• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Lotto Dstny Cycling Team

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yeah don't think he could've beaten Matthews, he was insane, but could've costed him a close result which would've been good for the morale. He basically closed down more than 30 seconds on his own with a few riders in his wheel after the puncture which probably costed him a lot of energy. Hard to say where he would've ended without the blowout (luckily he didn't crash).

Why do you keep repeating this lol. It's also based on absolutely nothing. If Ewan still rides for the team next year (wouldn't be surprised if he leaves), he'll still be their best rider and thus get serious support. You act like Lotto left so many good riders at home just to give him more support, which is just BS.

Ewan did not get the team he wanted in the 2022 TDF - If you have a leader who does not win a stage in three consecutive tours then of course you have less support riders or the riders you want - Lotto in the last ten years has always been a team of opportunists with a major focus on sprints - They were carried by Greipel who won stages in every GT's he participated in from 2011 to 2017 , except for his last year in 2018 and then he was moved on - So stage wins are super-important for the team - Anyway, tomorrow may be a sprint, so lets see what happens.

Ewan did not get the team he wanted in the 2022 TDF - If you have a leader who does not win a stage in three consecutive tours then of course you have less support riders or the riders you want - Lotto in the last ten years has always been a team of opportunists with a major focus on sprints - They were carried by Greipel who won stages in every GT's he participated in from 2011 to 2017 , except for his last year in 2018 and then he was moved on - So stage wins are super-important for the team - Anyway, tomorrow may be a sprint, so lets see what happens.

His whole leadout missed fitness to start the tour. it's as simple as that. He has a really good team around him, proven by the fact that he's still in this Tour. They're not giving up on him and won't if he doesn't win a stage either. If he's still with the team he'll have guys supporting him next year too. You'll get a similar Tour team without Wellens and Gilbert, but with De Buyst. It might change after 2024, but for now Lotto literally doesn't have another option. Together with a guy like Kron he's still their best bet to get stagewins in the Tour. You don't seem to get that.

Doubt he'll sprint tomorrow. Their goal is to get him to the restday and see if he recovers enough to survive the mountains and sprint on stage 19 and 21.

His whole leadout missed fitness to start the tour. it's as simple as that. He has a really good team around him, proven by the fact that he's still in this Tour. They're not giving up on him and won't if he doesn't win a stage either. If he's still with the team he'll have guys supporting him next year too. You'll get a similar Tour team without Wellens and Gilbert, but with De Buyst. It might change after 2024, but for now Lotto literally doesn't have another option. Together with a guy like Kron he's still their best bet to get stagewins in the Tour. You don't seem to get that.

Doubt he'll sprint tomorrow. Their goal is to get him to the restday and see if he recovers enough to survive the mountains and sprint on stage 19 and 21.

It's simple - When you are the marquee rider ( sprinter ) at a team you are expected to get wins at Grand Tours - Ewan will be at the team in 2023 even if Lotto is relegated as they'll still get a good calendar

Ewan not getting points is an issue and maybe getting rid of him wouldn't be a bad thing at this point

That was two months ago and the situation hasn't gotten any better. I would honestly consider dumping him as he has to be getting the biggest paycheck in the team with Gilbert and Wellens leaving. I would rather put that money towards other riders. I don't know if Destiny is paying the same as Soudal, but i doubt it. If they get relegated they will eventually have to start making cuts anyway. The problem is they have nobody to claim co-leadership in the races Ewan starts, so in the big races where he has a shot, the team will be riding 100% for him, and imho he just doesn't live up to that status. I think Lotto should start looking at guys like Schmid or Valter (who have signed elsewhere obviously), look for the next Kron... instead of devoting an entire squad to an overpriced sprinter who doesn't deliver.

In retrospect, what happened during a wet summer's day in 2019 in Poland is still leaving marks.

Looks like the team still wouldn't really mind being a ProConti team to be in the shadow for a few years and grow like that. They still prefer staying in the WT, but according to Nikolas Maes main sponsors and management don't see relegation as a drama at all.

I already quoted this and called it BS on their part. The following proves it. De Lie not going to the WCC in order to score points for Lotto. :expressionless:

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
It's pretty obvious Caleb never really recovered from the Tour crash last year. The guy has been a consistent winner for 6-7 years now, so you'd expect a few results, even without a great train.

That said, some sprinters can decline pretty fast.

Maybe a change of scenery would help Ewan, but there are plenty of other Lotto riders who didn't perform this year, too. So maybe the solution for Lotto is a complete Pro Conti reset around De Lie, who sure looks like the The Next Big Thing.

Reactions: Roku and Sandisfan
Should just be at peace with going down to PCT level cause the team is becoming indredibly onedimensional. Looking at the rumoured transfers they're just stupidly doubling down on their sprinters and small race classic squad. Livyns, Paasschens and Guarnieri are doms at best. Eenkhoorn might be able to become more, but only for the flemish classics. You have Cras and Wellens (and maybe even Vanhoucke) leaving and the only climber type you're getting is the young Lennert Van Eetvelt. And even though I believe he has the potential climbing consistency and talent that Lambrecht had, he isn't a winner (he isn't very explosive and his sprint isn't good). With that team you have no reason to be in the WT as you simply don't have a team for a lot of those WT races. It's pretty boring tbh. Want to be an Alpecin copy, but don't realize you don't have a Van der Poel who can make this strat work. Lotto's flemish classic squad isn't good enough for the bigger races and only Vermeersch and De Lie have the potential.

