• The Cycling News forum is still looking to add volunteer moderators with. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liege - Bastogne - Liege

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
the Schleck Bros have to come up with some result on sunday-so the main attacks are going to come from Saxo for sure--now Astana is kind of aiming high for this race too, and the Vino-Contador due in contention is going to spark the race even more. but the one man that is hurting so much to win this race above all the field is Joaquin Rodriguez- Always relegated by Valverde & last year's second place makes him a secure bet for the win... we'll see:)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
It's hard to judge the Vino/Contador possibilties. Maybe their biggest advantage is having two contenders who could also aid each other if need be. The main question is if they can make it work or not. As mentioned before, it probably has a bigger possibility of working out than the situation in the TdF last year....

I recall Gilbert saying that Liège is the one race he really wants to win. So he will definitely be up there. I hope for him that he will not be hauled in by A. Schleck this time around. Or anyone else for that matter.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Cosette said:
I recall Gilbert saying that Liège is the one race he really wants to win. So he will definitely be up there. I hope for him that he will not be hauled in by A. Schleck this time around. Or anyone else for that matter.

When Gilbert was a kid his dad used to give cyclists who had given up during LBL a ride back to Liège in the family car, with a young Phille in the backseat.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
tgsgirl said:
When Gilbert was a kid his dad used to give cyclists who had given up during LBL a ride back to Liège in the family car, with a young Phille in the backseat.
Now that you mention it... I do recall reading that somewhere, but I had totally forgotten about that. Thanks.

So adding that up to that he will be riding in his home area (or what used to be home, I believe he moved to Monaco) I completely understand why he wants it so badly.
The only problem that remains is actually snagging the win, and that might prove difficult, as there is a lot of competition.
But he does have a good chance. I do not know where he stands compared to the others, but in the end he could probably make it work. Though that might apply to some others as well. He's probably also one of the riders that will be marked by the others, which may be a disadvantage, or the others could be keeping an eye on Cuddles and Bertie, and Philippe could sneak away when they aren't looking...

Ok, I'm done ranting about Gilbert. Carry on with the subject. :p

Cosette said:
Now that you mention it... I do recall reading that somewhere, but I had totally forgotten about that. Thanks.

So adding that up to that he will be riding in his home area (or what used to be home, I believe he moved to Monaco) I completely understand why he wants it so badly.
The only problem that remains is actually snagging the win, and that might prove difficult, as there is a lot of competition.
But he does have a good chance. I do not know where he stands compared to the others, but in the end he could probably make it work. Though that might apply to some others as well. He's probably also one of the riders that will be marked by the others, which may be a disadvantage, or the others could be keeping an eye on Cuddles and Bertie, and Philippe could sneak away when they aren't looking...

Yes, very likely scenario :p

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Astana for LBL

Alberto CONTADOR (SPA)
Dimitri FOFONOV (KAZ)
Andriy GRIVKO (UKR)
Maxim IGLINSKY (KAZ)
Benjamin NOVAL (SPA)
Oscar PEREIRO (SPA)
Gorazd STANGELJ (SLO)
Alexandre VINOKOUROV (KAZ)
Sport manager: Laurenzo LAPAGE

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Cosette said:

It is unlikely that gilbert won't be watched in liege. The race suits him so well. Lots of rolling steep climbs where he can attack on. He will be on heavily marked rider. He also can out sprint most there as well.

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Liège-Bastogne-Liège

I understand that Philippe Gilbert has a house at the foot of La Redoute. The commentators were on about it during Eurosports coverage of La Fléche Wallonne. I still want Andy Schleck to win BUT if he ( or Frank ) can't, I reckon Phillipe does deserve to and it will obvoiusly mean a lot to him. As long as they are all safe and it's a great race, that will do.

KazakhNeRider said:
Alberto CONTADOR (SPA)
Dimitri FOFONOV (KAZ)
Andriy GRIVKO (UKR)
Maxim IGLINSKY (KAZ)
Benjamin NOVAL (SPA)
Oscar PEREIRO (SPA)
Gorazd STANGELJ (SLO)
Alexandre VINOKOUROV (KAZ)
Sport manager: Laurenzo LAPAGE

I like this selection a lot. Vino captain on the road and him and AC protected riders. Got to expect Saxo to dictate if last year is a guide, so will be really interesting to see how Astana play it.

