• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liggett, Scherwen, Roll, Watson

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
ebandit said:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/despite-usadas-evidence-liggett-remains-armstrongs-supporter

how gullible is the ol' idiot phil liggett.........says he received text from a renowned scientist that if lance took all the drugs that report claimed lance would be.....................DEAD

and the ol' idiot believes it..............holding out that lance could yet be innocent

and the worst news is that phil can't retire..........he is under contract 'til

Yes, but at least Phil has admitted that he's no happier about it than we are, from the article:

I can’t walk away because of contracts I’ve signed until 2016. I do find it depressing at times.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
jilbiker said:
At 70 what do u expect.

That he wants to keep his job at all costs. But then he shouldn´t lie gain, saying he can´t get off. As you and i said: nothing easier than that.
Anyway he´s from LA-Camp, what can we expect other than lies from this side...

May 6, 2010
Visit site
"But I’ve no reason not to support Armstrong. I don’t know. He told me to his face that he didn’t and I had no reason not to believe it. Don’t forget, on television we don’t actually mix with the riders. I call the pictures as I see them."

[http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/despite-usadas-evidence-liggett-remains-armstrongs-supporter]
lance_armstrong_phil_liggett_220.jpg

Phil Liggett "not actually mixing with the riders."

So, when Armstrong was chasing down Simeoni and doing the omertà hand signal, how did you see that picture, Phil? And how did you call it?

At a certain point, a tool of evil is evil. Lance Armstrong took $40 million in government money and proceeded to spend it on blood transfusions, EPO, payments to Dr. Ferrari. Emma O'Reilly, Frankie and Besty Andreu, Simeoni, Bassons, Walsh, and others were attacked by a powerful legal machine that aggressively called truth lies and lies truth. And Phil Liggett was part of that machine, a mouthpiece voicing the words and will of evil.

And all he has now are excuses. "I looked at him in the eye, what was I supposed to do?" What you need to do now is stop making excuses for yourself, apologize to all those whose lives you helped destroy--all the clean riders that never had careers because of you--all the people who spoke up over the past fifteen years and were destroyed because of it--all the vicious lies you helped spread. And then crawl into a silent retirement and stay there, and hope nobody actually goes into the archives of your lies to find all the times you helped Lance Armstrong slime those who attempted to tell the truth; all the times you ignored or criticized those who tried to tell the truth. The next words out of your mouth, Phil, need to be an apology followed by a retirement announcement--and those need to be the last public words out of your mouth too.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I seem to think that Phil Liggett has suspected Lance was a doper for quite awhile. The problem is that he has a conflict of interest in that he has business dealings with Lance. He has to play the game otherwise it hurts his financial future.

He has chosen money over the truth and dignity for some time now. Simple as that. To think that I was a fan of Phil Liggett. If he couldn't add 2 and 2 together, especially after the Ullrich saga, etc then he is one dumb **** commentator.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Love the Scenery said:
"But I’ve no reason not to support Armstrong. I don’t know. He told me to his face that he didn’t and I had no reason not to believe it. Don’t forget, on television we don’t actually mix with the riders. I call the pictures as I see them."

[http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/despite-usadas-evidence-liggett-remains-armstrongs-supporter]

So, when Armstrong was chasing down Simeoni and doing the omertà hand signal, how did you see that picture, Phil? And how did you call it?

At a certain point, a tool of evil is evil. Lance Armstrong took $40 million in government money and proceeded to spend it on blood transfusions, EPO, payments to Dr. Ferrari. Emma O'Reilly, Frankie and Besty Andreu, Simeoni, Bassons, Walsh, and others were attacked by a powerful legal machine that aggressively called truth lies and lies truth. And Phil Liggett was part of that machine, a mouthpiece voicing the words and will of evil.

And all he has now are excuses. "I looked at him in the eye, what was I supposed to do?" What you need to do now is stop making excuses for yourself, apologize to all those whose lives you helped destroy--all the clean riders that never had careers because of you--all the people who spoke up over the past fifteen years and were destroyed because of it--all the vicious lies you helped spread. And then crawl into a silent retirement and stay there, and hope nobody actually goes into the archives of your lies to find all the times you helped Lance Armstrong slime those who attempted to tell the truth; all the times you ignored or criticized those who tried to tell the truth. The next words out of your mouth, Phil, need to be an apology followed by a retirement announcement--and those need to be the last public words out of your mouth too.

