• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Love Cycling?... Hate Cancer?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
For those wanting to make a difference, also consider the following in Canada:

Canadian Cancer Society: the largest charitable funder of cancer research in Canada (http://www.cancer.ca/canada-wide/how%20you%20can%20help/cw-make%20a%20donation.aspx)
Terry Fox Run: the world's largest one-day fundraiser for cancer research
Childhood Cancer Foundation (http://www.childhoodcancer.ca/help/index.html)

Please note that LiveStrong is an advocacy agency, they do very little to support cancer research or advance cancer treatments. I am not trying to belittle what LiveStrong does, but I do want people to know that there are many charitable organizations within Canada, most of which are longer standing than LiveStrong, that have long done work to advance the treatment and care of people with cancer by funding and supporting cancer research. I will not reignite the debate about administration costs etc, but please strongly consider who your donations will go to if you are only going to support one or two charities per year.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
That had to be said.

And it must be added: LA loves cancer because it makes him more rich. He squeezes money out of people with a .com-business out of the prestige of a .org-business. A slap in the face of cancer survivors and patients.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Okay, I won't delete it. But I will encourage people who visit this link, to take a look at the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, where another great American cyclist, Freddie Hoffman, has ridden more miles than anyone on the planet in the name of cancer awareness.

Plus, Freddie's a very friendly guy, no controversies surround him, and he isn't making money hand over fist on his "brand".

Alpe i don´t want to disturb. But since when is the forum a free-of-charge commercial place for LA? I don´t think there should be another platform for a convicted liar and cheater...

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
LA is just an errand boy for an industry filled to the gills with corruption and greed. There is a small majority (Doctors/Researchers) that truly mean well, but with so much money involved its hard not to fall prey (like most politicians) to all those "worldly" temptations that corrupt both the heart and the mind.

Even the experts are calling foul...see here.

When people realize that "prevention" is the key to maintaining good health, then we probably won't see topics like this come up anymore. (Not the time to be moving to the Gulf Coast)

If one wants to improve the body's performance on a bike and/or coherently ride a bike into their '90's, I suggest reading "Food is your best Medicine" by Dr. Henry Bieler.

He recommends the consumption of 80% Alkaline foods to one's diet.

Research has shown that Cancer Cells cannot survive in an Alkaline body.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Robert Merivel said:
Even the experts are calling foul...see here.

Thanks, a good informative read. Everyone about to support LA´s profit-driven company should read the linked article before they donate.

I quote some of the article:

"The next time you are asked to donate to a cancer organisation, bear in mind that your money will be used to sustain an industry which has been deemed by many eminent scientists as a qualified failure and by others, as a complete fraud. If you would like to make a difference, inform these organisations that you won't donate to them until they change their approach to one which is focussed on prevention and study of the human condition. We have the power to change things by making their present approach unprofitable. It is only through our charitable donations and taxes that these institutions survive on their present unproductive path."

The American Cancer Society has been around for almost one hundred years. Forty years ago, after my aunt died of cancer in our home, I began (then fourteen years old) to donate a bit of money every year and continue to do so. The ACS gave my mother a lot of valuable information and assistance when we decided to turn our home into a hospice for my aunt. I have done my due diligence of them when I wanted to donate larger sums of money and discovered they are directly funding research as well as hospice care for those who are terminal. If you want an alternative to the liveStrong I strongly suggest checking them out.

May 11, 2010
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Thanks, a good informative read. Everyone about to support LA´s profit-driven company should read the linked article before they donate.

Experts are calling foul?
Actually this article is supporting LA foundation rather than others, like the American Cancer Society. It asks for focus on Prevention such as nutrition, environment, etc LA donations do not go to cancer researchs.
But then I stopped reading this crap when I got to this. "Researchers are like prostitutes. They work for grant money".

