• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Looking for Bike recommendations

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and i was hoping for some advice from the experienced riders. I own a mountain bike, and now I’d like to get into riding a road bike, and I’m looking to buy something used for a few hundred dollars. I just wanted to know which brands to look for, or avoid since i have seen allot of bikes from the 80s, 90s etc. some brands I’ve seen from that era are, Peugeot, Aero, Miele, Norco, Raleigh..

Any advise would be appreciated

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Lucidious said:
Hello,

I'm new to this forum, and i was hoping for some advice from the experienced riders. I own a mountain bike, and now I’d like to get into riding a road bike, and I’m looking to buy something used for a few hundred dollars. I just wanted to know which brands to look for, or avoid since i have seen allot of bikes from the 80s, 90s etc. some brands I’ve seen from that era are, Peugeot, Aero, Miele, Norco, Raleigh..

I wouldn't worry too much about brand. I would look at proper size, decent components and wheels.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Lucidious said:
what are some good component brands to look for other then shimano?

The three top companies today are Campagnola, Shimano, and SRAM. Each company has various grades of components - for instance you can get a very low level component from Shimano at your local box store.

With SRAM you are looking at Rival, Force and Red at the high end. SRAM produces a fairly good component groupset and tends to run less money than Shimano and Campagnolo.

In Shimano look for a 105 group (third lowest), better yet Ultegra, and the top end is Dura Ace. Personally I prefer Shimino over SRAM for performance (I did not like the double tap shifting that SRAM is utilizing).

For Campagnola you are looking at Centuer, Chorus, Record, and at the high end Super Record. Campy has the only 11-speed groupset currently available.

It depends on the age of the components. Campagnola is very good but pricy, recently SRAM got involved in road components and produce a good product.

May 11, 2009
Visit site
If you buy an old bicycle from the nineties I would go for Camoagnolo. All the old campagnolo 8, 9 and 10 speed is bombproof and will last for ages. And you can still get spare parts to most of it. The number of gears in not that important if you are a beginner.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
Lucidious said:
Hello,

Stick with either a 105, Rival, or Centaur groupset or lower..

I have two Campy bikes, One primarily Ultra torque Record, and Chorus, the other Square taper Record crank and FD, with the remainder, Centaur. Can't really tell much difference between those setups actually.

I believe the quality of these groups and even lower ones from Campy and Shimano is very good and anything including and above Ultegra or Chorus is overkill for a new road guy.

As for frames get a decent ebay frame that fits.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Based on your budget I think we are not talking about any thing special, and I think anything with Campy is going to be too dear, purely based on the name. I would try and get something where the gear leavers are integrated with the brake levers (as is current practice), so Shimano 600 or 105 would be most likely
You can also get parts for these, which is important because things will be wearing out

We will also be looking at an Alloy or Steel from the late 90 early 00, nothing wrong with that, but as with car buy on condition, one that has been looked after

Also it may be best to avoid anything that is "retro" because you will pay an unwarranted premium if it is tagged this way

Myth?

Campagnonlo = Expensive is a myth.

Today's groupset pricing at Ribble http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/groupset.asp?action=showframes&sub=conf_GS&type=RIBMO

Centaur $629
105 $528
Ultegra $629 (6600 SL)
Ultegra $717 (6700)

Centaur is a better component set than 105 and as good if not better than Ultegra. The problem is that Campagnolo isn't spec'd on many off-the-rack complete bikes.

The beauty of building a bike from a frameset up is that you don't have to settle for the price sensitive compromises most OEMs make (lower level stem/bar/seatpost/saddle/wheelset and often crankset).

Just my .02...

Mar 16, 2009
ellobodelmar.spaces.live.com
Notso Swift said:
Based on your budget I think we are not talking about any thing special, and I think anything with Campy is going to be too dear, purely based on the name. I would try and get something where the gear leavers are integrated with the brake levers (as is current practice), so Shimano 600 or 105 would be most likely
You can also get parts for these, which is important because things will be wearing out

We will also be looking at an Alloy or Steel from the late 90 early 00, nothing wrong with that, but as with car buy on condition, one that has been looked after

Also it may be best to avoid anything that is "retro" because you will pay an unwarranted premium if it is tagged this way

I picked up a Specialized Allez with Shimano 600 for a friend for $300 USD
very nice bike

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
steelciocc said:
Campagnonlo = Expensive is a myth.

