• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

London bidding for 2017 Grand Depart

Well if it happens I hope they don't just turn the 2nd day in to a Box hill bore fest. They only have to look a few miles either side and they can use Coombe Lane, Leith Hill, Pebble Hill, Coldharbour lane or White Downs which are much better. It actually wouldn't take someone that much effort to design a selective and hilly circuit around that area.

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Pricey_sky said:
Well if it happens I hope they don't just turn the 2nd day in to a Box hill bore fest. They only have to look a few miles either side and they can use Coombe Lane, Leith Hill, Pebble Hill, Coldharbour lane or White Downs which are much better. It actually wouldn't take someone that much effort to design a selective and hilly circuit around that area.
But would they want selective? Or would they want missile friendly

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
I hope they get it! I am still disappointed I missed the grand depart last year due to an operation. As a Cav fan part of me wants missile friendly stages, but then again having stage 2 last year bringing the GC guys to the fore was epic.

Re:

Pricey_sky said:

You teach 'em! :p

I'm not fond of the idea, though. Too many Grand Départs outside of France now.

Re: Re:

Happy dude said:
Pricey_sky said:

By all means have 1 sprint stage, but have a selective stage as well and not just 2 bunch sprints.

BigMac said:
Pricey_sky said:

You teach 'em! :p

I'm not fond of the idea, though. Too many Grand Départs outside of France now.

Yeah I have to agree, it's happening every year now. I thought it was too much having it every other year but I suppose I can understand the organisers wanting to milk the cow as much as they can.

There is no chance they will change this trend for GD abroad. Both Le Tour and Il Giro. Great marketing opportunity, a lot of money pouring in.
RCS has decided that The Giro will start abroad every other year.
2010 Holland
2012 Denmark
2014 Northern Ireland
2016 Holland

There have been rumours of talks between RCS and NYC mayor's office and some Middle East countries (I think Oman or Dubai).
There is a huge demand, and they are certainly not going to turn it down.

Pricey_sky said:
Happy dude said:
Pricey_sky said:

By all means have 1 sprint stage, but have a selective stage as well and not just 2 bunch sprints.

I would have a prologue and then a flat stage that just zig-zags across London without doubling back on itself and provides the best opportunity for 1. historical sites to be passed rather than some boring criterium of the most tourist-friendly square mile and 2. as many people to see it as possible. Then a stage towards the coast would be the best opportunity for a challenging route.

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site

Dazed and Confused said:
Prefer Munster to London this time around even if the stage will be 100% flat.

There could be some hills, the annual 1.HC race in Münster also has sometimes some short sharp hills in it (profile), but they are 40 km from away from münster so the run in will definitely be flat.
btw Prudhomme visited that race last year.

11100219552-hoehenprofil-sparkassen-muensterland-giro-2011.jpg

robin440 said:
Dazed and Confused said:

There could be some hills, the annual 1.HC race in Münster also has sometimes some short sharp hills in it (profile), but they are 40 km from away from münster so the run in will definitely be flat.

Well that would at least rule out a home win for Kittel :D

robin440 said:
Dazed and Confused said:

I can't remember what attracted me to Munster right now, but it might be related to something like this:

7627488.jpg

TRENDING THREADS