• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liggett and Sherwen Commentary

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

swuzzlebubble said:
movingtarget said:
Wonder why RCS said no ?
Eurosport made a good offer for exclusive rights to EU & AU
Must not have been worth it for RCS to try and keep AU separate for a deal with SBS
Unfortunate that Eurosport in AU is only available via Foxtel bundle

Yes I had to add the sports package on Foxtel to see the Giro as I always prefer to watch it on a big screen than on the computer but at least I can drop the package after one month and go back to my standard one.

The Barb said:
zlev11 said:
keenan makes almost as many mistakes as phil and his speaking cadence is awful to listen to

The cadence thing is a matter of personal preference (I for one enjoy it) but the suggestion that Keenan makes almost as many mistakes as Phil is demonstrably wrong.

Have to agree with this! Phil and Paul keep making mistakes like saying Abraham Olano was in the break on a Tour stage last year or the year before, the problem being that he retired in 2002. And they do that kind of stuff ALL THE TIME! Keenan might be annoying and has a touch of the fanboy but he really doesn't make many mistakes, with McEwen next him it works quite well.

Tonton said:
With Armstrong gone, I don't mind the two clowns: they're not THAT bad...During the Giro, I came across a Spanish team of announcers that was really good.
During the end of the Armstrong era I found myself looking for Spanish feeds as well. I'm not fluent, but I speak and understand enough of it, specifically cycling lingo in any language, it was better than those two cheering him on, plus all the mistakes.

Just had a post, on the Eurosport commentary thread, that I pretty well dislike Eurosport commentary and like and appreciate what Phil & Paul give to the sport/commentary. I didn't want to reproduce the post here, but wanted to throw my voice to Phil & Paul (please put Bob Role in more often!).

Re:

Nacho said:
Just had a post, on the Eurosport commentary thread, that I pretty well dislike Eurosport commentary and like and appreciate what Phil & Paul give to the sport/commentary. I didn't want to reproduce the post here, but wanted to throw my voice to Phil & Paul (please put Bob Role in more often!).
Nacho, what are you on (not referring to the Nike ad) my friend :) ? More Bob Rolle? The Same Bob Rolle who makes that crappy blog/podcast from his hotel room, with socks, Playboy and lotion in the background? He's bad. BTW, what is Ventura up to these days? Having a beer with Landis or on the air? In my neck of the woods, Phil-Paul have disappeared from mainstream TV. I'm not crying rivers TBH...

Tonton said:
Nacho said:
Nacho, what are you on (not referring to the Nike ad) my friend :) ? More Bob Rolle? The Same Bob Rolle who makes that crappy blog/podcast from his hotel room, with socks, Playboy and lotion in the background? He's bad. BTW, what is Ventura up to these days? Having a beer with Landis or on the air? In my neck of the woods, Phil-Paul have disappeared from mainstream TV. I'm not crying rivers TBH...
Ha! I don't watch those Bob Rolle videos, off of the nbcsports facebook page, so I cant attest to him in doing them in his socks, or underwear for that matter! I like his analysis and commentary, he was a pretty good cyclist in his time. I have no idea about Robbie Ventura -- I think I remember him being on the OLN/Versus a long time ago for commentary about the TDF, around the time I first started getting it with the cable package I had, over 10 years ago, but I haven't noticed him on there for years.

You mentioned Phil-Paul have disappeared from mainstream TV in your neck of the woods. Are you by chance from Australia/New Zealand? I read some of the posts about them not going to be in the broadcast booth, but I couldn't quite figure out if it was only for the TV networks Down-Under, or if it was going to be world-wide. I sure hope it's not world-wide, and that they continue to give commentary on NBC Sports in the USA. Would you clarify what locations those posts were about?

Nacho said:
Tonton said:
Nacho said:
Ha! I don't watch those Bob Rolle videos, off of the nbcsports facebook page, so I cant attest to him in doing them in his socks, or underwear for that matter! I like his analysis and commentary, he was a pretty good cyclist in his time. I have no idea about Robbie Ventura -- I think I remember him being on the OLN/Versus a long time ago for commentary about the TDF, around the time I first started getting it with the cable package I had, over 10 years ago, but I haven't noticed him on there for years.

You mentioned Phil-Paul have disappeared from mainstream TV in your neck of the woods. Are you by chance from Australia/New Zealand? I read some of the posts about them not going to be in the broadcast booth, but I couldn't quite figure out if it was only for the TV networks Down-Under, or if it was going to be world-wide. I sure hope it's not world-wide, and that they continue to give commentary on NBC Sports in the USA. Would you clarify what locations those posts were about?

