• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Maciej Paterski's ride to glory

Meet Maciej Paterski

A lot of you will agree that the rider in question has done enough this spring to earn himself a thread. I certainly do think so, most likely given my strong bias - I come from his neck of the woods, lol

326px-Leuven_-_Brabantse_Pijl%2C_15_april_2015%2C_vertrek_%28B127%29.JPG

ProCyclingStats.com:
Date of birth: 12th September 1986 (28yo), in Kalisz (PL)
Nationality: Polish
Weight: 71 kg Height: 1.86 m
Team: CCC-Sprandi-Polkowice

I didn’t follow him closely in his years as a junior or espoirs rider, but he had a few wins & podiums in one-day races in Italy, and won the Points Classification at Tour de l'Avenir in 2008. He then rode with Marchiol Pasta Montegrappa Site through 2009, with Elia Viviani being one of his team-mates. Arguably, his results at u23 level warranted a spell as a stagiaire, and, subsequently, a contract with Liquigas-Doimo (WT) for 2010.

He had very few notable results with the Italian team, mainly having to fulfil domestique duties. I first realised he is a prospect during 2012 Tour of Romandie. If he hadn’t got boxed-in, he would have denied Brad Wigging his one and only sprint victory (Stage 1). Well, it’s just an opinion – most of you will say that Wiggo was simply unstoppable that year :p Anyway, Maciek rode an aggressive race, yet remained on a bottle duty through that season, and the next as well. Can’t really blame Liquigas management, and not even the late surge towards the end of 2013 could secure him a contract at the Pro Tour level. He first clinched a podium in GP Industria & Commercio di Prato (1.1), and then my eyes nearly popped out when Maciek came home 19th in the Elite Road Race at the Worlds. Quite a feat if you bear in mind the parcours and the weather conditions in Florence.

Failing to secure a contract with a Pro Tour team is, of late, proving to be a blessing in disguise. He really took his chances in 2014 with CCC, first winning the overall in Tour of Norway (HC) with De Maar, Mollema, Larsson and Ciolek rounding up the top5 on GC. He also won the Mountains Classification in Tour de Pologne (PT). Then came the Worlds in Ponferrada, where Maciek was instrumental in Kwiato’s victory. He singlehandedly brought back a dangerous break on the penultimate lap with a 10k-long turn at the front (ok, it was mostly downhill ), and then did some policing work on Mirador when Kwiatek had attacked. He came home 17th, not really contesting the sprint, being overjoyed with his team-mate’s win.

Despite heaps of praise from Polish cycling community (I’m sure he had caught an eye of some of the forums members by then), it wasn’t until this spring that we all realised what budding genius of two wheels Maciej is – somebody should really curb the enthusiasm here :D

As some of you well remember, he finally brought the goods home in a Pro-Tour race (Volta Ciclista a Catalunya). His maiden PT win came just a day after finishing La Primavera in the front group – not bad at all. Recently, he finished a runner-up in Volta Limburg Classic (1.1) – tactically a poor display from CCC-Sprandi-Polkowice outfit, and got awesome 9th places in both De Brabantse Pijl and Amstel Gold Race – he should have followed Ben Hermans in the former race rather than the latter :p He’ll learn from that tactical error – exactly the mistake Kwiato had made last year, following Samuel Sanchez up the Cauberg. Maciej’s dominance in this week’s the new stage race in Croatia (against a poor field it has to be said), no longer raised any eyebrows. Giro is approaching fast, but he already has 31 racing days in his legs, and unless he’s able to display a la Valverde season-long peak of form, he will probably fade early on (I would be heart-broken if this thread had to be moved to The Clinic :eek: ).

Sky (Pro Cycling Project) is the limit, although I’d rather he stuck to his leadership role at a smaller team. Taking his palmares aside, Maciej is a fearless attacker, with an aptitude for short punchy climbs. His trademark has to be his peculiar way of sprinting, with his bum glued to the saddle – he must have picked it up from Spartacus himself :rolleyes:  His nickname in the Polish community/peleton is Patera. Being 28yo, he is probably past being a prospect, but definitely, a rider to watch in the next few seasons! Hopefully, Maciej’s good form continues, and this thread resurfaces once in a while.

Oh, so Paterski was born in the same city as me. :D

He is definetely showing the form of his life recently. He should attarct some interest from WT teams riding like that. I wonder if he prefers to stay with CCC in a leadership role or go to WT again. CCC reportedly have some WT ambitions for the future, so maybe he will stick with them.

Good to see his career has not been broken after being refused an extension at WT level.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
He's a rider with balls. I like him.

I hope he still has something left for the Giro. He can win a stage there and animate the race.

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Paterski was reborn in CCC. He's always a good racer, but maybe he's overwhelmed or pushed to other tasks in Liquigas? The potential was always there but somehow they stopped him.

My only concern is his form during the Giro. He's peaking since Catalunya... But maybe his real peak will come on Giro!

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

KubaWinter said:
Paterski was reborn in CCC. He's always a good racer, but maybe he's overwhelmed or pushed to other tasks in Liquigas? The potential was always there but somehow they stopped him.

My only concern is his form during the Giro. He's peaking since Catalunya... But maybe his real peak will come on Giro!
I hope!
I think he should attack in the end of 1st and 2nd week,cuz he could be a bit tired by the end.

Jul 16, 2014
Visit site
Re:

trevim said:
I never really understood why Liquigas let him go, he was one of the few decent riders there when he left. Better for him though, should be back in the WT in no time if he wants to.

I think he doesn't want to, I remember some interview where Paterski said that beside being in a good form physically, he feels a lot better mentally now, when he rides for CCC. He can live in Poland with his family and in Liquigas/Cannondale he was a little depressed and lonely.

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Re:

nayr497 said:
Could we get a pronunciation of his first name from one of our resident Polish cyclists?
I believe its something like- Machiay (1st a is pronounced with a not ə), but I think polish guys know better :)

The best pronunciation you'll get is if you use http://www.ivona.com Just pick one of the Polish voices from the menu (I recommend Jacek or Maja - these seem to be the most native-like and least 'robotic'), key in any Polish name/word/sentence into the textbox (just watch those Polish characters) and there you are! BTW, I've been using this website for years - they have come a long way.

Please, could some1 shows this website to Eurosport commentators (with an exception of Magnus :p ) prior to the Giro, as CCC are coming to Italy with some intent!

TRENDING THREADS