• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Looking forward to Ullrich's best seller

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I remember reading some time ago, that Ullrich intended to bring a book out sometime or another (I'm assuming after the 10yr no sanction period is up) in which he was going to spill some beans. I hope he does it. If done properly I think it would definately be a best seller and probably make him more than when he was a cyclist. I'd love him to fry Armstrong in this. I don't think there has been a past tour contender who has spoken honestly about doping in cycling.

But, sometimes I think there must be some Mafia or something keeping ex riders quiet (Armstrong is probably their hitman as he has demonstrated in the past with the whistleblowers). There is no real future for half the ex-riders in cycling. Why don't they all tell it the way it is? What are they scared of? I'm just amazed at how few do it, when it appears they have nothing to lose.

A

Anonymous

the usual thing.. if you write something you cannot prove its libel...

very few publishers will take the risk

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Possibly Rock :D

Annual+Lambertz+Party+JHXfc2Nx8kUl.jpg

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Indurain said:
I'd love him to fry Armstrong in this.

I'm not sure Ullrich would fry Armstrong, even if he had the chance. I think they had tremendous mutual respect for each other, at least it appeared that way from interviews during the TdFs.

Eva Maria said:
Walsh never had a problem with his books.

Walsh had lots of problems with his books. "L.A. Confidentiel: Les secrets de Lance Armstrong" (L.A. Confidential: Lance Armstrong's Secrets) was only published in French because he could not find a publisher willing to publish it in English (or take on the inevitable Armstrong lawsuit). Similarly, his new book "L.A. Officiel" is also only being written in French. I am not sure if this is because he couldn't be bothered after his experience with L.A. Confidential or because he has again tried and failed with an English publisher.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I don't think Jan will write a book or come out of hiding. He will fade into black and out of the limelight (if he hasn't already). I just don't see it from him. I see more of a mental divorce from Cycling for him, he's out and not coming back.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Walsh had lots of problems with his books. "L.A. Confidentiel: Les secrets de Lance Armstrong" (L.A. Confidential: Lance Armstrong's Secrets) was only published in French because he could not find a publisher willing to publish it in English (or take on the inevitable Armstrong lawsuit). Similarly, his new book "L.A. Officiel" is also only being written in French. I am not sure if this is because he couldn't be bothered after his experience with L.A. Confidential or because he has again tried and failed with an English publisher.
Probably they will release them on internet...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
You can get an English translation of L.A. Confidential on the Internet. I have a copy in four PDFs.

True, but that is someone translating for free and releasing it on the internet. Still doesn't change the fact that an English publisher would not touch Walsh's "L.A. Confidentiel: Les secrets de Lance Armstrong" for fear of libel. Just trying to prove the point the Walsh has had difficulties in publishing at least one of his books. I also doubt Walsh gets any royalties from the English versions available on the internet.

elapid said:
True, but that is someone translating for free and releasing it on the internet. Still doesn't change the fact that an English publisher would not touch Walsh's "L.A. Confidentiel: Les secrets de Lance Armstrong" for fear of libel. Just trying to prove the point the Walsh has had difficulties in publishing at least one of his books. I also doubt Walsh gets any royalties from the English versions available on the internet.

True.

I do think that what Walsh said in his latest interview about how Armstrong would not be suing anyone anymore is probably true. The SCA case was a disaster PR-wise. A large number of the juicy stories we have come from that litigation.

elapid said:

Walsh published in English "From Lance to Landis" which is close in content to L.A Confendiel" is-perhaps the second one being more aggressive. From what I've read, it was LA himself who blocked the English publication here in the US, for obvious reasons, & due to the lawsuit against the Suntimes the publisher just didn't want to get in between those two.
as far as Ullrich telling the truth, he might do it, not out of bitterness but to tell the world how the whole "hidden" system worked back then.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:

I have read both books. "From Lance to Landis" covered every thing that was in them. Lance sued in French courts, only to lose and be told to pay court costs for his lame lawsuit. He never attempted to sue in US courts as it would have been futile.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Eva Maria said:
I have read both books. "From Lance to Landis" covered every thing that was in them. Lance sued in French courts, only to lose and be told to pay court costs for his lame lawsuit. He never attempted to sue in US courts as it would have been futile.

Getting off topic again, but someone said in another thread that the SCA trial was Armstrong's worst mistake because all the dirty laundry was aired. He probably learned his lesson from that and decided not to sue in cases which may damage his image, particularly in the US. I personally think this is why he never sued over the report of his positive EPO samples in the 1999 TdF.

Eva Maria

BANNED
May 24, 2009
Visit site
elapid said:
Getting off topic again, but someone said in another thread that the SCA trial was Armstrong's worst mistake because all the dirty laundry was aired. He probably learned his lesson from that and decided not to sue in cases which may damage his image, particularly in the US. I personally think this is why he never sued over the report of his positive EPO samples in the 1999 TdF.

You have a point, however I think that the SCA case shows that he thinks he is Teflon and his following will believe whatever lie he tells them.

The SCA case came after the 99 positives were announced. He did not fight the positives or L'Equipe as he knew there was no way he could win.

A

Anonymous

BroDeal said:
You can get an English translation of L.A. Confidential on the Internet. I have a copy in four PDFs.

the episino hosting of the pdf;s seems to have died.. cant find the big tex forum anymore.. anywhere else they are, or do you wanna put them somewhere..

its not copyright if its for research.. :D

TRENDING THREADS