On SBS Ausralia Phil andPaul have been the commentators for years, last year they only did the last few hours of each stage but now it seems they will only be guests on the broadcast. McEwen and Matt Keenan who usually does the early part of each stage before handing over to Phil and Paul, will be doing the commentary on most of each stage by the sounds of it. I have noticed that SBS have not had Phil and Paul on some of the classics as well, instead picking up the Eurosport feed. Sounds like a changing of the guard for Australian cycling fans.

movingtarget said:
Nacho said:
Tonton said:
Nacho said:

On SBS Ausralia Phil andPaul have been the commentators for years, last year they only did the last few hours of each stage but now it seems they will only be guests on the broadcast. McEwen and Matt Keenan who usually does the early part of each stage before handing over to Phil and Paul, will be doing the commentary on most of each stage by the sounds of it. I have noticed that SBS have not had Phil and Paul on some of the classics as well, instead picking up the Eurosport feed. Sounds like a changing of the guard for Australian cycling fans.
Thanks. I see, it's not as bad as it first sounded. It (probably) won't affect USA audiences, and sounds like they will still give some commentary. Had to happen some time. When they added Vande Velde I kind of got the idea they (network) was putting him in to learn the trade while they still had P&P around. They could have gotten somebody better though, I'm sure of it! They have another play-by-play announcer that has done some races this and last year. I don't know his name, but to me he sounds like and reminds me of the way Al Michaels talked and gave play-by-play. I kind of like him. They matched him with Bob Rolle in a race last year (maybe early this year??), and I thought the both of them did real well for race coverage.

Nacho said:
Tonton said:
Nacho said:

Phil and Paul will commentate for the American feed of the TDF - Phil and Paul gave Keenan his first shot at commentary at the 2006 Mitchelton Bay Classic.

swuzzlebubble said:
movingtarget said:
Wonder why RCS said no ?
Must not have been worth it for RCS to try and keep AU separate for a deal with SBS
And as a result, the Australian TV audience size for the Giro was less than 10% of previous years.

It didn't hurt European Giro ratings (especially the Netherlands) as Eurosport is free to air there.

I don't have Foxtel and never will - it's hideously expensive. Other than Eurosport, there's nothing on there I'm interested in or don't have via other better and cheaper means (e.g. Netflix, Stan, Fetch TV). Access to a broadcast of the Giro that I could record and watch later at a sensible hour saw the minimum cost of $750 for a Foxtel subscription. Sorry, for 3 weeks of Giro that's too high an entry ticket price.

I made do with internet streams of the recorded coverage but it shuts out a lot of people who would have watched, like my Mum for instance who can an watch/record a TV station OK but hooking up a computer to do internet video streaming is user unfriendly and doesn't happen. Plus the streams are often pretty poor quality and unreliable.

Alex Simmons/RST said:
swuzzlebubble said:
movingtarget said:
Wonder why RCS said no ?
And as a result, the Australian TV audience size for the Giro was less than 10% of previous years.

It didn't hurt European Giro ratings (especially the Netherlands) as Eurosport is free to air there.

I don't have Foxtel and never will - it's hideously expensive. Other than Eurosport, there's nothing on there I'm interested in or don't have via other better and cheaper means (e.g. Netflix, Stan, Fetch TV). Access to a broadcast of the Giro that I could record and watch later at a sensible hour saw the minimum cost of $750 for a Foxtel subscription. Sorry, for 3 weeks of Giro that's too high an entry ticket price.

I made do with internet streams of the recorded coverage but it shuts out a lot of people who would have watched, like my Mum for instance who can an watch/record a TV station OK but hooking up a computer to do internet video streaming is user unfriendly and doesn't happen. Plus the streams are often pretty poor quality and unreliable.

Foxtel is very expensive but by adding the sports package it only cost me an extra $29.00 for the month and I could have reverted back to my existing package after one month but if you can't watch it live you need the box that lets you record and store which is extra of course if you are not already a subscriber. It all depends on how much you want to watch something. For me the $29.00 was well spent. I pay $52.00 per month for the Drama package which enables me to watch series that I like and because they get replayed there is no need to have the recordable box. But if Foxtel keep hiking their prices it's not looking good for them and Channel 10 is in the hands of the receivers and also owned by the same people.

[/quote]On SBS Ausralia Phil andPaul have been the commentators for years, last year they only did the last few hours of each stage but now it seems they will only be guests on the broadcast. McEwen and Matt Keenan who usually does the early part of each stage before handing over to Phil and Paul, will be doing the commentary on most of each stage by the sounds of it. I have noticed that SBS have not had Phil and Paul on some of the classics as well, instead picking up the Eurosport feed. Sounds like a changing of the guard for Australian cycling fans.[/quote]

This is a good move, and IMO is long overdue. Keenan's voice can grate a little, but he has incredible knowledge of the riders and races (rather refreshing after years of Phil and Paul and their TDF central commentary....1,000 mentions of the Tour to every 1 mention of the Giro and Vuelta is a little too much for me, even when it is the biggest race in bike racing), and fan boyism can have it's place for viewer amusement/entertainment, as you want some emotion in a broadcast, so long as the commentator is not totally ignorant of the other riders. Keenan clearly isn't. Whilst his favs in the GC are Porte and Chaves (and he possibly fancies Froome too), he will regularly give glowing comments towards a rival such as Contador, and I'm sure that this will be the same again this July, even if it comes down to a close third week between Alberto and Richie.

McEwen is an outstanding special comments man in all respects, providing a nice balance of insight and occasional humour. I have to admit to being surprised about Robbie as a commentator. He shows a grand expertise and interest in the GC battle. If you didn't know him as a cyclist, you wouldn't even guess that he was a sprinter.

I think I have heard Carlton Kirby a couple of times on highlights on youtube, and if it's the guy I think it is, then I like him. Such enthusiasm!!

TRENDING THREADS