Should just be at peace with going down to PCT level cause the team is becoming indredibly onedimensional. Looking at the rumoured transfers they're just stupidly doubling down on their sprinters and small race classic squad. Livyns, Paasschens and Guarnieri are doms at best. Eenkhoorn might be able to become more, but only for the flemish classics. You have Cras and Wellens (and maybe even Vanhoucke) leaving and the only climber type you're getting is the young Lennert Van Eetvelt. And even though I believe he has the potential climbing consistency and talent that Lambrecht had, he isn't a winner (he isn't very explosive and his sprint isn't good). With that team you have no reason to be in the WT as you simply don't have a team for a lot of those WT races. It's pretty boring tbh. Want to be an Alpecin copy, but don't realize you don't have a Van der Poel who can make this strat work. Lotto's flemish classic squad isn't good enough for the bigger races and only Vermeersch and De Lie have the potential.
Like i said before, they should have been the team to go after Valter or Schmid, those kinds of guys. I think Roger Adria is a very interesting rider who might have been interested in going to a WT team, but with them going PCT he wouldn't even be better off than where he is now. Good riders will now be increasingly difficult to put under contract, and the team will dwindle down to a run of the mill PCT team (in many ways, it already is). I fear in 2 seasons De Lie will not be at the team anymore and whatever talent that is coming out of their youth ranks will leave out of U23. But anyway, i've been repeating myself for months now.

• Wow

haven't read about VanHocuke, where did you read that?

haven't read about VanHocuke, where did you read that?

Im just guessing as there isn't any information about him extending his contract or even them negotiating about one. All the other Belgian LTS extensions were known by the Belgian press some time before making them official, but there's literally no mention about Vanhoucke. Just like there wasn't any about Cras (who we know now is leaving for Total).

I'm mainly curious who would want him.

There's definitely going to be some teams interested in him. Even tho he didn't fulfill his potential (yet) - mainly due to mental and motivational issues - he' still someone who can climb pretty well (still 2nd in Sibiu and 5th in Turkey) and thus would be usefull to support a good climber or for some teams who don't have enough riders for the climb races (like Alpecin for example or some french teams).

article on Lotto in het Nieuwsblad : https://www.nieuwsblad.be/cnt/dmf20...Pe2ssq+Y5zAln1JSGuB0MTmeOq09F3Qnchj/W566DDg==

the plan is to invest in young talents, they won't give a contract to older riders than 30 except for Calebs lead out

Lelangue says two riders signed already, a third signed in Poland, they want 27 riders so they have 4 spots left...Lelangue will see what give Tour de l'avenir and EC for espoirs before he signs anybodu

they will invest much more in performance management : videos analyses, mental coach, material, ostheopathie,

the U23 will ride on continental level and they think about creating a junior team as well

and they still have hope to stay in WT and count on Ewan for that as well, Caleb might start racing again in circuit Franco belge/Eurométropole

The guy in Poland is probably Guarnieri then. 2 signed would mean that either Livyns, Paasschens (really don't get why he's getting signed) or Eenkhoorn hasn't signed yet. HNB also says that Lotto DSTNY has 21 guys on their roster already "officially" but PCS (and I don't see who they're missing out on) only have 18 riders signed for next year. That would mean an additional 3 riders have extended their contract.

Lelangue is such a stubborn moron still thinking 27 riders are enough. He literally said the same thing before this season why a lot of people immediately said it wouldn't have been enough to then contract 2 new riders in the middle of the season because they needed more riders. And now he's thinking 27 is enough again? Ridiculous.

And then there is him waiting on the u23 ECs while they have happened already? That must be a mistake from the journalist. No way Lelangue is that stupid.

Lotto needed Cras (my god he's horrible at TTing) to do the TT that Moniquet did today but well.. It's too late anyways. Moniquets performance in this TT (and his 11th in GC) suprised me tho. He never trains on the TT bike so that 15th place must mean he has some sort of TT talent. He isn't the most talented rider but his work ethic is great so I'm iinterested to see if he can keep making steps and actually become a decent GC rider or stage hunter.

56 UCI points down the drain thanks to the UCI tho. Moniquet isn't in Lotto's top 10, even tho he will have more than 220 points tmrw. So annoying that Wellens got (serious) COVID as he would've gotten a good amount of points here probably.

Last edited:
Pathetic...

is this the same Lefevre who ragequit the devo team entirely due to poaching?

Pathetic...

This literally happens in every youth team. You don't invest in riders when you don't get anything in return. And definitely not when it's a rider who should be happy that a team gave him everything he wanted (literally dissapointed riders because they took Lecerf to big races when he hadn't proven anything) after already being spit out by another team.

Also hilarious that it's Lefevere, as hypotcritical as it gets.

This literally happens in every youth team. You don't invest in riders when you don't get anything in return. And definitely not when it's a rider who should be happy that a team gave him everything he wanted (literally dissapointed riders because they took Lecerf to big races when he hadn't proven anything) after already being spit out by another team.

Also hilarious that it's Lefevere, as hypotcritical as it gets.
The story goes that they went to Lotto but didn't get a response until after they went to Lefevere. If that is correct, then Lotto has nobody to blame but themselves. In that case i also find it pathetic and childish to react like this. No, let me rephrase, it is pathetic and childish to react like this regardless, but if the story is correct, it's even worse. The guy did a great baby Giro, finished 4th. What did they think would happen? That other teams would not show interest in the rider? They have an obligation towards the rider for the entire season, not just until word gets out he might be leaving. If this is common practice at youth teams, i think that's really sad.

Also, this won't be the last u23 rider that will jump ship with the way the team is run, and the pending relegation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jumbo Visma Fan :)

TRENDING THREADS