• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

(Liquigas) Cannondale Future

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know the state of play with Liquigas-Cannondale at the moment? With Liquigas pulling out, and an exodus of a significant amount of riders taking place, is there any news on whether a second sponsor is going to join Cannondale next season?

In Sagan, Caruso and Moser they have a trio of riders that could form the nucleus of the team for many seasons to come - not forgetting old man Basso, even if the days of him being a GC rider look to be behind him now - but the sight of so many of their top gregarios leaving doesn't send out the greatest of signals.

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Looks like with Liquigas cutting investment the team is having to cut the wage bill accordingly. They will still have a decent team though. Basso to have a go at Giro/Vuelta GC then let Sagan run riot at the Tour and the classics. I hope they keep a similiar kit, I like the lime green, so easy to spot!

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Cannondale certainly to take over lead sponsorship, they also have Agnosti, a great climber, and Viviani who is a great sprinter. They will have a real young team that could be amazing in three or so years.

I hope the new jersey will look like this one:
5808966125_6801625dac_o.jpg

QUkWwl.jpg

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully they are able to keep going, I would miss the lime green in the peloton. Luckily for them even though they are losing a lot of their best riders they don't have to worry about points because they have Sagan, who can single-handedly get all the points a team needs. ;)

And with Nibali and other climbers out, and with guys like Sagan, Moser, and Viviani we could see Liquigas shift to more of sprinters team then a GT team.

Jan 2, 2010
Visit site
I was really surprised to see Liquigas not entering the Italian races this week.

They're sending a very strong squad to Colorado. That seems to support the idea that Cannondale is increasing sponsorship and the team is becoming more American.

They have a great record with young talent so I hope the basic structure is staying in place.

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
The Cobra said:
Looks like with Liquigas cutting investment the team is having to cut the wage bill accordingly. They will still have a decent team though. Basso to have a go at Giro/Vuelta GC then let Sagan run riot at the Tour and the classics. I hope they keep a similiar kit, I like the lime green, so easy to spot!

In that case he wil be a direct rival to Nibali on both races. Fuglsangs agent just confirmed that Fuglsang will get the Tour while Nibali will get the Giro and Vuelta.

Should be fun with the old champ vs the young padawan :)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all the replies - some interesting points were raised. If Liquigas remains as a lesser sponsor it might help with the transition moneywise until they find someone else.

The Cannondale side of the sponsorship has flexed its muscles in recent seasons by taking Basso and Nibali over to the US - and with the Trittico Lombardo being missed this season, it does look as though the team's traditional races might be giving way to races in newer markets, not only in the US but in Asia also.

greenedge said:
Maybe last year but certainly not this year. Lets' just hope Basso can improve next year.

If they change focus for Sagan they should be okay but if they are serious about grand tours then they better open the cheque book. Basso is not the answer. I think his best years are behind him like Evans and Menchov. Still quality riders but hard to see winning another grand tour. Evans would be the only one of the three who could surprise simply because he won the Tour 12 months ago.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Sagan's biggest goal is to win the Ronde van Vlaanderen(well besides the WC maybe, but that's with country teams anyway), so that's the type of guys Liquigas needs to buy. They would also be useful for Milan-San Remo and the Amstel Gold Race. Think of riders like Luca Paolini.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
sagan can win any monument he wants plus sprints in gt's. the teamneeds riders for all of that.

I recently read an interview where he said Paris-Roubaix is nothing for him. He's good on the cobbles, but only if those are on hills(his words). He said that the Ronde van Vlaanderen is the classic he wants to win the most.

So his classic season will most likely consist of Milan-San Remo, E3 Harelbeke, Gent-Wevelgem, Ronde van Vlaanderen, Brabantse Pijl and the Amstel Gold Race. He might extend his peak to the Ardennes classics as well, not sure about that.

TRENDING THREADS