• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Mallorca Challenge 26th - 30th of january 2022

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Armstrong was an extraordinarily dominating rider back then. Pogacar was the same in 2021. I really don't see what's wrong in comparing the two when emphasising what a performance it was by Valverde back then. I don't think the poster meant that Pogacar was also a doping-infused tyrant...

You could have said all that in the first place without the meaningless "..." post.

I think they are very different type of riders, hence why I said I dont like the comparison. Thats is just my opinion, so we can agree to disagree. :)

Reactions: Sandisfan
You could have said all that in the first place without the meaningless "..." post.

I think they are very different type of riders, hence why I said I dont like the comparison. Thats is just my opinion, so we can agree to disagree. :)

Actually, I think they were/are very similar with the prime exception that Armstrong did not aim to peak for much else than the Tour in many of the years but he does have a lot of good results in the Ardennes. Or maybe he doesn't anymore, I don't know if they've felt the need to scratch them as well, but he was close to winning Liège and Amstel a few times. Plus he was very good on the TT and in the mountains, had an excellent punch, was fast on the line, thriving in bad weather conditions, strong in long one-day races and immune to crashes just like Pogacar.

Actually, I think they were/are very similar with the prime exception that Armstrong did not aim to peak for much else than the Tour in many of the years but he does have a lot of good results in the Ardennes. Or maybe he doesn't anymore, I don't know if they've felt the need to scratch them as well, but he was close to winning Liège and Amstel a few times. Plus he was very good on the TT and in the mountains, had an excellent punch, was fast on the line, thriving in bad weather conditions, strong in long one-day races and immune to crashes just like Pogacar.

I think the closest comparison to Armstrong is Froome, for many different reasons.

Both their dominance in GTs and with their teams being so dominant. Sky was the modern version of US Postal Service, with a lot of focus on the Tour.

Froome has never been a one-day racer though, but there are other factors. I mean you mentioned the doping-part, without going further into that. We will never get the "perfect match" and could twist similarities to fit both of our narratives here to say this or that.

I also put stock into how they speak and are off the bike, at least what we hear and see, between Pog and Armstrong in a comparison. Hence my opinion will always be "I dont like the comparison". It is not just the type of rider that goes into it for me, but also what type of people they seem to be. I should have said that in the last post also.

Last edited:
Froome is nothing like Armstrong - Lance was a good one day rider who could have been better if he displayed more patience, while Froome has never shown anything in one day races - Froome had a stronger team than Armstrong at the TDF - Armstrong's first two TDF's had an average team while his team got stronger from his third year.

I didnt say that he was a good one-day rider...

But if we saying Armstrong had era... Froome definitely had one too.

Like I said, you wont find a perfect match but I think you can find similarities in the dominance and in the way they won. Thats why I made the comparison, that I find a much better one. So Armstrong didnt have the best team the first two times he won? What about the other five. If you are gonna nitpick, then so be it.

I was never discussing or saying they were the same type of rider.

And going back to what I said about "dont like the comparison" with Pog and Armstrong, I simply dont for many different reasons. Agree or disagree.

There has been a lot of other riders that have won GTs and one-day races in the past.

We are only in the beginning of Pogs career and hopefully it will continue.

Agreed. Teddy is the new Texan Sheriff.

• Haha

TRENDING THREADS