• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Looking for advice/suggestions on bike upgrades

Oct 21, 2020
Visit site
Hello, I am new to this forum and in hope of finding good advice here.

So, I own a Genesis Datum 20 (2018) - size S - and as of now I'm using Jalco XCD22 rims with 700x32c Continental road tyres with Formula front/rear hubs. The front hub is a "Formula RX-81Q/RX-26 28h" 15mm TA and the rear hub is a "Formula RX-81Q/RX-26 28h" QR.

I am looking for advice on a 28c or 25c wheel set - front/rear hubs and rims.

For any compatibility issues, on this bike, I have Shimano 105 RD-5800 rear derailleur, and Shimano CS-5800 11-32 cassette and Shimano BR-RS505 hydraulic front/rear brakes - the front break with 160mm TR160 rotors and the rear brake with 160mm TR140 rotors.

What suggestions can you give me? I'm looking for a fairly good wheel set and not too heavy.

Hi

Some things to be aware of...

Are your current wheels 6 bolt or centre lock? (how the rotors attach) Make sure you get the same standard or you'll have to buy new rotors.

Is the rear axle spacing 135mm or 142mm? As its currently qr my guess would be 135. Just make sure you are able to get adaptors to fit whatever rear wheel you buy, many wheelers cone with them.

As to what to buy, you dont mention budget or intended use.

I'm guessing you arent going high end. I'd avoid deep section rims (pain in the arse in winds and negligible benefits unless TTing). I'd also avoid brands like Mason (many will disagree) because they arent well built and use cheap components.

Mavic are pretty good, generally, as are Fulcrum. All depends on price point.

TRENDING THREADS