Don't you just love the this week in April:)

ferryman said:
I like this selection a lot. Vino captain on the road and him and AC protected riders. Got to expect Saxo to dictate if last year is a guide, so will be really interesting to see how Astana play it.

Don't you just love the this week in April:)

Surely a strong team, still strange though that Gasparotto is missing after his 3. at Amstel, and since this should be one of his main goals of the season. Anyone knows if he has gotten sick or something? Seems pretty weird if they just prefer Pereiro or Stangelj, but ofcourse if all focus is on Vino or Contador, they are propably better "pure" helpers

MADRAZO said:
Surely a strong team, still strange though that Gasparotto is missing after his 3. at Amstel, and since this should be one of his main goals of the season. Anyone knows if he has gotten sick or something? Seems pretty weird if they just prefer Pereiro or Stangelj, but ofcourse if all focus is on Vino or Contador, they are propably better "pure" helpers

He went home to rest in advance of the Giro d'Italia. He's raced the entire Spring Classics, so he needed a break.

Contador super-domestique?

I don't think I've seen AC pulling a team-mate (.e.g. Vino) up a hill before
- unless you count the Crit Delfin. 2009 when he helped compatriot Valverde up the steeps slope against Evans.
I'm not sure he is very comptente out of his normal role of looking after number one.

could be wrong though.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
TourOfSardinia said:
I don't think I've seen AC pulling a team-mate (.e.g. Vino) up a hill before
- unless you count the Crit Delfin. 2009 when he helped compatriot Valverde up the steeps slope against Evans.
I'm not sure he is very comptente out of his normal role of looking after number one.

could be wrong though.

AC worked for Leipheimer last year in Castilla y Leon...

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Vino4ever!!!!!!!!!

I am pulling for Cunego, though.

Me to. But my brain tells me Contador will win. If there is a close finish with a group the only guy who I think has the mettle and form to match Contador right now is Valverde. He was close in the hills in Paris Nice. Very close. One of those three guys. I don't think the Schleck's are in good enough form or have shown form this year to justify favouritism. Andy was on fire last year but AC didn't show. Did Valverde race last year?

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Yes, he was 19th, part of the big group that came in at 1'24". He couldn't really lead the sprint there with Joaquím Rodríguez coming in just ahead of the group, and like Evans (16th), Fränk (23rd) and Freire (14th) he didn't have anything more to give.

Fair enough. I'd rate Anton and one of the Katusha boys (Rodriguez or Kolobnev) as top 5 places. Don't know about Evans. If Evans podiums here, then I will be further convinced he is not taking the Giro seriously. Sastre and Pellizotti are taking their time off. Why not Cadel? The Giro is only a few weeks away. Gilbert is good lately as well. I am surprised with Simon Gerrans. Thought he'd podium in one of the classics this year. He has been a no show. Should be an interesting race. I'd love to see Cunego win one. I wanted Gilbert to get one and he has, so now it would be nice to see the little prince bag one.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Fair enough. I'd rate Anton and one of the Katusha boys (Rodriguez or Kolobnev) as top 5 places. Don't know about Evans. If Evans podiums here, then I will be further convinced he is not taking the Giro seriously. Sastre and Pellizotti are taking their time off. Why not Cadel? The Giro is only a few weeks away. Gilbert is good lately as well. I am surprised with Simon Gerrans. Thought he'd podium in one of the classics this year. He has been a no show. Should be an interesting race. I'd love to see Cunego win one. I wanted Gilbert to get one and he has, so now it would be nice to see the little prince bag one.

+1

Evans will also be heavily marked from fleche. His 3 best allies are out of the giro which were scheduled to ride there and he will lose a fair bit of time in the ttt.Not surprised about gerro though. Fleche is just too steep for him and there are better sprinters and climbers who can ride away from the field. I think he could win amstel though in the fututre.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
Australian Nationalist Zealots for the Advancement of Cadel?

:D ROFL
Australian New Zealand Army Corps

The day we remember our war vets. I find this day should be australia day in my opinion. Listening to the bugle calls when everyone is silent is electric and makes me feel proud to be an aussie.:)