• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

liquid food vs solid food

I see a few guys on my weekend route now pulling out little plastic bottles with "green" thick liquid in them ? Its not the gu gels nor anything like gels.
They claim they prefer their food in liquid form as its easier to digest. I'm the odd man out pulling out my good old cliff bar and rice cake. I'm tempted to try but have no idea what they have concocted in that drink like substance. I assume it starts with green veggies of some sort ?

Anyone else drink vs eat on a long ride ? If so, what's your recipe ?

For rides over 3 hours, I prefer a liquid fuel like Hammer Perpetuem or PacificHealth Labs Accelerade, especially if I know the pace is going to be hard. Solid food is just to difficult for me to get down when the pace is hard. However, there are times during longer rides (6 hours+) when I begin the crave solid foods. My favorite is the Hammer Bars.

But I will just as readily down a banana, peanut butter & jelly sandwich, or ham & cheese sandwich. Part of my training this year included several 140 mile rides. After several hours I was tired of anything with a sweet taste, and ham & cheese sandwiches fit the bill. One guy I know also puts jelly on the ham & cheese, I suppose for a quicker fuel source.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Baby food is interesting- home made liquid gel????

Liquid if I am on the go tempo and above for long durations. I will eat solids but have to stop or slow recover spin

Faves are Hammer Gel and Stinger

Hammer bars too and If you have never tried the Vanilla stinger waffle then you are missing out. I know it has a pic of LA on it but they are the bomb and good incentive to get to the top for a break mmmmmmmmmmmmmm

home jobs are nutella, honey and PB on white. oatcakes, and from a poster here I learned what to do with all those little mini mince pies the family bakes between now and new years.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Envy some guys drinking some man made goobly glop ? Not me .... I'll take some real food over that stuff every and any day of the week :)

Try some fresh dates.... they melt in your mouth and are like rocket fuel. I'm talking fresh ones though ... the the dried supermarket junk.

oldborn

BANNED
May 14, 2010
Visit site
Tapeworm said:
Baby food could be an option?

That comes in soft squeezey packs.

What kind of baby food you have Down Under which comes in soft squeezey packs?:eek:
Here we have some really strong and healthy mothers, no need for suplements:D
And after 2 weeks we gave them Blood Sausages, iron-rich doctors say.