• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lotto looking for a sprinter next year

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
If they want a good sprinter, surely Andre Griepel must be near the top of the list given that he's pretty quick and almost certainly sick of playing second fiddle to Cavendish.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Was wondering if Greipel has ridden many classics. He had a 3rd place in Nokere Koerse and won the Kampionenschaap van Vlaanderen (unsure if that contains cobbles) in 2008. Might they want more of a classics guy/sprinter? A la... well, Tom Boonen!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
If I were Lotto I'd go after Modolo. If you can get a 4th place at Sanremo at that age you have a bright future ahead of you.
Maybe they will try to get Steegmans back.

Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
Maybe one of the sprinters will want off Sky next year. There's a fair amount of competition there.

Having said that, looks like Chris Sutton is the one that fits that bill, and I don't know if he would bring the desired results (or leave Sky, with the family connection).

How about Farrar? Stays in Belgium, has expressed a desire to ride more classics, fast enough to be an improvement to Roelandts/Van Avermaet. He's an important personality in Garmin, though.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
taiwan said:
Maybe one of the sprinters will want off Sky next year. There's a fair amount of competition there.

Having said that, looks like Chris Sutton is the one that fits that bill, and I don't know if he would bring the desired results (or leave Sky, with the family connection).

How about Farrar? Stays in Belgium, has expressed a desire to ride more classics, fast enough to be an improvement to Roelandts/Van Avermaet. He's an important personality in Garmin, though.

Theo "throw to Daryl" Bos.

blackcat said:
Theo "throw to Daryl" Bos.

I thought he was Theo 'Eat fence Daryl' Bos:D

But anyway, they should definitely go after Greipel. IMO easily second best sprinter in the world, possibly atm is actually the best with Chav on such shithouse form. i would really like to say Cav v Greipel, would actually make sprints interesting again.

I like the Steegemans idea. He would be back on a team that would actually take him to the TdF, instead of just some second-rate wins against amateurs or in small pro races.

TRENDING THREADS