• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lidl-Trek (no longer Radioshack-Leopard Trek)

Page 178 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad that there are strong signs of the continuation of the team. We all know how, by the end of last season, Leopard was starting to come together, only to screw everything up with the merger. I bet that next year, even with no Bruyneel, or perhaps because there might be no Bruyneel, we will see a better RSNT - they have plenty of promising talents, and the big names are also staying.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Cancellator said:
I'm glad that there are strong signs of the continuation of the team. We all know how, by the end of last season, Leopard was starting to come together, only to screw everything up with the merger. I bet that next year, even with no Bruyneel, or perhaps because there might be no Bruyneel, we will see a better RSNT - they have plenty of promising talents, and the big names are also staying.

I see Nissan as a possible long-term title sponsor of whatever this team becomes in the future.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Cancellator said:

A contract is a contract unless the the backer is in bankruptcy. RSNT's financial backer's contract ends the end of the next year. I am not so optimized how things will turn out after 2013. Maybe AS winning 2013 Tour will change the fate of the team!

Mar 4, 2012
Visit site
maxmartin said:
A contract is a contract unless the the backer is in bankruptcy. RSNT's financial backer's contract ends the end of the next year. I am not so optimized how things will turn out after 2013. Maybe AS winning 2013 Tour will change the fate of the team!

Well, there were rumors of the team folding at the end of this season, with the change in Radioshack management etc. , and I'm glad it's not true.

After 2013, if the get some good results, maybe they will find a new sponsor to replace RS.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Cancellator said:
Well, there were rumors of the team folding at the end of this season, with the change in Radioshack management etc. , and I'm glad it's not true.

After 2013, if the get some good results, maybe they will find a new sponsor to replace RS.

It is actually steal. Becca pays majority money, RN and Nissan currently paying way much less to get the title.:D I just don't know Becca will continue or not after 2013, he is in all sorts of trouble right now. Robert Kišerlovski signed a two year contract, so it is quite possible the team will continue I guess.

Nick C. said:
What was the rationale behind RadioShack getting involved to begin with
...because they needed a CMO ?

RS_0004_CMO1.jpg

...serves them right for encouraging a fraudster.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Yeh, but it's an ABC news/AP story. RS is a cell phone outlet anymore, I doubt they're demise is near. Somebody will come in a buy them up cheap. Could this is just part of the bitter politics behind the Saga?

I've been hearing this stuff for a long time now, no doubt a lot of retailers are in difficulty in this economy. The story should be more about the state of the economy and other retailers like them, but maybe that's for after November.

Fuglsang is getting suckered into this stuff and if he can't deliver next then who's going to want a kiss-and-tell man on there team. There's gonna always be some tuff politics on any team in any sport. News should be about the unusual. "What is new!" Not the refresh cycle despite the CEO stepping down.

Nick C. said:
What was the rationale behind RadioShack getting involved to begin with, because IIRC when they did their financials were not the best.

IIRC one of their then officers was friend with Lance and made what appears to have been a rather unilateral decision to sponsor the team as part of their rebranding as "The Shack". The officer has since been fired. Notice there no longer is branding as "The Shack". RR posted an article about it quite some time ago, I believe in this tread but I'm too lazy to check.

BillytheKid said:
Yeh, but it's an ABC news/AP story. RS is a cell phone outlet anymore, I doubt they're demise is near. Somebody will come in a buy them up cheap. Could this is just part of the bitter politics behind the Saga?

I've been hearing this stuff for a long time now, no doubt a lot of retailers are in difficulty in this economy. The story should be more about the state of the economy and other retailers like them, but maybe that's for after November.

I don't see how Radio Shack can survive in today's retail market and economy. They are running an out of date business model. When was the last time most people went into a Radio Shack? It's much more convenient to buy the goods you would buy at Radio Shack at Best Buy, Target, Wall Mart, etc.

Having two CEO's step down in 16 months is not a good sign for a business.

At this point I would not be surprised to see them file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy (similar to administration in Commonwealth nations), with it playing out much like Borders. This would allow them to part with their less profitable contracts, which I would presume includes their contract with the cycling team.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
El Oso said:
I don't see how Radio Shack can survive in today's retail market and economy. They are running an out of date business model. When was the last time most people went into a Radio Shack? It's much more convenient to buy the goods you would buy at Radio Shack at Best Buy, Target, Wall Mart, etc.

Having two CEO's step down in 16 months is not a good sign for a business.

At this point I would not be surprised to see them file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy (similar to administration in Commonwealth nations), with it playing out much like Borders. This would allow them to part with their less profitable contracts, which I would presume includes their contract with the cycling team.

Perhaps you're right. I mean they're about the last shop standing in some strip malls here. I still have a Realistic shortwave radio that was my father's. It's great set. Tubes with some solid state. Radio Shack was the hardware store of elctronics, especially for those who did there own stuff

To bad some here a cheering on another loss of jobs for the sake of the Saga.

Those are real pople with real jobs. Maybe they can downsize and rename themselves Phone Both, Text Mate or something snappy.

BillytheKid said:
Perhaps you're right. I mean they're about the last shop standing in some strip malls here. I still have a Realistic shortwave radio that was my father's. It's great set. Tubes with some solid state. Radio Shack was the hardware store of elctronics, especially for those who did there own stuff

Those are real pople with real jobs. Maybe they can downsize and rename themselves Phone Both, Text Mate or something snappy.

Since you are usually the guy with chris horner's news. Is he retiring next year?

nb: do you know billy 1 by mr dylan?

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
BillytheKid said:

I derive no enjoyment from Radioshack's troubles. I appreciate their support of the sport and am a fan of many of their riders. I hope they continue for a long time.

The only people I think should be unemployed are Bruyneel and Celya. They need to be out of the sport

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
The only people I think should be unemployed are Bruyneel and Celya. They need to be out of the sport

I wonder what Becca will do if/when Bruyneel gets banned. He obviously doesn't think Andersen can run the show, otherwise he would have had him do it this year. Plus I doubt Andersen actually wants that job. Probably outside hire. Wasn't there talks of Rolf Aldag joining the Radioshack staff (or was that another team)? Maybe Becca already has his feelers out.

How soon can we expect a Bruyneel ban? Within the next year? If so IMO it would be smarter to already go into the season with a new guy, instead of replacing someone halfway through.

Race Radio said:
I derive no enjoyment from Radioshack's troubles. I appreciate their support of the sport and am a fan of many of their riders. I hope they continue for a long time.

Radioshack as a cycling enterprise has not achieved a lot, if you look at their team records-apart from some stage wins & lately with Cance winning SB-their existence is close to be compared to the average Pro-Continental team. The reason I have never liked the team is because of the LA/JA modus operandis & the belief of the 99-05 mentality as a method to get results. As you said-is nothing against the sponsors, its all about those individuals pulling the strings that rots the riders.

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Zam_Olyas said:
Since you are usually the guy with chris horner's news. Is he retiring next year?

nb: do you know billy 1 by mr dylan?

Horner has one year left on his contract so he will ride at least one more season assuming the team survives. With the economy the way it is, it's a bad time be switching jobs. He claims he does not know how to do much else. So as long as it pays, who knows?

Billy 1, I have to confess I had not heard it in some time, but just link to it again. Classic Dylan.

Did you know the name Billy the Kid only came into being the last 6 months of his life and was largely a name attributed to press reports? Had he died in the Lincoln County War, he would have been but a footnote.

A metaphor for an orphaned underdog despite his fall into violence.