• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Likely already stated, but...

Having followed the sport for 20 years, one of Lance Armstrong's biggest supporters, and defenders, I felt compelled to ask why does most feel that Alberto Contador is such a bad guy for showing why he has taken over in a team that was searching for such a long time for a GC rider? I can understand that Bruyneel is team director with a sponsor who will probably fold at the end of the year and thinking that LA may secure jobs (including Levi, who seems to have it out for AC) for all involved? Would LA have stood for another GC contender in the USPS/Discovery era? I wish on the Ventoux, that Bruyneel gave each guy 3 domestiques, with one floater, and nearing the climb gave freedom to both. Allez both AC and LA!

A

Anonymous

Yea, I gotta' say that you are MUCH too reasonable to be Lance's biggest fan and supporter. I am one of his biggest detractors, and I can tell you that the tenor of your post is quite refreshing for a Lance fan. Cheers.

Just a thought

Regardless of reasons for LA's return he wants an 8th! The team is certainly not there solely to promote his foundation and a great cause! It's team Astana, not Livestrong? Competition is just that...

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
All of Armstrong's teams have been built solely for one purpose, for him. There is no chance in hell his ego would have allowed for a co-leader. Heras, the multiple Vuelta winner was bought over to be his mountain goat lieutenant and thus relinquishing his own GC hopes.

As for Alberto, he's only seen as a bad guy by the staunch LA supporters.

Anyhow, I'm glad I got in early on this thread before inevitable barrage

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Fortheloveofthesport said:
Having followed the sport for 20 years, one of Lance Armstrong's biggest supporters, and defenders, I felt compelled to ask why does most feel that Alberto Contador is such a bad guy for showing why he has taken over in a team that was searching for such a long time for a GC rider? I can understand that Bruyneel is team director with a sponsor who will probably fold at the end of the year and thinking that LA may secure jobs (including Levi, who seems to have it out for AC) for all involved? Would LA have stood for another GC contender in the USPS/Discovery era? I wish on the Ventoux, that Bruyneel gave each guy 3 domestiques, with one floater, and nearing the climb gave freedom to both. Allez both AC and LA!

Nice try Alberto.... I didn't realise your English had improved so much.

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
unsheath said:
All of Armstrong's teams have been built solely for one purpose, for him. There is no chance in hell his ego would have allowed for a co-leader. Heras, the multiple Vuelta winner was bought over to be his mountain goat lieutenant and thus relinquishing his own GC hopes.

As for Alberto, he's only seen as a bad guy by the staunch LA supporters.

Anyhow, I'm glad I got in early on this thread before inevitable barrage

I am also a big Lance fan and I do not see Alberto as a bad guy, either. I think Alberto is sick-good. I can not wait - CAN NOT WAIT!! - to watch him and Andy/Sastre/Lance duke it out on a stagge. I hope we are treated to this.

I really am a big Lance fan. Live in Austin. Was here when we had one of our own local guys riding in TDF. Cool! And then....oh no, he has cancer. Bad cancer. Thought for sure he would die. And he goes public and STAYS public about it. He beats cancer and survives. Not only that....he goes on to win the TDF :eek:!! Not once, but 7 times. Used to see cyclist on the orad here, now you can not go ANYwhere without seeing cylist. I am now one of them. I love biking. I love seeing Lance in town and at football games, etc. I have not been lucky enought to ride with him, but several groups of friends have met up with him on the road and he always says hey before he rides away. Just a regular biker dude around here.

All this AND I like Alberto. When I heard Lance was coming back and would be on the Astana team with Alberto, my first thought was that this would only help Alberto get even better - that he would likely be unstoppable after being a team mate with and learning from Lance. When I watch most of these stages I see Alberto on Lance's wheel and I think "pay attention, stick with him and you will win". When I see Alberto pulling the team on a section of the TT trial and possibly pulling lance into yellow, I think " how cool is THAT, young fast guy giving his all for the team".

Now, I see and read all the drama. I wonder how much of it is media hoopla and how much really is inside the team. I think, I hope, that the team is there for the team, they have several strong, STRONG, contenders and that if they all work for ech other, they will have at least one winner and might very well have several podium spots. No one knows better than them who is the better rider - they train together, they know what Lance is good at and what Alberto is good at, and where Levi could sneak in and kick both their a$$es - ha :p

I like the Ventoux scenario - here are you boys, give it your best shot, ALLEZ!

Jul 12, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
If you think you are one of Armstrong's biggest supporters and defenders yet cannot see that Contador is traitor and a friend of cancer then you are in for a big surprise when you meet the real biggest supporters. :p

Nice one ;)

TRENDING THREADS