• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

LOL. McQuaid receives huge boos at UCI Worlds

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I was at the race. Some how I found myself backstage after the race. I didn't realize Pat was there until I heard the boos. It was not just a few guys, it was the entire crowd and it was loud, very loud. The Video also does not do justice to Kluas' face. The look he gave to Sven was priceless.

I don't know what Dan is babbling about. Danielson is hardly excused here in the US. I talked to a lot of people at the race and was a bit surprised by the negative sentiment to the Garmin guys. If JV or Danielson had gone up on that stage that there would be a lot of boos as well

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Guy in a Bacon suit has a drink with Pat McQuaid

BCJ7bwZCIAA2DUD.jpg

frenchfry said:
Quote from Cookson:

“The UCI is very united but it’s very concerned by external pressure but our job is to make sure that the sport of cycling develops and continues to grow and expand. Whilst we acknowledge that these are very difficult times we think that it’s very important that we support the current leadership and we’ll see where the next few months take us.”

Why is the priority of the UCI to expand the sport? Shouldn't the first priority to be to eliminate the diseases of doping and corruption that are putting the sport in peril?

Yeah, that has bothered me for quite some time as well. It wouldn't be so bad if it were just some knucklehead saying it, but it's in the UCI constitution. With crap like that in there, UCI may as well put a "for sale" sign in the window.

frenchfry said:
Why is the priority of the UCI to expand the sport? Shouldn't the first priority to be to eliminate the diseases of doping and corruption that are putting the sport in peril?

Frenchfry, you are missing the point.

"Expand" is code for monetize. "Grow" is the other code word that means monetize.

I don't know what/how the management committee thinks it will enrich them specifically because it won't. This just one thing I don't understand about the UCI management committee. I don't see what their motivations are and why they blindly follow Hein.

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
This just one thing I don't understand about the UCI management committee. I don't see what their motivations are and why they blindly follow Hein.

With the voting out of Turtur and nomination of Gaudry for Oceania, I expected to see some change in the culture of the management committee.

I don't know if she has taken up her position yet (the UCI website indicates she has), but if she has then I must admit that the early indications aren't promising for change.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
In cycling pretty much ALL people that have been deemed shady or cheaters have turned out to be bad apples. Pat has been giving off that stench for ages now.

Though I don't know why, I'm somewhat sure he isn't interested in a clean sport. When will he leave? When will the doping controls be done independently?

To sum it up: BOOOOOOOO!!

May 7, 2009
Visit site
sublimit said:
As I said both are worthless in my eyes. The Americans here clearly regard Daneilson as a hero which is kind of funny.

Not all of us,
I think Danielson should have been boed, but McQuaid desereves it even more...

On another note, what the heck was Danielson doing there racing anyway ?? Isn't he supposedly serving a 6-month ban ??

May 26, 2009
www.parrabuddy.blogspot.com
Tweeted @GaudryT , with this thread and request as to whether she was at " UCI Exec in St louis and IF aware of Danielson racing ?

Now early morning in Oz , so happy if she replies here , time for me to call it a day !

May 7, 2009
Visit site
skippy said:
Tweeted @GaudryT , with this thread and request as to whether she was at " UCI Exec in St louis and IF aware of Danielson racing ?

Now early morning in Oz , so happy if she replies here , time for me to call it a day !

Thanks for the reply. I got to thinking, though: I'm not sure when his 6-month suspension started, so perhaps it is up already ?? Seems unlikely though.....

:confused::mad:

May 11, 2009
Visit site
skippy said:

Which event was Danielson riding?

May 7, 2009
Visit site
avanti said:
Which event was Danielson riding?

Anyone follow RaceRadio on Twitter?
I am not on Twitter, but I think several posters here follow him. He says he was at the event, he may know the answer to this question.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
Deagol said:
I am not on Twitter, but I think several posters here follow him. He says he was at the event, he may know the answer to this question.

I looked at RR's post up stream. I don't think he's suggesting that Danielson was racing.... just taking in the event as a once in a life time experience.

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Bag_O_Wallet said:
I looked at RR's post up stream. I don't think he's suggesting that Danielson was racing.... just taking in the event as a once in a life time experience.

I was sort of wondering that as well, hence asking if I was "missing something". It would be good to know for sure, though. It is hard to discern from the context of the above posts and maybe a bit odd that he was there just as a spectator and still got cheers from the crowd. It could happen, though. Perhaps someone who was there could clarify?

It was this quote by Daniel Benson that lead me to believe that TD was actually Racing, as opposed to just being a spectator:

"Find it comical that cycling fans in the US boo Mcquaid but are happy to see Danielson start cross races"

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Mrs John Murphy said:
Perhaps TD was the starter for the cross race? Hence 'See Danielson start cross races'

I suppose that's as good an explanation as any...

Seems a really bad choice, given the recent events and all. But the UCI is well known for those.

I really wish someone who knew the answer would chime in and let the rest of us know......

Edit: as much as I am annoyed with TD right now, I think I would rather see him "start" a race than someone like Bob Roll.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Deagol said:

Danielson was not at Worlds. He fired the start gun at a local event in Colorado. Not sure if it is an equal of Pat at Worlds but all the same many were not happy with the presence of either

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Race Radio said:
Danielson was not at Worlds. He fired the start gun at a local event in Colorado. Not sure if it is an equal of Pat at Worlds but all the same many were not happy with the presence of either

Thanks for the clarification RaceRadio. It (that TD was firing the start gun at a different race) didn't really come across in the context of this thread. Glad to know he wasn't thumbing his nose at his ban.

I heard Lance got some cheers showing up as a guest at this past summer's Leadville 100 also..

I am not comparing Lance to TD, but they do have at least one or two things in common.

TRENDING THREADS