• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liggett and Sherwen Commentary

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
The commentary of PL and PS of last nights stage hit a new low point of shocking commentary. When people are riding off the front of the pack, all we hear is, "lance needs to pace himself up to the leaders like he did on the Joux plane in 2001". IRRELEVANT! All the way through the stage we get this commentary about Lance when there is a race going on! Then when we get to the sprint when lance is on the back when the sprint is opening up, "LANCE IS MAKING HIS RUN FOR THE LINE". He kept making those comments all through the sprint when lance was basically in 2nd last position. It would of been nice to hear about Fedrigo.

also during paris Roubaix, when the gap to Fabian Cancellara got to 61 seconds, Phil goes on about how that was the gap between LA and Jan Ullrich in the 2003 tdf! What the f### has that got to do with the race?

People may question why I am bringing this up now but last night pushed me over the cliff when it comes to intolerable commentary. Yes I have the ability to mute the tv, but why should I the viewer have to put up with no commentary and dead silence in the middle of the night? Surely some people who are involved in television and broadcasting of the tour can see my point?

It was just awful! I personally don't want to get Foxtel (pay tv) so I can watch the tour/cycling with proper commentary but if I have to I will because I don't want to miss out on watching this great sport.

:mad::mad::mad:

A

Anonymous

auscyclefan94 said:
The commentary of PL and PS of last nights stage hit a new low point of shocking commentary. When people are riding off the front of the pack, all we hear is, "lance needs to pace himself up to the leaders like he did on the Joux plane in 2001". IRRELEVANT! All the way through the stage we get this commentary about Lance when there is a race going on! Then when we get to the sprint when lance is on the back when the sprint is opening up, "LANCE IS MAKING HIS RUN FOR THE LINE". He kept making those comments all through the sprint when lance was basically in 2nd last position. It would of been nice to hear about Fedrigo.

also during paris Roubaix, when the gap to Fabian Cancellara got to 61 seconds, Phil goes on about how that was the gap between LA and Jan Ullrich in the 2003 tdf! What the f### has that got to do with the race?

People may question why I am bringing this up now but last night pushed me over the cliff when it comes to intolerable commentary. Yes I have the ability to mute the tv, but why should I the viewer have to put up with no commentary and dead silence in the middle of the night? Surely some people who are involved in television and broadcasting of the tour can see my point?

It was just awful! I personally don't want to get Foxtel (pay tv) so I can watch the tour/cycling with proper commentary but if I have to I will because I don't want to miss out on watching this great sport.

:mad::mad::mad:

Going out on a limb here................... but it could be cuz he's won 7 times before and was on podium last year.............

Hey...... just saying. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just pointing out why they do it.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I muted it right after the lame excuse that Sherwen gave about Lance not having as many attacks as the youngsters in his 38 year old legs....having just attacked the group, been caught by them and then, one at a time, they all zipped off his wheel!! PRICELESS...:p

Ahmm... sorry, I digress.

Foxtel won't help you during TdF....Eurosport doesn't have it, only SBS....

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Saddlesaw said:
I muted it right after the lame excuse that gave Sherwen about Lance not having as many attacks as the youngsters in his 38 year old legs....having just attacked the group, been caught by them and then, one at a time, they all zipped off his wheel!! PRICELESS...:p

Ahmm... sorry, I digress.

Foxtel won't help you during TdF....Eurosport doesn't have it, only SBS....

Oh yeah cause old age has certainly stopped Jens from attacking :rolleyes:

And Moreau (2 yrs older than LA) was in the break and attacked on both NC climbs for maximum points.

Nice insert Sherwin

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Biffinator said:
Going out on a limb here................... but it could be cuz he's won 7 times before and was on podium last year.............

Hey...... just saying. Maybe that has something to do with it.

Don't shoot the messenger. I'm just pointing out why they do it.

