• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lol... Funny!!

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
I remember watching that and thinking "What a Fred, he can't put his jacket on"

Then I raced over the Galiber during La Marmotte. You are at 9,000 feet, you have been climbing for 2 1/2 hours, your brain is not working. Add in tight turns, no guard rail, sheer drop. I understand why he stopped.

Eva Maria said:
I remember watching that and thinking "What a Fred, he can't put his jacket on"

Then I raced over the Galiber during La Marmotte. You are at 9,000 feet, you have been climbing for 2 1/2 hours, your brain is not working. Add in tight turns, no guard rail, sheer drop. I understand why he stopped.

yeah, "why breath, there is no air" RIP "fred" pantani. LOL::)

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I remember a quote from one of his former teammates (can't remember who it was) - "There was always something with Pantani", he just couldn't do anything smooth and calculating. There was always a bit of desparation, a clumsy incident or something more serious. But in the first half of his career, he always came back as well. Perhaps that was why some kept believing in him - Pantani was able to keep struggling for so long.

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Jonathan said:
I remember a quote from one of his former teammates (can't remember who it was) - "There was always something with Pantani", he just couldn't do anything smooth and calculating. There was always a bit of desparation, a clumsy incident or something more serious. But in the first half of his career, he always came back as well. Perhaps that was why some kept believing in him - Pantani was able to keep struggling for so long.

Yeah, even to get his rain coat on :D

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
TrudyTas said:
Yeah, even to get his rain coat on :D
It was a minor point; he took a wrong turn at the top of Alpe d'Huez and that car crash he had around 2002 was amazing - how on earth could one man pile so many cars on top of one another? Pantani was just incredibly clumsy, and a definite anti-hero. Certainly no Superman, and I think that was part of what was sympathetic about him.

TRENDING THREADS