• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Livestrong lobbyist working for Lance the doper

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
This is the real reason for Armstrong's attempt to get an injunction and pull things into regular courts. It is a delaying tactic so he will have more time to apply pressure to corrupt politicians and to influence potential witnesses.

If the Congressman reported it this way it's clear Lance has overestimated what his money can buy. The real news is that a Livestrong lobbyist was doing the dirty work. Shouldn't they be cutting deals with the IRS right about now?

May 27, 2012
Visit site
It is no secret what I think of Juan Pelota, but this is the single scummiest thing I have ever seen him do in the name of cancer. It was bad enough to be subjected to images of suffering cancer patients in a commercial that promoted him and his sponsors, and was almost solely about saying that he didn't dope because people have cancer, but this is something more. This is the most truly disgusting use of people's suffering, and MONEY donated to help cancer patients I have ever seen. The contempt I feel is beyond words. Lance, you just undertook a personal war you have with the USADA, and did it on the backs of people suffering and dying from cancer. Unbelievable. Honestly unbelievable.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:
It is no secret what I think of Juan Pelota, but this is the single scummiest thing I have ever seen him do in the name of cancer. It was bad enough to be subjected to images of suffering cancer patients in a commercial that promoted him and his sponsors, and was almost solely about saying that he didn't dope because people have cancer, but this is something more. This is the most truly disgusting use of people's suffering, and MONEY donated to help cancer patients I have ever seen. The contempt I feel is beyond words. Lance, you just undertook a personal war you have with the USADA, and did it on the backs of people suffering and dying from cancer. Unbelievable. Honestly unbelievable.

As long as he can compel them to spend Livestrong money to defend him in the name of charity preservation what has Lance to lose? As bad as it seems it isn't near as disgusting as the thought process that justified the whole cult in the first place. Lobbyists get paid; how about the lower paid and volunteer staff? It'd be interesting to see reactions to this from those that actually give their time.

Oldman said:
If the Congressman reported it this way it's clear Lance has overestimated what his money can buy. The real news is that a Livestrong lobbyist was doing the dirty work. Shouldn't they be cutting deals with the IRS right about now?

My thought is that the time for politicians to meddle in the affair was before June. Once the letter was sent out or certainly by the time the review board greenlighted charges, the case against Armstrong reached the equivalent of an indictment being handed down. Politicians generally will not interfere with cases that are underway. The accused becomes a bit toxic because no one wants to be remembered for backing the guy after he is convicted. Trying to interfere smells bad and it draws unfavorable press.

I could not read the whole article. I found it interesting that news of the meeting would be announced by the politician. It is like the guy wants to make sure that there are no ethics questions in the future, which could arise if he kept the meeting secret, the USADA was derailed, and information about the meeting leaked at a later time. Or maybe the politician was just p!ssed off that Armstrong would try to put the thumb on him using a cancer charity as a front.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
The phrase clutching at straws spring to mind.

By the way RR, that link still does'nt show the full article. Could you copy and paste it here.

The image of a piece of feces floating in a pool of vomit comes to mind when I think of it, but your results may vary.

A spokeswoman for the Lance Armstrong Foundation called the description of the lobbyist's visit "inaccurate," and said the charity was active on Capitol Hill last week. The purpose of the visit, she said, may have been misconstrued by Mr. Serrano's office, because the topic of USADA may have come up in passing. "All of our lobbying is focused on the well being and access to care that our constituents rely on," she said.

...and this one...

The foundation formed a partnership with the World Triathlon Corporation's Ironman triathlon series that would raise more than $1 million for the foundation, according to a lawsuit Mr. Armstrong filed against USADA earlier this month. Mr. Armstrong also stood to personally benefit from that contract.

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
"A spokeswoman for the Lance Armstrong Foundation called the description of the lobbyist's visit "inaccurate," and said the charity was active on Capitol Hill last week. The purpose of the visit, she said, may have been misconstrued by Mr. Serrano's office, because the topic of USADA may have come up in passing. "All of our lobbying is focused on the well being and access to care that our constituents rely on," she said."

Calling a US Congressman a liar is not a very smart move and one that is sure to backfire.

In the past, I was willing to give Livestrong a pass but now, once Lance goes down, I hope this agent of his ego goes down with him.

Microchip said:
...and this one...

I'm sure it did come up in conversation. And of course is was misconstrued the exact purpose of the visit.

Lobbyist don't come cheap. I wonder what this gets filed under? Travel? Legal? Stamps? Stationary?

One thing shows me is the lengths that Armstromg is going to and probably a very good indication on how he manged to get the Federal charges dropped.

Problem is what can one politication do? Shutdown USADA all on his own? It would need a movement of a major kind to get it closed down.

Has anyone noticed something of late? Everytime Armstrong makes a play the door gets shut in his face. Not seen a run of outs like this for sometime.

BroDeal said:
A rebuke like this will limit Armstrong's options to influence other politicians. It will make other pols leery.

I wonder when someone will look into who else the lobbyist visited near the same time.

This sort of thing being out there publicly so quickly really blunts this strategy early. Back to another tactic. It won't be the last.

ChewbaccaD said:

+1 Sometimes you just have to say "that's it"

May 27, 2012
Visit site
There are some really good people associated with LAF. People who spend countless hours of their lives helping people with cancer. Great people. They are merely pawns for a man whose only mission is self-aggrandizement, power, and money.

Unfortunately, I still worry that he will beat this and be even more emboldened by his win.

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
Has anyone noticed something of late? Everytime Armstrong makes a play the door gets shut in his face. Not seen a run of outs like this for sometime.

Simeoni certainly noticed it.

"I suppose it just shows how the balance has shifted; before, I think there were forces greater than our understanding working to protect him; now there’s probably also a reason why they’ve decided to take him down."

TRENDING THREADS