• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Livestrong lobbyist working for Lance the doper

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bill Murray said:
I think we need to be above reproach if we are to critisize Armstrong for shameless behavior, otherwise we are no different to what we complain about. Livestrong do directly help people with cancer and their families. They may not have helped a relative of ours, but they do help cancer victims nonetheless. It's understandable that people in those charities are grateful, even though we see doping in the tour de france as a much more important.

I think we have to face the fact that Livestrong is really a very minor player when it comes to assisting cancer 'victims' (what's with all this 'victim cr@p?, my wife is no victim, she is a freaking survivor like no other, disgusting) and does nothing or next to nothing in terms of research. Without him there would be an equal amount of charity money going to other cancer charities that may use that money to do other things than glorify a very troubled man's reputation. He does nothing to expand the pie. He does the opposite.

In the big picture, Livestrong is irrelevant. How's that for above reproach?

May 27, 2012
Visit site
Bill Murray said:
I think we need to be above reproach if we are to critisize Armstrong for shameless behavior, otherwise we are no different to what we complain about. Livestrong do directly help people with cancer and their families. They may not have helped a relative of ours, but they do help cancer victims nonetheless. It's understandable that people in those charities are grateful, even though we see doping in the tour de france as a much more important.

Discuss that with your psychiatrist.

As for this topic, you have no real point. I am done discussing it with you. BTW, you are giving yourself away. Just can't help yourself, can you?

ggusta said:
I think they employ people to go flack for him to try and keep the home fires burning. The efforts seem to be growing more and more half hearted.

Even the interns have become dispirited.

Back on topic. You'd think if Livestrong didn't see a problem with the lobbying then they wouldn't have denied why the lobbyist was there. In addition I've never seen lobbying appear on the balance sheet at LS. Be interesting to find out how much they've spent over the last 3 years on such activity.

May 27, 2012
Visit site
thehog said:
I still can't get the link to the full article. Can anyone send a new link?

Just google "Lance Armstrong lobbyist" under Google news, and then click the link there. It will let you see the whole article.

thehog said:

Back on topic. You'd think if Livestrong didn't see a problem with the lobbying then they wouldn't have denied why the lobbyist was there. In addition I've never seen lobbying appear on the balance sheet at LS. Be interesting to find out how much they've spent over the last 3 years on such activity.

I guess I just found my answer: 280k in '09: http://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/clientsum.php?id=D000044961&year=2009

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Inferring that Rep. Serrano is a liar with memory problems is not the smart move. He was not the only Rep. visited that day. It would be funny if others also heard similar pitches.....yeah, that would be funny;)

This is the tip of the iceberg. Wonderboy's use of the political system to his benefit is disturbing

thehog said:

I think it's fairly obvious at this point that the whole apparatus is nothing more than one man trying to enlist an army to protect the mythology he created about himself. It's really an amazing story. It's more amazing than the story he tries to sell. It's just a downer so the world doesn't need that.

You have to give credit where it's due. He's smart as heck. He's lasted this long. It's just about played out, but still, an amazing tale.

Dean Jones: I’ve been reviewing Darren’s internship journal. Doing laundry…
Kramer: …Yeah.
Dean Jones: …Mending chicken wire, hi-tea with a Mr. Newman.
Kramer: I know it sounds pretty glamorous, but it’s business as usual at Kramerica.
Dean Jones: As far as I can tell your entire enterprise is nothing more than a solitary man with a messy apartment which may or may not contain a chicken.
Kramer: And with Darren’s help, we’ll get that chicken.

thehog said:

I think it's fairly obvious at this point that the whole apparatus is nothing more than one man trying to enlist an army to protect the mythology he created about himself. It's really an amazing story. It's more amazing than the story he tries to sell. It's just a downer so the world doesn't need that.

You have to give credit where it's due. He's smart as heck. He's lasted this long. It's just about played out, but still, an amazing tale.

