• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Levi Wins Tour de Suisse???

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
cyclist0411 said:
I got a feeling radioshack is doping.because levi isn't a good tt rider their were better guys who should have beat him.

Know how I know you know absolutely nothing about LL's career? Not a good TT rider? Wow. It's LL's strongest area and has been for years. It's obvious that his Suisse tactic was to hang on through the mountains and stay close enough to the leaders to have a shot at them in the time trial. It worked. Of course he also needed the 9 seconds he grabbed on Cunego in stage 6 and we did see a rare attack on a finishing climb too.

He won. Get over it. Question why Cunego, Schleck, and others aren't better time trialists. I also thought Andy Schleck would be testing his TT form and he performed miserably. It's going to be extremely difficult for him to win this TdF or any other unless he improves.

If Levi, or any professional cyclist that's had at least some success as a pro, has doped while still an amateur, chances are he is still doping. Add to the fact that he has been on a team that has had numerous problems with doping, you get question marks all over his name.

The Hitch said:
Levi has been a contender for years. Rabo signed him as their gc leader, hes podiumed 2 gcs including the tour, top 10d all 3. and won countless stage races and tts.

How is that "suddenly coming into his own". This isnt even his best season or anything.

First, you can't judge individual fitness by relative results. It's documented racing is slower now that it was in the not-too-distant past. A performance which would have been lucky to crack top 10 five years ago is now good enough to win. You can see this in VAM numbers, especially late in the Giro for example. Contador's climb to Nevegal would have gotten him spit off the back on any respectable climb in the Tour from the Armstrong era, and that's after a rest day. Anti-doping really is having an impact.

That said, I am suspicious.... thresholds for positives are based on 21 year olds, not 39 year olds, and so older guys have a lot more headroom above their diminished endocrine systems. A leveling of the age playing field isn't surprising, and that's what seems to be happening. I don't think "reduced wear and tear from less racing", which has been claimed for the trend, is consistent with what you see in other sports with far less load on participants. 39 is old, no matter what the sport, even golf.

Not accusing any individual of doping... just looking at apparent trends.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
patrick767 said:
He won. Get over it. Question why Cunego, Schleck, and others aren't better time trialists. I also thought Andy Schleck would be testing his TT form and he performed miserably. It's going to be extremely difficult for him to win this TdF or any other unless he improves.

It seems that Andy rarely looks impressive leading up to the TdF. So, his performance should not shock anyone and likely doesn't give a true indication of his form. Also, fortunately for Andy, the TdF is really set up for climbers. The days of the long ITTs seem to be over.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Neil Browne's observation on Levi's win.

http://neilbrowne.com/2011/06/leipheimer-and-the-tour-de-suisse/#more-4098

Among the congratulations to Leipheimer and the RadioShack team, there was a vocal chorus of people who didn’t quite show the same enthusiasm.

“I honestly think that @radioshack would be better off asking their riders not to win anymore races. It’s bad PR when everyone suspects you.”

“No middle ground on Leipheimer’s #TdSuisse win. People are either psyched or ****ed off. #thanksjohan”

“Judging by my Twitter feed a few #tdsuisse viewers suspect Levi dopes. #captainobvious”

You get my point…

The distrust, obviously, comes from the investigation into Lance Armstrong, and by association, anyone who has ridden for him. Tyler Hamilton in his 60 Minutes interview even said that doping was occurring on the US Postal team before Armstrong. For Leipheimer the distrust goes back to his Gerolsteiner days.

MacRoadie said:
Yes, the rare Levi "attack": suck wheels over 4 or 5 cols, then jump with 400 meters to go.

I was actually referring to another stage... seven I believe... when he attacked lower on the climb. The forum thread here during the stage was kind of amusing at the time with people posting "Bottle attacks for the first time ever!" types of posts.

Yeahright

BANNED
Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
danjo007 said:
so.... how is this clinic-worthy? oh yeah. someone won a race, so he automatically gets posted here. OP you suk.

+1 couldn't agree more. Levi rode a good race and is always going
TT well. Looking at how the shack guys did compared with Fabian is misleading because Cancellara dials back his TT Training at this time of year and focusses more on hill training leading up to the Tour.

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
MacRoadie said:
Yes, the rare Levi "attack": suck wheels over 4 or 5 cols, then jump with 400 meters to go.

That jump with 400 to go won him the race, in case you hadnt noticed.
It was THAT time diference that with the ITT won the race.

He even said as much, that it was to his advantage to make Lampre and the other teams do all the work.
Thats called smart riding.

He also didnt/couldnt respond the the earlier quick bursts of acceleration on the climb, rode his own race, conserved, and then ot time when it counted.
How is this not brilliant tactics??

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
thehog said:
Klodi gets a happy birthday, tour down under gets a hurrah for a hill top finish but nothin' for bottle?

Was bottle subpoenaed? Is LA still ****ed at him for crushing his record at Leadville?

Levi reminds me of Baby Beluga

TRENDING THREADS