Today's groupset pricing at Ribble http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/groupset.asp?action=showframes&sub=conf_GS&type=RIBMO

Centaur $629
105 $528
Ultegra $629 (6600 SL)
Ultegra $717 (6700)

Centaur is a better component set than 105 and as good if not better than Ultegra. The problem is that Campagnolo isn't spec'd on many off-the-rack complete bikes.

The beauty of building a bike from a frameset up is that you don't have to settle for the price sensitive compromises most OEMs make (lower level stem/bar/seatpost/saddle and often crankset).

Just my .02...
Did you actually read the orginal post?
He is looking for second hand for a few hundred
Look for bikes in that range and he is going to find people asking more for equivalent Campagnolo equipped bikes (if he can even find any) than Shimano, That based is on the Campy name and the market demand
It isn't a pro/con Shimano/Campagnolo thing, it is just a realistic observation

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advise, i actually picked up a bike last night for $500CAD
2006 Giant OCR3 with Shimano Sora gear/brake set, aluxx aluminum frame, bike comp, brand new shimano clipless pedals and triathalon style arm rests. The bike looks brand new the previous owner didnt ride it much, i came across the bike in local classifieds by chance. Any opinions on the Sora components? Or this Bike model? i know Sora components are second from the bottom on shimano's list.

Thanks again,
Lucid

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Notso Swift said:

While I disagree with the previous comments that Campy is price competitive with Shimano for new equivalent grade groupsets. I do believe that you can find great buys on an eight or nine speed used groupset from either Campy or Shimano. I picked up a mixed 9-speed group to modernize my first real bike, a 20+ year old steel frame. Today, I enjoy riding that bike as much on Sundays as either of my carbons with the exception of the brake levers (I really like the Ultegra 6700 ego levers - much better angles). Prior to the change I had six speed down tube shifters - it is a completely different bike now.

As for the current price differences, I ride with a guy who has 12 bikes in his garage (he has been riding for years and does not like to sell anything:)), all with Campy components. He is a sworn lifelong Campy disciple. This past week he admitted he may have to switch to Shimano. This was based on the price for a 10-speed record cassette.

Personally, I believe that Campy makes a great product but the prices of their record and super record groups are unrealistic for most riders. Shimano, while expensive for Dura Ace still comes in at a significantly reduced price.

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Lucidious said:
2006 Giant OCR3 with Shimano Sora gear/brake set, aluxx aluminum frame, bike comp, brand new shimano clipless pedals and triathalon style arm rests. The bike looks brand new the previous owner didnt ride it much, i came across the bike in local classifieds by chance. Any opinions on the Sora components? Or this Bike model? i know Sora components are second from the bottom on shimano's list.

Thanks again,
Lucid

Good for you and a good find too. Shimano Sora will be fine as you get started and your frame is a good one to upgrade components onto as the Sora stuff wears out. Unless you're planning on doing triathalons or lots of time trials...lose the aero bars especially if you plan on riding w/ others.
Good luck! Go ride and have fun!

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Lucidious said:

Thanks again,
Lucid

Sora components are fine for someone getting into cycling (they can be upgraded if you want later). Looks like you got a deal. Hope you enjoy riding.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Lucidious said:

Thanks again,
Lucid

You'll be fine with Sora. I think you made a good overall choice. Enjoy your new bike.

A

Anonymous

richwagmn said:
You'll be fine with Sora. I think you made a good overall choice. Enjoy your new bike.

Sora's a plenty enough start. Next step up is the tiagra which is generally lighter and smoother, then 105 which is marginally lighter again and is 10 speed rather than 9 speed so is considered a much better bet as you can upgrade components. The only issue is upgrading, with the sora being 9 speed its more of an upgrade job if you want to go up to ten speed, but a 105 rd will work fine with 9 speed.

Enjoy riding the bike :D

TRENDING THREADS