, I just figured there would be more of an adjustment for him, racing it competitively for the first time. I'm a downhiller myself, so I don't know much about cross-country stuff like this.

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Nothing against Levi, but I can't be thrilled about a roadie winning a mountain bike race. I miss the racing from the 80's and early 90's. Oh well, just labeled myself a grumpy old school guy...sheesh:rolleyes:

Feb 4, 2010
Visit site
chasbo said:
Nothing against Levi, but I can't be thrilled about a roadie winning a mountain bike race. I miss the racing from the 80's and early 90's. Oh well, just labeled myself a grumpy old school guy...sheesh:rolleyes:

Why label yourself or other people? It's a bike race. Everybody has to ride a bike. Personally, I see myself as a human who loves cycling, both on dirt and on pavement.

Levi was stronger than the competition and won. Pretty simple.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
Old School said:
The race wasn't in Europe right? Yeah, of course he won...easily.

No competition.

what like human males from north america are a genetically inferior species to riders from europe? your an idiot....

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
9000ft said:
Why label yourself or other people? It's a bike race. Everybody has to ride a bike. Personally, I see myself as a human who loves cycling, both on dirt and on pavement.

Levi was stronger than the competition and won. Pretty simple.

Yeah you are right, it is simple and for the record I love both dirt and pavement racing. Yet I still would have rather seen a mountain bike racer win it. Weins or JHK for example. Back in the day, you would never have seen Davis Phinney beat Tomac or Overend in a mountain bike race.

Again, Levi rode the fastest and won, good for him.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
It's really not a mountain bike race, per se. It's a high altitude race on mostly wide gravel roads with even some paved. Not exactly the old-fashioned roots-jumping and single track.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
forty four said:
what like human males from north america are a genetically inferior species to riders from europe? your an idiot....

I'm sorry - I tried and tried - but I couldn't let this go.

It is, "you're" as in, " you are..." not, "your"..... :D

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
ericthesportsman6 said:
I have to admit, I usually bash anything related to you, but Levi's ride was pretty damn impressive. Especially for his first ever MTB ride. But PLEASE stop calling Lance Armstrong, "Hope," it's probably the most pretentious thing I've ever heard. When you call him that, it makes it seem like you worship him as some kind of messiah.

wtf? Lance is a Messiah, he's done so many great things for people all around the world, like showing that you can win the Tour clean against a bunch of dopers! Saying that he doped is blasphemy! :rolleyes:

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
forty four said:

Possibly not an idiot in the classic sense, but just one of those who like to put down guys who do well. Major inferiority complex for sure!

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Michielveedeebee said:
wtf? Lance is a Messiah, he's done so many great things for people all around the world, like showing that you can win the Tour clean against a bunch of dopers! Saying that he doped is blasphemy! :rolleyes:

Mate don't work to turn a post about Leadville into a Lance rant, stay on topic, I know its hard for you but really really try:rolleyes:

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
SpartacusRox said:
Mate don't work to turn a post about Leadville into a Lance rant, stay on topic, I know its hard for you but really really try:rolleyes:

Agreed we've got more than enough of those around here already . . .

But the OP's consistent use of his/her special nickname for LA does predispose just about every thread s/he starts to becoming yet another one.

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
Old School said:
The race wasn't in Europe right? Yeah, of course he won...easily.

No competition.

Perhaps we should get a fund together to have Mr. Old School come show Levi and all the rest of us non-Europeans how superior he is next year.

Better yet, make that a bet. We pay his way to get to the race and if he doesn't beat all the North Americans he reimburses us all, double what we paid.

How about it Old School? Ready to show how inferior Levi, JHK and all the rest of the inferior North Americans are?

SpartacusRox

BANNED
May 6, 2010
Visit site
Squares said:
Perhaps we should get a fund together to have Mr. Old School come show Levi and all the rest of us non-Europeans how superior he is next year.

Better yet, make that a bet. We pay his way to get to the race and if he doesn't beat all the North Americans he reimburses us all, double what we paid.

How about it Old School? Ready to show how inferior Levi, JHK and all the rest of the inferior North Americans are?

Yeah I would throw in a couple of hundred bucks to see that. I'd even agree to him being given maybe a 5 minutes head start on the field. That would give him every opportunity to just solo to victory.:D

Maybe you should start your buildup now Old 'skool'

TRENDING THREADS