• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Literature explaining the basics of blood values, lung capacity, effects of PEDs etc.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
In comparison to the wider public I would say I knew more about physiology of performance, but for a huge (in terms of knowledge and interest, not "big boned" chap) cycling fan, I'm rather embarrassed about my lack of knowledge in this area. Can anyone suggest any comprehensive literature that covers the basics? Looking for information specifically, but not limited too, blood levels, lung capacity, power output etc. You get the idea. Basically everything from performance to physiology and how the two effect each other. Also any intermediate sources particularly discussing the effects of performance enhancing drug use would be helpful. I'm looking for titles which are without bias. I don't want to read one man's speculation on another's performance, I can get that here.

It's about time I got clued up.

Thanks in advance.

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Googling the various well known performance enhancing drugs will normally return some good basic information on the subject. Plus there are some underground steroid bibles aimed at Bodybuilder's available online that go through use of testosterone plus detection avoidance using epitestosterone.

If you have a good basic understanding of human physiology you can always use Google scholar to search for journal articles on the particular subject your interested in. Unfortunately many of these journals won't be freely available though some good papers are.

The Willy Voet book has the reputation of being quite extensive in describing the pharmacy, and I guess those parts weren't edited out of the english version. Voet tested himself the Clenbuterol for instance.
Not as scientific as a proper thesis on the subject, and probably a bit dated now, but heh...

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Bobby G said:
In comparison to the wider public I would say I knew more about physiology of performance, but for a huge (in terms of knowledge and interest, not "big boned" chap) cycling fan, I'm rather embarrassed about my lack of knowledge in this area. Can anyone suggest any comprehensive literature that covers the basics? Looking for information specifically, but not limited too, blood levels, lung capacity, power output etc. You get the idea. Basically everything from performance to physiology and how the two effect each other. Also any intermediate sources particularly discussing the effects of performance enhancing drug use would be helpful. I'm looking for titles which are without bias. I don't want to read one man's speculation on another's performance, I can get that here.

It's about time I got clued up.

Thanks in advance.

Your question isn't very specific, because you seem want to know everything (which isn't a bad thing, of course!).

For starters, I think http://www.sportsscientists.com/ is a very nice site for you to get up to date. Most things you want to know are or will be explained there in a very good and understandable way..

More specifically, on the Bio passport (and blood values):
- http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/03/biological-passport-legal-scientific.html
- http://www.sportsscientists.com/2011/03/biological-passport-effective-fight-or.html

Although by some people (here) considered as 'the enemy', Michele Ferrari's website is key. http://www.53x12.com/do/show;jsessionid=011A2F8F14EE0906CCE1720200A43A6E?page=front

I guess you can read up there on various topics, especially in the 'articles' section (and for race and power analyses in the 'in depth' section - for which it would be recommended to understand things about power and VAM, which in case you don't already know, he explains in the former section).

If you think you're ready for more 'heavy' stuff, you could try research like this http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1332514/?page=3

I guess you'll know what to do. Good luck!

pharmacology-doping-and-sports-a-scientific-guide-for-athletes-coaches-physicians-scientists-and-administrators.jpg

A little bit of history, ethics, basic physiology and effects of PEDs. 200 pages long.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the (positive) responses. Googling things is all well and good, but half the time, if you are not au fait with the subject you are researching, you can't be sure of the accuracy of the literature.

Nilsson, I'll get on to those links. Look decent. Like you say, it isn't specific as I'm not entirely sure at what point to start. Therefore your post in extremely helpful ta. The Willy_Voet paper will be my starting point I think.

AlpineClimbr, am I right in thinking you signed up purely to post that link? :eek::rolleyes: