• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Long Layoffs and Effect on Performance

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
I notice that both Sastre and Contador took a long break this winter...basically ceasing competition after the Tour.

I suspect the long lay-off is likely to be a larger factor in Sastre's Giro. He had been riding all season long for several years prior to finally taking a vacation this Fall. But now he will have to return to peak form in time for the Giro. Obviously he knows how to prepare himself, but will he still be on top?

Contador has more time to prepare for the Tour, and is probably training hard if Vino has anything to say about it. But it will be interesting to see how and if taking the Fall off effects his performance. Will he target any major Spring races (Paris-Nice, Vasco, Liege) this year?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
On a similar note, Basso's season will be the complete opposite of last: Last year he started racing at the Tour de San Luis and raced a ton of races before the Giro.

This year he's starting in late March at Catalunya.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
ludwig said:
I notice that both Sastre and Contador took a long break this winter...basically ceasing competition after the Tour.

I suspect the long lay-off is likely to be a larger factor in Sastre's Giro. He had been riding all season long for several years prior to finally taking a vacation this Fall. But now he will have to return to peak form in time for the Giro. Obviously he knows how to prepare himself, but will he still be on top?

Contador has more time to prepare for the Tour, and is probably training hard if Vino has anything to say about it. But it will be interesting to see how and if taking the Fall off effects his performance. Will he target any major Spring races (Paris-Nice, Vasco, Liege) this year?
I don't think it's a problem. If they really took a break that might be a problem, but I think it's safe to say they still train. I don't think Armstrong rode many races after the tour (or before for that matter) and it didn't seem to impede his performance.

Shouldn't affect them. After all, Contador can win a GT with little to no training (remember the beach 'training' and the Giro?). Spanish riders in general are very good with this type of program. Oscar Friere explained this after winning his 1st World Championship.

ludwig said:

Satre's break was due to exhaustion-after riding 4 GT's from 08 to 09- surely he desperately needed a long break.
On Contador's side, the break was because of the infamous Astana dismantle
by LA/JB & the uncertainty of his contract.

in both cases the break isn't long enough to affect performance

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
6-8 weeks rest and recovery is needed at the level of cycling then guys are at otherwise the get stale tired and just give up.

That is active rest like doing all the jobs my missus has set aside for me during the year. do them then you are alowd out again

TRENDING THREADS