That's really an excellent post.

I cannot really add anything other than Lance didn't just use Liggett, the fool Roll & that incredibly despicable shill Sherwen, he used the entire media to help ruin people's lives and indoctrinate his little robots to turn their rage against anyone who spoke the truth. Lance formed the media into a self perpetuating unpaid machine that did his dirty work while he carried on playing up his faux saintly image as the cancer 'awareness' crusader risen from the dead.

I'm in complete disgust & rage after reading the CN article on Liggett's POV on LA's-& not because his words & position surprised me-after all they're "business partners" & it was expected he would stand by his side. What annoys me the most is the same attitude & BS that he appears to have alike LA to "deny" everything to the very grave...

He "must" retire.
The cycling world does not need Phil Liggett anymore:mad:

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
cn does not exactly have lily white hands either when it comes to any of this. there's plenty to go around and they could do and could have done a little more (and by 'a little' I mean ' a lot') to make people aware of how incestuous these relationships are, but then it would invite scrutiny of their own relationships so they just play dumb.

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok at age 70 it's probably to be expected that ol' Phil requires the odd medication here and there. But jeez, that doctor of his must have subscribed he some **** with severe side-effects. He's completely dellusional :eek:

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
a journalist that becomes a fan of a cyclist maskes himself unbelievable and especially in the case with armstrong. so liggett and also guys like mart smeets should get the **** out

Indurain said:
I seem to think that Phil Liggett has suspected Lance was a doper for quite awhile. The problem is that he has a conflict of interest in that he has business dealings with Lance. He has to play the game otherwise it hurts his financial future.

He has chosen money over the truth and dignity for some time now. Simple as that. To think that I was a fan of Phil Liggett. If he couldn't add 2 and 2 together, especially after the Ullrich saga, etc then he is one dumb **** commentator.
Having moved my career through business circles where small ideas took off and grew very big very fast, it is obvious more than the racers themselves were aware. In the Silicon Valley, The Next Big Thing is cocktail hour chatter. Anybody who had a finger in professional racing, especially in the US, in the late 90's through the 2000's made money. Bike manufacturers, race organizers, promoters, race owners, sports casters, clothing manufacturers probably knew as much or more than many junior neophite racers just getting involved. It's a small community. The only credit I will give Mr. Liggett is this, if in fact this was the point he was making, but in doing so would perhaps implicate himself.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
What the hamster said to itself as it ran on the wheel:

I had an email from an eminent scientist from the US yesterday. (Oh crap, emails are too easy to trace... quick Phil, think. Ah, I've got it... SMS.) An SMS actually. It said if Lance Armstrong had taken the drugs outlined by USADA he’d have been dead ten years ago. He’s an eminent scientist and a very intelligent man. (Oh crap, the guy is going to ask me his name... quick Phil, think. Ah, I've got it... hearsay.) I don’t know his name, the SMS came from a secondary person.” (Oh crap, I hope the guy doesn't ask me how I know that the anonymous expert is an eminent scientist and a very intelligent man)

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Love the Scenery said:

And all he has now are excuses. "I looked at him in the eye, what was I supposed to do?" What you need to do now is stop making excuses for yourself, apologize to all those whose lives you helped destroy--all the clean riders that never had careers because of you--all the people who spoke up over the past fifteen years and were destroyed because of it--

