• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

maglia bianca

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
What's the maximum age for the white jersey? Does Brajkovic still qualify? And Lövkvist? If not, I think the Belgians have a good shot at it actually: Seeldraeyers, De Greef, Devenyns. Not sure how they will hold up in a three week race though. Oh, and Boasson Hagen of course. But I highly doubt the winner of the white jersey will also be in the general top 10.

I guess the riders, just as in TDF, has to be under the age of 25, when entering 2009 (Which would make both Brajkovic and Devenyns ineligible for the jersey)

Just like Jasper I predict Seeldraeyers (don't know particularly much about De Greef) to be a contender, but also guys like Davide Malacarne, Dominique Cornu, Arnold Jeanneson, Eros Capecchi, Maxim Belkov, Dmytro Grabovskyy, Pieter Jacobs have proven their worth in the mountains and therefore should be considered.

But my two favourites (with the current startlist) is yet another QuickStep rider (they have quite a few prospects for the white jersey): Dario Cataldo and the brilliant Venezuelan: Jackson Rodriguez. These two have shown a bit higher level than the rest so far IMHO.

Kazistuta said:
I guess the riders, just as in TDF, has to be under the age of 25, when entering 2009 (Which would make both Brajkovic and Devenyns ineligible for the jersey)

Just like Jasper I predict Seeldraeyers (don't know particularly much about De Greef) to be a contender, but also guys like Davide Malacarne, Dominique Cornu, Arnold Jeanneson, Eros Capecchi, Maxim Belkov, Dmytro Grabovskyy, Pieter Jacobs have proven their worth in the mountains and therefore should be considered.

But my two favourites (with the current startlist) is yet another QuickStep rider (they have quite a few prospects for the white jersey): Dario Cataldo and the brilliant Venezuelan: Jackson Rodriguez. These two have shown a bit higher level than the rest so far IMHO.

If the rule is under 25 at the start of the year and not before the start of the race then Lovkvist qualifies and I'd give him a good shot. I'd also add John-Lee Augustyn from Barloworld to the list. Good call on Jackson Rodriguez.

Brainfart on my behalf.... The Swede should be considered amongst the favourites (and would actually also be one of the only young ones I could see make it into top10).

Augustyn is also a very interesting prospect, still recall the scary moment when he dived over the edge on stage 16 in last years tour - still gives me chills.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
For the tour this year the eligible age is everyone born later than January 1st 1984. Thomas Lövkvist is in that category in the tour so if they have the same limit in the giro then he will be in contention for it there as well.
Agreed.

Are Kreuziger and Nibali (or one of the two) starting in the Giro? I could see them have a shot at getting the white jersey.

I don't think neither of them will start. Basso and Pellizotti will be dual captains, so I guess there won't be space for anyone elses personal ambitions in the race. Besides that I recall reading something about Nibali aiming for Tour De France this year. But both would be obvious choices for the maglia bianca....

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
I based my prognosis on the provisional startlists available. There's definetely no Kreuziger or Nibali in the Giro, so they don't have to be included. No certainty about Jackson Rodriguez as well, but I agree he's a good contender if he participates. I don't think Cornu will start either, although the Quickstep roster isn't complete yet. Good call on Cataldo though, he has won the baby giro a few years ago, no?

According to cyclingstartlists.com, Cornu will start. There's only one spot left to fill. Jackson Rodriguez is among the eight riders competing for the last six places on DQ.

And yes, Cataldo won the baby giro three years ago, curiously enough five seconds ahead of the aforementioned Grabovskyy.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Jasper said:
I based my prognosis on the provisional startlists available. There's definetely no Kreuziger or Nibali in the Giro, so they don't have to be included.
Fair enough. Had not seen any startlists yet. Checked out a few of them, but it looks like you're right. Shame though, could have been interesting..

Jasper said:
I don't think Cornu will start either, although the Quickstep roster isn't complete yet.
I did actually find Cornu on the lists I found.

Can some tell me under which rock I have been sleeping? FdJ appears to have gone missing...

Apr 3, 2009
www.dj-vega.net
Ah, good to see that Cornu will ride after all. But I think he'll fall a bit short for a three week race. Seeldraeyers would be a better shot for the white jersey over three weeks, but I'd love to see Cornu do well in the timetrials.

Not to compare the two of them, but Andy Schleck managed to become runner-up in his first ever grand tour. I know it's a popular guideline to follow (the "endurance factor"), but there's plenty of examples of the opposite. I think Ivan Basso also managed to win the white jersey (and place 11) in his first ever grand tour. Again: I'm not comparing Rodriguez to him;)

But regardless, our Venezuelan climber/sprinter HAS actually last year done a two week stage race, his homecountrys national tour. The competition in Italia is most likely "a tad" better, but he has shown his endurance.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Cornu said last week he's building towards his first grand tour, what will be the Vuelta, so i don't think he'll start in Venezia. My favorite: Dario Cataldo. Morris Possoni might be another protagonista, though he isn't doing a great Romandie.

I would say that young guys competeing in the top in GTs very early in their careers is an exception rather than a rule. Also I would expect at least a few of such performances to be the result of drug use rather than pure talent. I'm thinking primarily of for example Ricco last year but there are probably others as well...

Bartoli said:
Cornu said last week he's building towards his first grand tour, what will be the Vuelta, so i don't think he'll start in Venezia. My favorite: Dario Cataldo. Morris Possoni might be another protagonista, though he isn't doing a great Romandie.

I find the first statement a bit odd, since Cornu participated in Vuelta Espana last year...:confused:

Possoni (isn't he a former MTB or cross rider?) is a good candidate indeed, as he also was wearing the maglia bianca last year for several stages.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Yeah you're right. I remember he (Cornu) did a good first week, last year, of the Vuelta.

About Cornu participating in the Giro: what i said is what Renaat Schotte (Belgian commentator) said during one of the stages of the Tour the Romandie, he said he spoke to Cornu. So i can only assume he is right and Cornu is not gonna start.