That is no excuse! They still should commentate the race! They mention him when the happenings of the race have absolutely nothing to do with him and mention him in races he is not even in!:mad:;)

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
mute it and be your own announcer. be sure to practice this one first: "evans is sliding out the back" you may be using it a lot ;)

actually i agree, it does get really old.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
The commentary is appauling. I believe they are being dictated to by the US producers and as such need to commentate as directed. It's sad an annoying especially hearing the repeated mantra over and over. Yet I know its the producers fault and P&P just have to suck eggs to get that pay check......:D

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
nvpacchi said:
Oh yeah cause old age has certainly stopped Jens from attacking :rolleyes:

And Moreau (2 yrs older than LA) was in the break and attacked on both NC climbs for maximum points.

Nice insert Sherwin

moreau got dropped on the last climb, what are talking about..an jens hasn't attacked this year as much :mad:

anyways i don't the sbs guy,why not put those 3 together...an wasn't it last year the talked to team cars an bosses?? good idea just to hear another presons view

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I switched to Eurosport's commentary for the Tour for this very reason, a number of year's ago. Back in the Armstrong era, I found it unbearably biased in favour of Armstrong.

Sherwen in particular is intolerable in his pro-Armstrong utterings. I'll never forget the day Beloki crashed on the stage to Gap. Armstrong did indeed perform a miraculous feat in avoiding the crash and then rejoining the group, but Sherwen (and Liggett) barely mentioned poor-old Beloki's plight as he lay broken on the roadside. He just kept bleating on about Armstong.

This link neatly sums things up http://goo.gl/bI8F.

Both of course, a mates of Armstrong and their broadcast goes live to the US as well as UK. I think they are pro-US and English-speaking riders to the detriment of others.

Eurosport's commentary is by no means perfect, but I think it gives a more balanced perspective of the racers.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
trealawboy said:
I switched to Eurosport's commentary for the Tour for this very reason, a number of year's ago. Back in the Armstrong era, I found it unbearably biased in favour of Armstrong.

Sherwen in particular is intolerable in his pro-Armstrong utterings. I'll never forget the day Beloki crashed on the stage to Gap. Armstrong did indeed perform a miraculous feat in avoiding the crash and then rejoining the group, but Sherwen (and Liggett) barely mentioned poor-old Beloki's plight as he lay broken on the roadside. He just kept bleating on about Armstong.

This link neatly sums thing s up http://goo.gl/bI8F.

Both of course, a mates of Armstrong and their broadcast goes live to the US as well as UK. I think they are pro-US and English-speaking riders to the detriment of others.

Eurosport's commentary is by no means perfect, but I think it gives a more balanced perspective of the racers.

Its the format of the airing that culminates in it being crap. I was brought up on Eurosort commentary. Now live in US and suffer immense sufferings on how cycling is aired. I stream Eurosport and they have 1 commercial for evey 4 Versus has. Then Versus has the in show adverts and then they have segment interviews which also are brought to the viewer by a 'sponsor'. Then 'ride of the day' is also brought to us by a 'sponsor'. At least Nissan sponsors the last 10KM or mountain commercial free. Its horrific TV. That's capitalism !!

trealawboy said:

i wouldn't say they're particulariy pro UK...

they've been down on Sky ever since the start.. when Wiggins was in the escape group yesterday he never got a mention, yet it was Lance this, Lance that, etc..

they're completely dictated to by the US networks... hopefully they'll be better next year when he's gone.. i may have to subscribe to Eurosport online otherwise next year as i can't take another year of them

A

Anonymous

Sorry Oz fan I feel your pain

but everybody else seems to know. The PP show is irrelevant when it comes to the actual sport of cycling. Its about entertainment for the cycle-ignorant masses. The basic assumption, by Versus, is that the masses (if there is such a thing in cycling ) really only want to hear about LA. So same script every day. Put it on auto pilot. yakety yackety yackety "a certain Mr Lance Armstrong",yackety yackety yackety, "Lance". Those are the cards we have been delt. We have to dig into that suitcase of courage, the valise of valor, the sachel of strength, the backpack of bravery, the pocketbook of pluck and take our punishment like men.

trealawboy said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtZhG2kWVLY

This is a link of that Beloki incident you are talking about. That i posted in the 'A Sherwen Howler' thread. As you say he just keeps slobbering of his Lanceness.......

