• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Main rider targets for 2021

So, although the start of the season is still a bit uncertain, because of the Corona situation, now is the time when more and more riders announce their main goals for this year.
This year the riders are much later than usual, which also has to do with the fact that the course for the Giro and the Vuelta have not yet been finally published.

Nevertheless, I have collected some information about which rider targets have already been communicated:

Froome: Tour
Pogacar: Tour
Roglic: Tour
Landa: Giro, Tour
Lopez: Tour, Vuelta
Mas: Tour, Vuelta
Soler: Giro
Buchmann: Giro
Ackermann: Tour
Bennett: Milan- San Remo, Gent Wevelgem, Tour
Evenepoel: Giro, Olympics

Reactions: Sandisfan
Ewan wants to win a stage in all three Grand Tours. Nice goal to have. It hasn't been done since Petacchi did it (extremely emphatically) in 2003 (where he won six, four and five stages in the three races, respectively).

He doesn't expect to do the Vuelta if he doesn't succeed in winning in both the Giro and the Tour and obviously doesn't expect to finish all three Grand Tours.

Last edited:
Ewan wants to win a stage in all three Grand Tours. Nice goal to have. It hasn't been done since Petacchi did it (extremely emphatically) in 2003 (where he won six, four and five stages in the three races, respectively).

He doesn't expect to do the Vuelta if he doesn't succeed in winning in both the Giro and the Tour and obviously doesn't expect to finish all three Grand Tours.

Like this?

Giro - early stage win, then pack before big string of mountain stages
Tour - stage wins, possibly fight for green?
Vuelta - If he has done both before, then go for it.

Just to be clear; is this about the tagets - all of them - of the main riders, or the main tagets of all riders, or the main tagets of main riders?
Well, my idea had been to discuss here the main targets for the year 2021 of the most important riders. Last year the thread went well, so I thought it´s good to have one also this year.

Whole schedules of riders we can discuss in the "The 2021 rider schedule thread."

So, option 3, then?
One can mention every rider one consider important enough to write about..
As an example for this article:

Main targets of Poels and Haig are Ardennes classics, Tour and Olympics
As I mentioned the whole schedule of the riders (Valenciana and UAE Tour) could be disussed in another thread.

Is this ok?

One can mention every rider one consider important enough to write about..
As an example for this article:

Main targets of Poels and Haig are Ardennes classics, Tour and Olympics
As I mentioned the whole schedule of the riders (Valenciana and UAE Tour) could be disussed in another thread.

Is this ok?

I honestly don't see the necessity of the distinction between the two threads but I think there are bigger issues in the world ;)

TRENDING THREADS