• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Location, location, location

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I've been stationed in the US (North-East) for 2 years and plan to move back to Northern Europe in February. I'm thinking of spending most of January training somewhere in the US and would appreciate recommendations/ suggestions on where to go. I'm looking for warm climate and cycling friendly roads.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
stanman said:
I've been stationed in the US (North-East) for 2 years and plan to move back to Northern Europe in February. I'm thinking of spending most of January training somewhere in the US and would appreciate recommendations/ suggestions on where to go. I'm looking for warm climate and cycling friendly roads.

Tucson AZ is known for having 360 days of sunshine - just a thought. They also have some nice riding in the area.

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
I grew up in Albuquerque, NM, and it was great for biking. Generally warm, loads of sunshine, great altitude at 5200 feet above sea level, plus there are loads of long and short climbs within riding distance. I believe Astana had a training camp there recently, maybe last year or the year before, and there's another pro team that I think is/was based there in the winter months. Can't remember the name, but I'll do some research. Canadian pro MTBer Geoff Kabush based himself there in the winters the last couple of years; not sure if he is this year as well. Generally friendly folks down there as well, with good group rides. Plus rental housing is cheap cheap cheap, so is food. But it's not the boonies -- there's a Whole Foods and microbreweries and plenty of good restaurants.

Two caveats: One, the car situation can be bad. There are some places you just don't go as a rider, but 5 minutes on any group ride and you'll hear about all the good roads vs the bad roads. But that's probably no different than any decent sized American city. Two, this is supposed to be an El Nino year, which can mean wetter than average for the Rockies. That said, ABQ is typically dry, and most if not all snowstorms -- even the real dumpers -- melt out within a couple of days.

Reply here or PM me if you're interested; I can introduce you to a few folks I still know down there.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
stanman said:

San Diego.

A

Anonymous

Race Radio said:
San Diego.

As an added plus there are great bars AND breweries.:D

One of my favorite American beers in the Belgian style is not far from San Diego;

http://www.lostabbey.com/

Just think, ride great roads in arguably the best climate in the U.S. AND have access to great beer.

Great suggestion, Race.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Go southern hemisphere?

If you're prepared to go a bit further afield, it's, well, summer in the southern hemisphere in January.