Dean Jones: I’ve been reviewing Bill Murray’s internship journal. Doing laundry…
Kramer: …Yeah.
Dean Jones: …Mending chicken wire, hi-tea with a Mr. Newman.
Kramer: I know it sounds pretty glamorous, but it’s business as usual at Kramerica.
Dean Jones: As far as I can tell your entire enterprise is nothing more than a solitary man with a messy apartment which may or may not contain a chicken.
Kramer: And with Bill Murray’s help, we’ll get that chicken.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Inferring that Rep. Serrano is a liar with memory problems is not the smart move. He was not the only Rep. visited that day. It would be funny if others also heard similar pitches.....yeah, that would be funny;)

This is the tip of the iceberg. Wonderboy's use of the political system to his benefit is disturbing

They were implying, no inferring...but anyway...

mostly, I'm just anxious to see the spin from the speedo crowd, among some of whom Cancer Jesus truly does walk on water. I'm sure the owner of that goofy website devoted to speedos will have an article out soon explaining that this either all made up, or for the greater good of a free society....all while desperately trying to keep the cash cow of Our Lord Lance alive.

The one big worry from this is that politicians like to look like they actually are doing stuff, and if they few Armstrong's stock as dropping they'll see an opportunity to make themselves look good by looking deeper. All of a sudden, they start wondering why you're flying all these cute girls around to hold "Livestrong" signs up at the Tour of Cali, and why they're staying in $1,200 hotel rooms. allegedly. Then it snowballs, and all of a sudden every paperclip spent at Livestrong starts to fall under scrutiny.

This is a serious move of brazen desperation.

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Interesting, the only face of Livestrong I ever see is when I Google a health, fitness, supplement, diet or training related topic. Invariably, the top hits are all from Livestrong.com, which makes me wonder exactly where the funds are spent.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
A rebuke like this will limit Armstrong's options to influence other politicians. It will make other pols leery.

I wonder when someone will look into who else the lobbyist visited near the same time.

Well, I'm not so sure. We don't know if the lobbyist spoke with other Congressmen before or after his meeting with this particular Congressman. If that happened, maybe the others were a little more receptive to what the lobbyist was selling...

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:
You can now move on from the distraction that was a permanently banned member returning.

smells like BPC?

Come in saying: I believe in "X"

then after a few posts, "but let me tell you why X is a lie...."

Turner29 said:
"A spokeswoman for the Lance Armstrong Foundation called the description of the lobbyist's visit "inaccurate," and said the charity was active on Capitol Hill last week. The purpose of the visit, she said, may have been misconstrued by Mr. Serrano's office, because the topic of USADA may have come up in passing. "All of our lobbying is focused on the well being and access to care that our constituents rely on," she said."

Calling a US Congressman a liar is not a very smart move and one that is sure to backfire.

In the past, I was willing to give Livestrong a pass but now, once Lance goes down, I hope this agent of his ego goes down with him.

The elder José Serrano is a US Representative. His son, whose name is also José Serrano, is a US Senator.

Both are part of the very powerful Democratic political machine in the Bronx, and let me tell you neither man wants to get involved in such unscrupulous skulduggery.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:

Why are you shocked? We all should have known that this was coming. Armstrong has been successful in getting more time before he has to face USADA. Now, he plans to use that time to obtain more public support, leverage any political support that he can muster, and to win the legal argument against USADA. The WSJ article is just a minor case of bad PR.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
There has GOT to be a limit of how many favors he can ask of people..
You would think that he would have used a lot of them up if, in fact, he got the DOJ case dropped through politics. Has Lance crossed the threshold from political asset to political liability yet ????

ManInFull said:
Well, I'm not so sure. We don't know if the lobbyist spoke with other Congressmen before or after his meeting with this particular Congressman. If that happened, maybe the others were a little more receptive to what the lobbyist was selling...

Double shifts for the girls at the Yellow Rose.

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
ManInFull said:
Why are you shocked? We all should have known that this was coming. Armstrong has been successful in getting more time before he has to face USADA. Now, he plans to use that time to obtain more public support, leverage any political support that he can muster, and to win the legal argument against USADA. The WSJ article is just a minor case of bad PR.

I sincerely hope that public lobbying does not sway Judge Sparks and hopefully, just like the Rep. Sensenbrenner rebuke by Sen. McCain, more than just a minor case of bad PR.

We can help counter Armstrong PR by posting outside this forum. I do, and not just cycling related ones.

Deagol said:
There has GOT to be a limit of how many favors he can ask of people..
You would think that he would have used a lot of them up if, in fact, he got the DOJ case dropped through politics. Has Lance crossed the threshold from political asset to political liability yet ????

I agree that it looked like political pressure, but is there any evidence that it wasn't a strategic delay ala assertions elsewhere in the threads.

If it was strategic it would be brilliant if it turns out to be a dosey doe between the Feds & USADA - sanctions followed by RICO!

We can dream and hope.

TRENDING THREADS