• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liggett and Sherwen Commentary

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
"Naomi Cantell". I know he only gets to mention her about twice a year, and lots of people mispronounce Noemi as Naomi, but you'd think after covering cycling since Pitt the Elder was Prime Minister that he'd have learnt something about Italian pronunciation...

oh, and "he'll want to win today's stage". Yes he will, Phil. Everybody will.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
bobmcpartland said:
I wonder how many times PS has used the phrases, 'The heads of state of the peloton', or 'There's a serious organisation going on at the front'

What's your most annoying phrase?

A fine job of work.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
rzombie1988 said:
Where can I watch the Eurosport feed? I've never seen it before.

Go to cyclingfans.com the day/time of the race. Go down the page about 1/2 way - there will be several links for several feeds in several languages. If one doesn't work keep trying. Sometimes they work for several hours at a time, other days you have to keep switching around feeds. It just depends. The coverage is excellent - VERY FEW commercials (and they are funny commercials, too) and good commentary.

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
CatsNK said:
Go to cyclingfans.com the day/time of the race. Go down the page about 1/2 way - there will be several links for several feeds in several languages. If one doesn't work keep trying. Sometimes they work for several hours at a time, other days you have to keep switching around feeds. It just depends. The coverage is excellent - VERY FEW commercials (and they are funny commercials, too) and good commentary.

Steephill also has links:

http://www.steephill.tv/

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
bobmcpartland said:
I wonder how many times PS has used the phrases, 'The heads of state of the peloton', or 'There's a serious organisation going on at the front'

What's your most annoying phrase?

asphyxiate the peloton. I think that would kill them PS.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I like both guys, even when they do blow a call. Phil is sort of like having your grandfather there saying what's on his mind. Nothing wrong with that.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
i gotta say they do make me laugh and thats a good thing

phills corker last night "these are the country people of france, most of them will never have heard of Paris..."

Paul "well i think maybe..."

Phill" well they probably would have heard of Paris but...but maybe not gone there."

SaftyCyclist said:
Phil seems a bit out of touch to me, Sherwen has to keep correcting him, I think his time is over. Eurosport coverage is much better.

I think people need to give Sherwen a break. First of all, he's stuck in a phone booth with Phil Liggett for 5 or 6 hours a day for weeks on end.

Second, it is incredibly hard to see clearly and call a race while peering out through Lance's bellybutton...

Today Paul pointed out that there was 10k to go, and then Phil started rambling about something, and when he was done rambling (at 9.2k to go) he said they were looking for the 10k to go banner.

I still think Phil provides more value than his errors detract, but the ratio is quickly going the wrong direction.

They need to start finding replacements, at least one for Phil. I can see Bob and Paul doing commentary together, but nobody is as good at doing the sprint call as Phil was back in the day.

Hummer needs to go. He has the same problem as Trautwig: no cycling in the blood.

I wonder what kind of announcer Armstrong would be.

Thanks for unearthing an already discussed thread instead of starting a new one.

After watching the Giro highlights I'm now a fan of Carlton Kirby. Great announcer, the new David Duffield if you ask me. Loves the sport, very enthusiastic, and great at calling a sprint.

I know I'm not in the majority though. Cycling fans here even detested the guy a couple years ago.

viewtopic.php?t=13974

Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Thanks for unearthing an already discussed thread instead of starting a new one.

After watching the Giro highlights I'm now a fan of Carlton Kirby. Great announcer, the new David Duffield if you ask me. Loves the sport, very enthusiastic, and great at calling a sprint.

I know I'm not in the majority though. Cycling fans here even detested the guy a couple years ago.

viewtopic.php?t=13974

That particular thread starter still has absolutely nothing else to care about and in the Eurosport Commentary thread you can see him (or her, perhaps, going by the name) moaning about Kirby on a weekly basis. I'm not a fan either, though.

Re:

Ferminal said:
Replaced on the host feed for the Tour by Keenan and McEwen.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/article/2017/06/13/its-australias-year-2017-tour-de-france-july-sbs

Only a good ten years too late. Anyway, McEwen has been one of the more astute English analysts since starting to do some work the last few years but they will need to watch their fanboyism (yes Keenan has done some ok host commentary before but too much just for SBS in more recent times).

Keenan can be accused of fan-boyism, though McEwan is fine - They are both good callers and analysts.

Re: Re:

yaco said:
Ferminal said:

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/article/2017/06/13/its-australias-year-2017-tour-de-france-july-sbs

Only a good ten years too late. Anyway, McEwen has been one of the more astute English analysts since starting to do some work the last few years but they will need to watch their fanboyism (yes Keenan has done some ok host commentary before but too much just for SBS in more recent times).

Keenan can be accused of fan-boyism, though McEwan is fine - They are both good callers and analysts.

Sounds like semi retirement for Phil and Paul. I still prefer them to Keenan and McEwan. Keenan has a voice like a metronome and never shuts up. SBS are probably cutting costs as usual and this year they didn't even screen the Giro, not even highlights and because the ASO also runs the Vuelta now, SBS is probably getting a better deal for both races and decided the Giro had to go. McEwan's analysis is good as it should be. I actually preferred Phil and Paul with McEwen's analysis.

movingtarget said:
yaco said:
Ferminal said:

Sounds like semi retirement for Phil and Paul. I still prefer them to Keenan and McEwan. Keenan has a voice like a metronome and never shuts up. SBS are probably cutting costs as usual and this year they didn't even screen the Giro, not even highlights and because the ASO also runs the Vuelta now, SBS is probably getting a better deal for both races and decided the Giro had to go. McEwan's analysis is good as it should be. I actually preferred Phil and Paul with McEwen's analysis.

SBS are showing no Italian races that are organised by RCS - They no longer have the rights.

yaco said:
movingtarget said:
yaco said:
Ferminal said:

SBS are showing no Italian races that are organised by RCS - They no longer have the rights.

They wanted to show the RCS races and tried to obtain the rights to the races but RCS said no, it had nothing to do with cost cutting. Now they have ditched Phil and Paul the next move surely has to dumping Mike Tomalaris, he is just plain awful and for someone who has fronted SBS cycling for so many years he still seems to have no actual understanding of the sport.

StryderHells said:
yaco said:
movingtarget said:
yaco said:
Ferminal said:

They wanted to show the RCS races and tried to obtain the rights to the races but RCS said no, it had nothing to do with cost cutting. Now they have ditched Phil and Paul the next move surely has to dumping Mike Tomalaris, he is just plain awful and for someone who has fronted SBS cycling for so many years he still seems to have no actual understanding of the sport.

I don't mind Tomo as the front man as long as he avoids talking tactics but I think he is better than he was because now he knows when to leave it to others. Tomo would be better than Craig Foster ! I think Tomo and Vogels with McKenzie are alright together I don't see Tomolaris going anywhere somehow. Wonder why RCS said no ?

With Armstrong gone, I don't mind the two clowns: they're not THAT bad, like KIrby...entertaining. There's much worse, like the French TV with Adam (finally demoted - what took so long). L'Equipe 21 has a pretty good crew, although Stephen Roche is low energy...but he's spot on. During the Giro, I came across a Spanish team of announcers that was really good.

All in all, the two clowns aren't THAT bad :) . With Armstrong, Voigt, Flecha, and BIG Thor Hushovd gone, they will find their Reichenbach (hi Kirby!) and entertain us more. If you're discriminating (i.e. knowledgeable), they are not too good, but for the average viewer, they're pretty good.