Epic post . We also should not forget the many young riders that died as guinea pigs in the early days of EPO. Or also Xavier Tondo who just coincidentally died after speaking to police(killed by a garage door are you friggin kidding me?!!!. The tremendous courage of those mentioned above who put their lives & careers at risk by stepping forward. Phil is in denial that he was not only part of the machine to destroy but literally the mouthpiece of the evil. He took the lie and spread it to millions worldwide. And to not know? What a crock. EVERY person at that level talks & knows. Ex pro's talk on training rides that i have been on. The big tipoff has always been a domestique who suddenly becomes a grand tour winner. Champions always showed promise, they were not water carriers. They might have performed that role but everyone knew it was simply a matter of time. But when a donkey becomes a racehorse everyone winks and knows the truth. To bring up all this "He looked me in the eye..." Is simply the old lawyers trick of "I had no knowledge of the situation" the numbers on Armstrong literally never added up. The deeper into the sport you are, the more you KNEW it was all a Lie. People with the experience and knowledge of Phil & Paul & Bob, know what a tremendous lie was being shoved down the public's throat and they allowed their greed to destroy people. Saw it happening and allowed it to happen.
Where i come from, you step forward and say "this is wrong", even at the risk of your own well being. We see the people who choose the right path. Lemond, Oreilly, Andreu, Walsh, Kimmage, Tondo, and so many others. and they were let down by people like Phil. disgusting.

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Read what he said:

"I had an email from an eminent scientist from the US yesterday. An SMS actually. It said if Lance Armstrong had taken the drugs outlined by USADA he’d have been dead ten years ago. He’s an eminent scientist and a very intelligent man. I don’t know his name, the SMS came from a secondary person.

So he claimed he had a message from an eminent scientist, but he doesn't know his name, because the message actually didn't come from him, but from a secondary person.

Liggett is now using some phantom scientist whom he doesn't know the name to disapprove the USADA report, produced based on sworn testimonies to the agency, bank records, test results, etc.

Phil, do us a favour, check yourself into a retirement home. You are doing more damage to your buddy than helping him out.

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
"He has been the best athlete in the world and the drugs have not made him that much better, He’d have probably still have won on a level playing field and still been the champion. He’s also brought a lot of happiness to a lot of people and no one seems to have taken this into account..."

I don't even know where to begin here...

How NBC or Versus or whatever the hell it is now can let this guy on the air anymore is equally disgusting...

Time for Phil and Co. to drive the jag offa short pier...

I remember my impression watching the 2000 Tour was that Phil & Paul were relatively dismissive of Armstrong's chances - that the previous year was a fluke because so many "real riders" were out in 1999. They were obsessed with Ullrich - Jan was the wonderboy to them then. They were clearly not fanboys then. Somewhere along the way that attitude changed, of course. I wonder what it wa$?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
If any of the fanboy wallybrains needed a definition of "Hearsay" this is it:

"I had an email from an eminent scientist from the US yesterday. An SMS actually. It said if Lance Armstrong had taken the drugs outlined by USADA he’d have been dead ten years ago. He’s an eminent scientist and a very intelligent man. I don’t know his name, the SMS came from a secondary person.”

Actually I'm not sure it even qualifies. Maybe "Total BS" is better?

Mongol_Waaijer said:

"I had an email from an eminent scientist from the US yesterday. An SMS actually. It said if Lance Armstrong had taken the drugs outlined by USADA he’d have been dead ten years ago. He’s an eminent scientist and a very intelligent man. I don’t know his name, the SMS came from a secondary person.”

Believe that falls under the heading of "desperate clutching at straws".

pedaling squares said:
What the hamster said to itself as it ran on the wheel:

Brilliant!

He’s smart guy Phil. Every time the talks he slips in a new fact about the investigation. Last time the witnesses were had been paid. This time Lance should dead with the amount of drugs it said he took.

Funny thing Phil. Lance was nearly dead! He got cancer remember from taking drugs!

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Gotta say it...Phil looked despondent when talking about the situation. Like he came to grips about Santa, the Easter bunny, and the tooth fairy all at once. This is actually pretty damning, even with all the awkward, broken sentences.

Mongol_Waaijer said:

Lol
Priceless! Comedy gold in triple

Anyone heard a peep out of Roll?

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
When USADA's report came out I was sure it will be a new beginning.......not for doping in the peleton........but for my soar ears having to listen to fool Phil never again. I am sure Lance pays tv stations to keep him employed as this is the cruelest revenge ever. I became pretty good in recognizing riders on tv as I turn the sound off as soon Phil turns it on.
Can we appeal to the human rights commission against this torture?

TRENDING THREADS