• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Longer, Harder Stages

I do, because I don't think races are harder than they were in the 90s, so when riders complain it comes across as whine whine whine. They don't seem to realize the sport is doomed if the spectacle isn't good, and if the average level has increased that means the same courses aren't as selective anymore and the spectacle suffers.

I can understand complaining about a sucession of 250-km stages in the high mountains being a bit too much, but that's not what we have. It's like they're complaining when a race is hard.

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
I do, because I don't think races are harder than they were in the 90s, so when riders complain it comes across as whine whine whine.

+1, when Fuglsang complained about that hard Giro stage, it was just so obvious he wanted a parcours better suited to him. (Not bad TT, mediocre climbing.)
And Millar complained because he's usually the guy who has to pull Farrar up the worst mountains.

I forgot who said it, but a forummer here said this: "Shut up or go back to track cycling."

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
hrotha said:
I do, because I don't think races are harder than they were in the 90s, so when riders complain it comes across as whine whine whine. They don't seem to realize the sport is doomed if the spectacle isn't good, and if the average level has increased that means the same courses aren't as selective anymore and the spectacle suffers.

I can understand complaining about a sucession of 250-km stages in the high mountains being a bit too much, but that's not what we have. It's like they're complaining when a race is hard.

Yeah the whining is annoying.

Nielsa said:
+1, when Fuglsang complained about that hard Giro stage, it was just so obvious he wanted a parcours better suited to him. (Not bad TT, mediocre climbing.)
And Millar complained because he's usually the guy who has to pull Farrar up the worst mountains.

I forgot who said it, but a forummer here said this: "Shut up or go back to track cycling."
To be fair to Fuglsang he was complaining about the timing of the stage during the race. The queen stage shouldn't be the second last stage.

However, if the riders want to complain whenever the parcours is hard there's always tiddleywinks....

imo organizers should add 50k more of hard racing to all monuments so they go back to be real hard man races again (this days people are too well prepared for 250k to become a gigantic challenge like they used to be)

if they don't like this they can always change sport and play:

Curling.jpg

curling . . .

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
jens_attacks said:
i would like a 400 km classic.
and all the races should be longer,grand tours at least 4000 kms

400km? it should be at least 650km. I want them up at 3am and racing til midnight. On cobbled mountains. And if any of them so much as thinks of taking any banned substances I will be absolutely fuming.

TRENDING THREADS