• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Manditory standown

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Looking for opinions and discussion:
I am a masters fattie racer, 41, below domestic pro level but at the pointy end of age group stuff (in NZ).

Came off a heavy block and peak, got sick and haven't come right for about 6 weeks. I was suffering from chronic chest pain, resting heart rate has been 10bpm up but performance on the bike has been ok. Started to get worried about my heart so went and saw the doc. She thinks the pain is from the constant dry cough which is related to allergy and possible virus, heart and lungs sounded good. She has prescribed:
5 Days of Prednisone 20mg
30 Days of Loratadine 10mg
30 Days of Univent Aqueous Nasal spray 0.03%

So the question is what is my stand down time when taking this stuff, I presume the Prednisone is on the banned list is a corticosteroid, not sure on the Loratadine or spray. I guess there is two aspects, glow time and moral. The closest I have been to doping before is juicing vegetables, exciting stuff.

Thoughts?

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Talk to the doctor next time, and ask for wada guideline advice from someone who knows or can work it out, not an online forum.

Probably a bit over the top for my situation, I'm not on the ooc test list, don't have any races coming up for two months and the ones after aren't sanctioned or tested. In fact I have never been tested ever. Do have my eye on some Strava KOMs tho....

If I was doing the nationals or something I would take proper advice for sure, it's more the moral question I was interested in.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
ralphbert said:
Probably a bit over the top for my situation, I'm not on the ooc test list, don't have any races coming up for two months and the ones after aren't sanctioned or tested. In fact I have never been tested ever. Do have my eye on some Strava KOMs tho....

If I was doing the nationals or something I would take proper advice for sure, it's more the moral question I was interested in.

The doctor you saw for the medicine should be able to tell you. It's not something special you have to do or someone special you have to see.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
ralphbert said:
I am a masters fattie racer, 41, below domestic pro level but at the pointy end of age group stuff (in NZ).

Came off a heavy block and peak, got sick and haven't come right for about 6 weeks. I was suffering from chronic chest pain, resting heart rate has been 10bpm up but performance on the bike has been ok. Started to get worried about my heart so went and saw the doc. She thinks the pain is from the constant dry cough which is related to allergy and possible virus, heart and lungs sounded good. She has prescribed:

So the question is what is my stand down time when taking this stuff, I presume the Prednisone is on the banned list is a corticosteroid, not sure on the Loratadine or spray. I guess there is two aspects, glow time and moral. The closest I have been to doping before is juicing vegetables, exciting stuff.

Thoughts?

Prednisone and Loratadine are on the banned list. I don't know what the Univent is. The ephedrine in the Loradine should clear quick, give it 3 days to be safe. The Prednisone is longer, 9 days is normal. You do not need a TUE for cortisone as long as you do not inject it, it is used OOC, and it has cleared your system by the time you race.

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
ralphbert said:

Thoughts?

What race are you targeting?

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Fortyninefourteen said:
What race are you targeting?

Targets for the season were in spring, they are done and dusted now. Got life and work commitments for events coming up over next two months and will hit some of the late season sportif and club races after that.

On the plus side we have decided to do a half ironman as a family team, son is swimming, I am riding and wife is running. Sooooo new TT bike for me (wife gets new shoes)

Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Steroid cycle finished. Not sure if I am just getting better or they gave a boost but I felt like a beast at the end of our 175k, 3300mtr ride on Sunday. Like a better me, a healthier me.....

Thanks for the comments. Bring on the Spring classics.

Race Radio said:
Prednisone and Loratadine are on the banned list. The ephedrine in the Loradine should clear quick, give it 3 days to be safe.

What? Loratadine is a second generation antihistamine. A single chemical. There's no ephedrine 'in' it. I think it's unlikely a doctor would ever prescribe ephedrine for anything.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
vedrafjord said:
What? Loratadine is a second generation antihistamine. A single chemical. There's no ephedrine 'in' it. I think it's unlikely a doctor would ever prescribe ephedrine for anything.

Loratadine is marketed under several trade names. In a version named Claritin-D or Clarinase, whitch contains pseudoephedrine

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ralphbert said:

Thoughts?

I, for one, really appreciate your thoughtfulness and honest appraisal of an actual sporting dilemma.
Your affliction is very close to my own in our Springtime. Having been physician tested and prescribed low level (Advair) T by a doctor I had my own concerns about long term health impacts of even low doses. I'm now 20 years older than you and made the choice not to take that route 10 years ago and glad I did. The riders in our area that chose a regular regime of asthma/allergy aids for racing ended up more and more reliant on them. Most have finally quit because the efficacy was questionable but the emerging asthma sensitivity was real. They have all felt improvement relying on a natural response.
Your case sound like the true reason those medications exist. Your doctor should know you best and, yes, if the doses would create a testable result you would want to chill until you're clear. That would be as much as a month depending on the doses. Your health will be better as well but you may go a little crazy having to back off training intensity.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
ralphbert said:
Steroid cycle finished. Not sure if I am just getting better or they gave a boost but I felt like a beast at the end of our 175k, 3300mtr ride on Sunday. Like a better me, a healthier me.....

Thanks for the comments. Bring on the Spring classics.

Roids will make you feel that way. Two weeks from now you may feel the polar opposite as your own hormone levels return to normal. Health first, racing second.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
The doctor you saw for the medicine should be able to tell you. It's not something special you have to do or someone special you have to see.

I wonder about that. How many ordinary doctors will be treating athletes at a level that they are tested? Is this covered in depth at medicine classes? Are doctors informed of rule changes?

I do agree that a doctor shold be able to tell you where to go to(or find out for you).

Genuine questions :)

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Franklin said:
I wonder about that. How many ordinary doctors will be treating athletes at a level that they are tested? Is this covered in depth at medicine classes? Are doctors informed of rule changes?

I do agree that a doctor shold be able to tell you where to go to(or find out for you).

Genuine questions :)

I'd believe / ask a doctor before I believed / asked a forum poster on the Interwebs.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Ripper said:
Pseudoephedrine is not currently prohibited, unless you take a lot. There is guidance in the WADA code to help determine what a "lot" is.

Correct. WADA advise athletes to stop taking PSE pills at least 24 hours before competition. I see now the OP is only taking 10mg, that is tiny. If he is only taking 1 pill per day it would clear within a few hours

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
I'd believe / ask a doctor before I believed / asked a forum poster on the Interwebs.

I don't say I wouldn't go to the doctor ;)

I just wondered if the average doctor would know. I certainly would think he/she could advice me where to go.

TRENDING THREADS