Anybody knows any hot researchers? :rolleyes:

May 11, 2010
www.givetolive.ca
elapid said:
For those wanting to make a difference, also consider the following in Canada:

Canadian Cancer Society: the largest charitable funder of cancer research in Canada (http://www.cancer.ca/canada-wide/how%20you%20can%20help/cw-make%20a%20donation.aspx)
Terry Fox Run: the world's largest one-day fundraiser for cancer research
Childhood Cancer Foundation (http://www.childhoodcancer.ca/help/index.html)

Please note that LiveStrong is an advocacy agency, they do very little to support cancer research or advance cancer treatments. I am not trying to belittle what LiveStrong does, but I do want people to know that there are many charitable organizations within Canada, most of which are longer standing than LiveStrong, that have long done work to advance the treatment and care of people with cancer by funding and supporting cancer research. I will not reignite the debate about administration costs etc, but please strongly consider who your donations will go to if you are only going to support one or two charities per year.

We donate also donate to Ovarian Cancer Canada (http://www.ovariancanada.org), Craig’s Cause for Pancreatic Cancer (http://www.craigscause.ca), and The Canadian Cancer Society (http://www.cancer.ca). Also we have made a commitment to donate $10,000.00 of the funds raised to Camp Goodtimes, a summer recreation program for children with cancer that has changed lives by offering over 500 children each year a fun, entertaining and engaging week of activities at no cost.

May 5, 2009
Visit site
as my initial post was deleted, here again.

NO, I am not interested in paticipating in PR shows for
THE CANCER OF CYCLING himself.

in particular I have no respect for liars, dopers, cheaters and people who build a reputation and build a .com business to cash in, founded on a pro forma .org charity. Yes, I am myself a cancer survivor.

May 11, 2010
www.givetolive.ca
I dont understand why there is so much hate in this forum. None the less I am still happy with the amount of people we have helped.

Here is a picture of one of our riders who is a cancer survivor himself ridding with Lance at the Livestrong event last year in Austin
4231901106_ffd719abb2.jpg

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I object to this thread. i don't see why the forum should be helping promote the myth that LA is good for cancer. He makes an absolute mint for himself using cancer.:mad:

He is a cancer, one of many on the sport of cycling.

Love Cycling, hate LA, hate cancer, give your money to real people who fight it.

Aug 19, 2009
Visit site
GIVETOLIVE said:
I dont understand why there is so much hate in this forum. [/IMG]

It might have something to do with the fact that you don't actually appear to be contributing to the forum in any way, except to promote (advertise) your cause. 6 posts all in this thread.

Cog

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
On my ride today I met a couple of guys from Holland. They were doing a 6 bridge NYC ride. The club that they ride for does events that benefit an organization called Inspire to Live. Both guys were very nice and they let me know that they raised 1o million euros by riding up Alpe d'Huez with the group. They said their vacation will last 4 days more in NYC. If you see these guys around buy them a beer

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
FoxxyBrown1111 said:
Alpe i don´t want to disturb. But since when is the forum a free-of-charge commercial place for LA? I don´t think there should be another platform for a convicted liar and cheater...

I second this motion. Since the blatant pubicity blitz for the 28 jersey started I cynically thought that was the final gasp for public support in advance of Novitsky's investigation. Since then this forum, one of the few that tolerates hard, real views of LA & his manipulations of the sport & charity for profit; seemingly has been targeted by a legion of promotional flacks. It seems the 28 campaign is just the start of the very public defense by Armstrong's PAC. Is Karl Rove working for this guy now?

jushiliu

BANNED
Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Again, I please urge Bike Shop you to oppose Florida S318. The current
Concern law is working; it just needs more time to accomplish its mandate. This bill would have a large negative
me personally, and would be particularly damaging to the many breeders of RoC animals in the state of Florida.
Bike Store Additionally, the
negative consequences of S318 could potentially extend to greatly worsening the problem it was drafted to solve. The
Reptiles of Bike Trials Concern law, combined with the current efforts by
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and with help from Florida reptile breeders, is more than enough
the python problem in the Everglades.Bike Trial Seller

TRENDING THREADS