• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liggett, Scherwen, Roll, Watson

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Honestly I want and really look forward to hearing from that idiot Bob Troll.

Please, somebody tweet him or something!!!!!!!! This is all comedy gold.

I almost want to keep Liggett around because of his follies... but it is also in a way too pathetic. What a sad joke of a man he has become.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
TheEnoculator said:
Read what he said:

"I had an email from an eminent scientist from the US yesterday. An SMS actually. It said if Lance Armstrong had taken the drugs outlined by USADA he’d have been dead ten years ago. He’s an eminent scientist and a very intelligent man. I don’t know his name, the SMS came from a secondary person.

So he claimed he had a message from an eminent scientist, but he doesn't know his name, because the message actually didn't come from him, but from a secondary person.

Liggett is now using some phantom scientist whom he doesn't know the name to disapprove the USADA report, produced based on sworn testimonies to the agency, bank records, test results, etc.

Phil, do us a favour, check yourself into a retirement home. You are doing more damage to your buddy than helping him out.

If he'd said "from Australia" we could have been sure it was our very own Krebscycle.

Phil is an intertubes noob...hasn't figured out that anyone can be anyone on the intertubes.

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I pity the Fool!

Actually, the more Phil says, the more I am convinced he has dementia. Isn't holding contradictory beliefs at the same time a definition of insanity? Seriously, at the rate he's slipping there won't be much left of Phil to kick around by the time his contract expires in 2016.

Let's just let him be.

Now Buffoon day France Roll, on the other hand, HE'S the fool I pity. Come on Bob, let's hear what you got to say. You should know about "The Black Days of Cycling" since that is when you were a pro, mixing it up in The Bigs with your heroes. Tell it like it was..... We're waiting....

rickshaw said:
Actually, the more Phil says, the more I am convinced he has dementia. Isn't holding contradictory beliefs at the same time a definition of insanity? Seriously, at the rate he's slipping there won't be much left of Phil to kick around by the time his contract expires in 2016.

Let's just let him be.

Now Buffoon day France Roll, on the other hand, HE'S the fool I pity. Come on Bob, let's hear what you got to say. You should know about "The Black Days of Cycling" since that is when you were a pro, mixing it up in The Bigs with your heroes. Tell it like it was..... We're waiting....

I'm starting to think the same about poor ol' Phil. He is from a different era when cricket was cricket and heros were just that. He just can't accept that the emperor in naked. I'm convinced that he was duped. What business genius from Weisel and LA - free marketing for the criminal enterprise and man was it effective.

Day France Roll OTOH is a different story. He knows exactly what went on and is nothing but a lying scum-bag. Looking foward to see how he plays this. Similarly to Sherwen he's too young to retire and needs cycling.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
rickshaw said:

Let's just let him be.

Re: the bold. F. Scott Fitzgerald said something to the effect that an artist is someone who can hold two opposing viewpoints and still function. Now, the question regarding Phil Liggett is whether he is an artist, if indeed verbally felating Lance Armstrong is a form of conceptual art that the world has yet to grasp its aesthetic significance. I would think not.

Maybe one of the reasons I loathe Lance Armstrong is that whenever Phil was commentating on a race he would reduce everything in the race to a subtext to whatever Lance was doing or not doing, unless of course Lance was on the attack or what have you and then it was an orgy of verbal diarrhea extolling the virtues of the pharmaceutical wonder.

I don't think Phil is insane, just deeply misguided and perhaps getting on in years.

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I really used to like Roll when he was writing for VN. I think that his Bobke book was a very good and enjoyable read. I remember him writing about the way Bugno transformed himself in the early 90's. Did not necesarily mention PED's but strongly inferred what was happening.

The one issue that gets me is that Lemond hired him to ride MTB's and do select races for Z in (?) 92 after he was dumped by Motorola. It seemed like he forgot that and did not mind taking a few swipes at GL once he started feeding at the Armstrong trough.

He has allowed himself to turn into an utter buffoon when I honestly feel that he could have been better than that.

Maybe it has something to do with working with Phil and Paul for all of those years. Associative intelligence decline.

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone ever checked the connections between the TV cycling journos and UCI? Why do the guys who cover the sport have these gigs? It's not as if they are in any way good at their job.

Eg. Sean Kelly, old mate of Pat.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
trompe le monde said:
Re: the bold. F. Scott Fitzgerald said something to the effect that an artist is someone who can hold two opposing viewpoints and still function. Now, the question regarding Phil Liggett is whether he is an artist, if indeed verbally felating Lance Armstrong is a form of conceptual art that the world has yet to grasp its aesthetic significance. I would think not.

It's called cognitive dissonance. And describes how he sounded / looked in the interview quite well.

TRENDING THREADS