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
mowie133 said:
moreau got dropped on the last climb, what are talking about..an jens hasn't attacked this year as much :mad:

anyways i don't the sbs guy,why not put those 3 together...an wasn't it last year the talked to team cars an bosses?? good idea just to hear another presons view

Moreau got dropped, recovered, chased back, and attacked in the final kilometer for maximum mountain points.

Yes Phil and Paul may have a fancy eye for Lance, but how could we turn our backs on them, after all those classic lines they have delivered. Below is some of the best by Phil.

"He climbs like an angel" Regarding Pantani in 95 tour.

"Ekimov is trying to get on terms!"

"And the heads of state have come to the fore..."

"There's no reason to rush into hell." Commenting on a slow moving Paris-Roubaix Peleton.

"He's dancing on his pedals in a most immodest way!" In reference to Dag Otto Lauritzen.

(http://www.liggettfan.com/main.htm)

I am rather looking forward to hearing them as they grow old together, just like a retired couple.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
What I don't understand is why they don't switch it about. Like Bob Roll and Sherwen for a day. Or Liggett and Ventura etc....I mean we need diverifaction on a 3 week tour.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Head wind into the valley said:
I guess those where the good old days.

Today it's more like:
340x_futurama-brain-slug.jpg

Look, Paul, he's dancing on the pedals!

(Now imagine those brain slugs being black and yellow.)

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
They are trying to entertain the whole english speaking world they have done it since English speaking TV first started covering the Tour. Can anyone do better maybe we could get Fothergill to come back and do the job.

Not easy to keep waffling on about a bike race for hours on end.

If you dont like it you can always follow CN live reports.

goggalor said:
I guess those where the good old days.

Today it's more like:
340x_futurama-brain-slug.jpg

Look, Paul, he's dancing on the pedals!

(Now imagine those brain slugs being black and yellow.)

f*cking brilliant analogy!!

I think we've all ascertained that George n Mildred are pants as far as their commentary has become. To those with a beef like ACF, I suggest your rant is misdirected. Send your complaint (with your examples) to SBS. It's not hard to have someone else sit there and talk about what they see on the little monitor in front of them, so if they get enough complaints they may switch...

Then again, in less than a week, we will no longer see much of LA (excepting news reports from the New York Times, etc...), and the two old muppets won't have too much to refer to him about when commentating...

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
brianf7 said:
They are trying to entertain the whole english speaking world they have done it since English speaking TV first started covering the Tour. Can anyone do better maybe we could get Fothergill to come back and do the job.

Not easy to keep waffling on about a bike race for hours on end.

If you dont like it you can always follow CN live reports.

I think the point being made is that P & P are talking to the masses. Yet it's us the cycling fans who are the majority of the viewership.

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Archibald said:
f*cking brilliant analogy!!

I think we've all ascertained that George n Mildred are pants as far as their commentary has become. To those with a beef like ACF, I suggest your rant is misdirected. Send your complaint (with your examples) to SBS. It's not hard to have someone else sit there and talk about what they see on the little monitor in front of them, so if they get enough complaints they may switch...

Then again, in less than a week, we will no longer see much of LA (excepting news reports from the New York Times, etc...), and the two old muppets won't have too much to refer to him about when commentating...

I like Austraila. I feel sorry for you being that country in that part of the world when it comes to stuff like this. Heck I could pick up TourRadio in my home growing up in Ireland. I also use to move the satelite several degrees back in the analouge days to pick up RAI Italy to watch the racing....Usually got the Giro however in german on that german sports network DPR or something....crazy times!!!

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
I want to know how much they have been paid by that 'Clean Bottle' guy, they won't shut up about this "amazing" invention when he is seen running alongside the riders. It is such a blatant plug, I hope the broadcasters have got some cash for it too.

boardhanger said:
I also use to move the satelite several degrees back in the analouge days to pick up RAI Italy to watch the racing....

have been streaming from either RAI or one of the belgian stations. The Italian commentary during the Giro was priceless!! Switching back to ITV4 for the Tour has been doing my head in with tweedledumb and tweedle-even-dumber doing the commentary...

TRENDING THREADS