• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Long ITTs in a Grand Tour

May 11, 2009
Visit site
Looking back on GT history the longerst ITT I can find was stage 10 of the 1987 TdF which was won by Steven Roche in 1:58:11.

Is this the longest ITT ever in a Grand Tour?

I would love to see more long ITTs in a GT (although I understand the issues of running such an event).

I would also like to see GTs use ITTs every few years on the penultimate or last stage.

The Spanish commentators were talking about Purito's future as a GC guy, and they reached the conclusion that yes, he's a perfectly valid GT contender, but he'd need the race to have less ITT kms. I was like, what the hell am I hearing.

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
The 1947 Tour de France had a 139 km time trial. Rene Vietto lost the GC lead to Pierre Brambilla on this stage, partly due to the amount of alcohol he (Vietto) consumed during the TT (IIRC).

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
The Spanish commentators were talking about Purito's future as a GC guy, and they reached the conclusion that yes, he's a perfectly valid GT contender, but he'd need the race to have less ITT kms. I was like, what the hell am I hearing.

TBH this was a great parcours for him this year. The long chrono in the middle of the race, time bonuses, short climbs in the decisive final stages.

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:

He had about as perfect a route at the Vuelta as he is ever likely to get, and finished no where! Do they want even less than this year? :eek:

May 24, 2010
Visit site
My own view is that a GT should comprise roughly 5% of it's total distance as Time Trials, that includes Prologue, Team Time Trials and Individuals TTs. So this year of the total of 3430.5Kms should have had around 170KM or so TT kms. Just a thought.

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Its about time the Tour de France put in some longer TT's. I'm hoping they have 1 medium length TT and one longer TT this year. Say a 30 k flat and an epic 55K hilly one.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
All three of the GTs largely eschewed the TT this year, so I'm hoping for just the opposite next year.

The Giro was the only one to feature three TTs. However, one was the relatively short opening TTT and another was a mountain TT. The only relatively flat TT kms were in the final Milan TT, which wasn't very long.

The tour just had the TTT and a flatish TT.

The Vuelta had the opening TTT and a longish-mid race TT. I would have loved another long one in the last week. That would have made the racing really interesting.

I'm hoping that at least one or two of the GTs next year feature two relatively long and relatively flat (as opposed to mountain TT) TTs. I'm tired of these ridiculously mountainous routes in which the organizers keep trying to outdo each other. We've gotten to the point where the race is so hard that riders just want to survive rather than race. More TT kms will provide a selection without killing everyone.

With that said, I think we're in for a couple more years of rather mountainous races before the trend reverses. :confused:

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
AngusW said:
The 1947 Tour de France had a 139 km time trial. Rene Vietto lost the GC lead to Pierre Brambilla on this stage, partly due to the amount of alcohol he (Vietto) consumed during the TT (IIRC).
According to memoire cyclisme the '47 139 km itt was the longest ever.

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
every tdf should have at least one long itt where the winner would probably be the only one the finish under an hour.

i really think the minimum total km for an entire tdf should be 100k. for the other tours anything from 50-80k. that's for everything: itt, ttt, prologue, mtt.

if you want to make it a "climber's" parcours, fine. just put a really hard mtt in there.

obviously, 139k is too long for the modern era. but it would be hilarious to see fabian duking it out with tony martin for the gc.:D

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
spanky wanderlust said:
every tdf should have at least one long itt where the winner would probably be the only one the finish under an hour.

i really think the minimum total km for an entire tdf should be 100k. for the other tours anything from 50-80k. that's for everything: itt, ttt, prologue, mtt.

if you want to make it a "climber's" parcours, fine. just put a really hard mtt in there.

obviously, 139k is too long for the modern era. but it would be hilarious to see fabian duking it out with tony martin for the gc.:D

What makes you think Fabian could take minutes out of Contador in a third week long time trial(which are usually hilly in the Tour)? I wouldn't bet my money on it. Assuming they're riding under the same weather conditions of course. Cancellara wouldn't be in the' first 10 even if there were 139 time trial kms in the Tour. As long as there are some decent mountain stages in it, even 2009 would be too mountainous for him. He's one of the heaviest riders in the peloton, if he changes his weight, he also loses a lot of advantage in the time trial. Plus Cancellara's recuperation skills are quite mediocre IMO. He gets beaten a lot in third week time trials, but is still unbeatable in one day time trials. He's a one day racer pur sang and most one day racers can compete in one week races, but Cancellara will never compete in a Grand Tour for the victory unless they avoid all mountain stages.

spanky wanderlust said:

139km isn't too long. If we had 139km of ITT, we'd go straight back to an earlier era of cycling, because the climbers would actually have to attack and going in the last 6 or 7 km of the last climb wouldn't be enough.

It's a vicious circle. There's smaller gaps, so people attack less, so the gaps get smaller, so the ITTs are cut down to avoid creating big gaps, so people attack even less.

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:
139km isn't too long. If we had 139km of ITT, we'd go straight back to an earlier era of cycling, because the climbers would actually have to attack and going in the last 6 or 7 km of the last climb wouldn't be enough.

It's a vicious circle. There's smaller gaps, so people attack less, so the gaps get smaller, so the ITTs are cut down to avoid creating big gaps, so people attack even less.

to be clear: one 139 km itt is different from 139 km of itt.

i would love to see the latter. the former? i can't see it happening. would love to see the gaps between andy and bertie, though.:)

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:

Tony Martin in Tour shape would have won this Vuelta if we had 139km of ITT. No thanks. As long as the mountain stages don't include multiple mountain passes it's best not to have too much time trials. Though if you have a lot of Gardeccia like stages then bring on those time trials! But that's not going to happen in the Vuelta.

Giro could have used some more time trials though.

TRENDING THREADS