• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Liquigas Cannondale

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
2011 was a particularly brutal Giro year, while 2007 was quite easy. In 2007 Zoncolan was the last, of a few, climbing stages. And then it was just a short flat stage ending in the wall called Zoncolan. 2011 was nowhere like this. While the Zoncolan stage was made much easier, it still had a hard mountain stage the day before, and the hardest stage in the giro the next day.

It's really not completely comparable. That doesn't make Nibali's performance in 2007 believable of course...And not the ones in 2011 and 2010 either.

That's not really true that 2007 edition was quite easy. It was certainly raced much harder than 2011.

There was a long very warm stage to Nostra Signora della Guardia, sprint to Pinerolo, stage to Briancon where the race shattered with 60km to go, MTT, stage to Bergamo where there was a chase on for the last 75km, a very tough stage to Tre Cime where the race also exploded quite far from the finish and then a transition state to Lienz.

Just 2 "easy" stages and 1 rest day in 8 days before the Zoncolan.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Netserk said:
The other day I saw the Zonc times from '07, '10 & '11 and noticed that Nibali was faster in '07 when he was a dom than he was in '10 & '11 when he podiumed the Giro :eek:

Says a lot about the state of Liquigas (and cycling) in '07...

Link

funny to see schleck there third place.
Schleck, the flagbearer of, well, of what exactly.

anyway, indeed the list suggests quite a change from 2007 to 2010.
BP or USADA investigation? a combination I guess.
from macro to micro.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Samson777 said:
Yeah perhaps, but this guy..In the big picture, who cares?
as dazed and confused suggests, its election time, so pat could care.

a bit like those seven nobodies who just tested positive at the world atheltics championships.

it's sad to see, thouhg, a young guy's carreer being cracked for political reasons. Meanwhile, the uci remained toothless against lance, or now doing nothing aginst a 41 year old überdoper. Toothless against Sky.
Last but not least, toothless against the doctors.
Magni shouldn't have been in the game no more.

Samson777 said:
Yeah perhaps, but this guy..In the big picture, who cares?

well, nobody and thats the point. Anto doping work without taking down anybody who matters. Popping him will show up in the stats later. And it potentially sends a message to Cannondale to scale back a bit. This is Verdruggens model. Don't rock the boat, but show progress statistically. Pick and choose who goes down.

sniper said:
as dazed and confused suggests, its election time, so pat could care.

a bit like those seven nobodies who just tested positive at the world atheltics championships.

it's sad to see, thouhg, a young guy's carreer being cracked for political reasons. Meanwhile, the uci remained toothless against lance, or now doing nothing aginst a 41 year old überdoper. Toothless against Sky.
Last but not least, toothless against the doctors.
Magni shouldn't have been in the game no more.
Even if his career is destroyed for political reasons, It's not exactly sad, is it..? I mean, I don't suppose you believe they took down a clean guy?:)

Otherwise I agree with the rest of the post, even do I still can't really see this giving Pat the Victory, or changing anything at all really, regarding to his priority at this point.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
Jesus Christ, jumping to conclusions much?

at that age, doping allegations, fired.
sounds tough to me.
meanwhile, he knows that everybody's onto something.
so not just tough, but in his mind it must also be rather unfair, making it even tougher to swallow.
agreed, does not have to be a definite carreer cracker, but a fair guess is that he has some sleepless nights ahead of him.
and if not a carreer cracker, at least a carreer changer, and a permanent stain on his cv.

EDIT: i now understand that you were referring to the "for political reasons" part of my statement. In that regard: agreed, speculation.

TRENDING THREADS