• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Luxembourg Harrassment

He's going to be in for a rough ride from the press and public alike. Heckling is going to become second nature.
He needs to sign up BPC, Polish, Flicker, Speedbump etc, as extra "muscle" for the Tour.
They'd certainly know how to protect his ass, since they seem to live in the vicinity.;)

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Mellow Velo said:
He's going to be in for a rough ride from the press and public alike. Heckling is going to become second nature.
He needs to sign up BPC, Polish, Flicker, Speedbump etc, as extra "muscle" for the Tour.
They'd certainly know how to protect his ass, since they seem to live in the vicinity.;)

Mellow, would you like your children, wife,girlfriend, nephews around the louts?
I will answer for myself, no. Even to hear catcalls at you loathed one Lance?

I did see about at least a dozen kids in the You Tube video. Also women. Who acts like that in front of women and children?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Mellow, would you like your children, wife,girlfriend, nephews around the louts?

I did see about at least a dozen kids in the You Tube video. Also women. Who acts like that in front of women and children?

While I agree about loutish behaviour that's nothing to what happens on the climbs. The guy was booing. I've done that at NBA officials and they seemed to ignore me.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
While I agree about loutish behaviour that's nothing to what happens on the climbs. The guy was booing. I've done that at NBA officials and they seemed to ignore me.
Of course it is fine to cuss out a zebra, as long as you do not offend your neighbors. It comes with the umpires job or if you like the UCI president. I think if people want to take jabs at Lance here, fine go ahead no harm no foul. Luxumberg was another setting among more civilized folk than us. It is another thing if there is an intimate setting of autographs signing there are children around and the person harrassing and hiding in a crowd. That goes for any sport or venue. It is not about my kissing up to Lance it is common sense.
If the French want to fling rotten Camebert at Lance on the climbs I do not like it but it is OK if the French police say it is OK. Stalking behavior not OK with me. NEVER!

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
Of course it is fine to cuss out a zebra, as long as you do not offend your neighbors. It comes with the umpires job or if you like the UCI president. I think if people want to take jabs at Lance here, fine go ahead no harm no foul. Luxumberg was another setting among more civilized folk than us. It is another thing if there is an intimate setting of autographs signing there are children around and the person harrassing and hiding in a crowd. That goes for any sport or venue. It is not about my kissing up to Lance it is common sense.
If the French want to fling rotten Camebert at Lance on the climbs I do not like it but it is OK if the French police say it is OK. Stalking behavior not OK with me. NEVER!

This is the part that can't happen. Riding is hard and dangerous enough without the added threat to other competitors. At least the berated atheletes in other sports are usually separated from the crowd. If some lusty, vocal opinions (minus the pointless invectives) are enough to vent some steam, fine. The problem is the folks working themselves into this state still need to get a f*cking life. If they think they know enough to paint LA in this manner they've got a ton of other candidates to heckle as well.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Don't even think about going to a Premiere League match.. 45 thousand people calling you a ****er ! The sword of fame cuts both ways.
Don't try to use the kids as some kind of human shield.
Perhaps its better they hear some of the critics, its not Mary Poppins or Disney channel stuff is it?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
This is the part that can't happen. Riding is hard and dangerous enough without the added threat to other competitors. At least the berated atheletes in other sports are usually separated from the crowd. If some lusty, vocal opinions (minus the pointless invectives) are enough to vent some steam, fine. The problem is the folks working themselves into this state still need to get a f*cking life. If they think they know enough to paint LA in this manner they've got a ton of other candidates to heckle as well.

I prefer a gargantuan male genitilia set minus one testicle painted on the road on a climb where a helo is just going to have to pan in on it.
That is art!

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
dolophonic said:
Don't even think about going to a Premiere League match.. 45 thousand people calling you a ****er ! The sword of fame cuts both ways.
Perhaps its better they hear some of the critics, its not Mary Poppins or Disney channel stuff is it?

I only was at one pro match in Britan. I was in a little pie wedge protected by Bobbies. Yes we few brave supported the visiting team. Yeah you can have that action. Kinda hard to tell where the skinhead razors strike next. You can have that action. That is to violent for me. Keep it out of cycling and other sports.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Where is Hinault when you need him?

scribe said:
They got a lot of ghosts in Luxe.

Lance was actually smiling. haha. He is gonna have to get used to it, mate.

"Lot of Ghosts" lol
boo boo boo boo boo lol

Lance handled the "situation" VERY professionally didn't he.
Hinault would have tackled the guy.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
Polish said:
Lance handled the "situation" VERY professionally didn't he.

Actually I find it pretty pathetic to stand on the rails and challenge the guy at the back of the crowd when you are surrounded by supporters, team officials, and no doubt body guards. There's no way the guy can get to you so you don't look tough, you look like the kid picking a fight knowing his big brother is standing around the corner. A professional would have ignored the guy, realizing that there are many who like you and many who don't. Comes with the territory.

Now here's a guy who got too close to the subject of his wrath and nearly paid a heavy price. He should have thanked God for the officials. Tie Domi... yeesh. You don't want to fight him.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:

won't somebody think of the children :mad::mad: it makes me so mad and sad that innocent young children had to hear the sound of someone booing :mad: not to mention the women :(

quite a few psychologists in luxembourg will make a ton from this

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Sorry perhaps if I offend anyone, but really what was the big deal, a bit of booing. Not like he was calling anyone by a dirty name. And for what if heavens name would the police come? He did nothing which could be considered a crime

May 6, 2009
Visit site
tubularglue said:

dolophonic said:

Mate, I have been to English Premier League game and there were 8 year old kids using language that would of got me into a lot of hot water when I was their age (one example will be a kid calling an opposition player's mum to be of the promiscuous type and the word that starts with an 's' and ends with a 't').

That was nothing.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I'll telll you who this booer was - most likely some 15 year old kid who knows nothing about cycling and wanted to prove to all his other little 15 year old friends how cool he was.

The other people in the crowd got annoyed with him too, I could hear several people yelling "Shut the heck up" in luxembourgish.

I think most people were happy to see him ride in Luxembourg and were fair to him. As some people have already said, this is just something you will always have to face as a professional athlete, musician, actor ... anyone who is somewhat famous probably has had to go through this.

When he stood up like that the 15 year old probably crapped his pants, so well done Lance! That's just weak ... anyone can hide behind a big crowd and do that, but as Lance rightfully guessed they didn't have the guts (or the knowledge of cycling) to confront Lance face to face with something more intelligent than "boo".

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Christian said:
When he stood up like that the 15 year old probably crapped his pants, so well done Lance! That's just weak ... anyone can hide behind a big crowd and do that, but as Lance rightfully guessed they didn't have the guts (or the knowledge of cycling) to confront Lance face to face with something more intelligent than "boo".

Are you for real? A professional athlete with bodyguards and police protection challenged a 15yr old heckler to a confrontation and you think the heckler is the coward/bully? Especially when calling lance a cheat is calling a spade a spade?

Maybe Lance could have had Eckimov spit on him?
Perhaps he could donate a truancy detection device to the kids school and have him put in detention?
Maybe the kid has a girlfriend Lance can f**k?
He could have called him a cancer lover in front of all his friends....