• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Manolo Saiz is coming ....

DAOTEC

BANNED
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
only 1 condition

Alberto Contador in 2011 is all of a sudden widely expected to defend the colors of the formation of Bjarne Riis, Sungard-Specialized ... but there is a great if ... Riis has to retire a little!!

godfather
Since his career, the triple winner of the Tour de France will be confirmed 'only' if the team will be managed by Manolo Saiz in co. with Bjarne Riis.

Yvon Sanquer allegedly confessed to his part that he not directed Alberto Contador but that it was Manolo Siaz during this TdF.

Source: AS

other options
If that isn't the case the Astana combi will be Manolo Saiz - Yvon Sanquer

Or in the worst cenario, if you can call that Manolo Saiz - Johan Bruyneel team name ?

JB doesn't have a contract with RadioShack for next year ... it is finished ... was only till the TdF.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
What is AS and where's the link? I have this peculiar skepticism towards unproven claims about unlikely demands made in red letters and with multiple exclamation marks.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Remember Andy Hampsten's Giro win? Remember Greg in front of the broom wagon at the Tour de Trump, then winning at the Tour de France and that epic World's? Weren't they more special before doping suspicions entered our consciousness? Isn't it unfair to clean riders of the current generation, who might make more income but must endure such doubts from fans? Lance is one of these current heroes, and I even still hope Tyler is as well.

Manolo Saiz/BjaneRis/Spanish Astana riders/.C-pistol. Boy if those were Merikan riders I would bet Greg LeMond would have something to say about that.
Hey what do I care. I do not ride Secialized.

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
Remember Andy Hampsten's Giro win? Remember Greg in front of the broom wagon at the Tour de Trump, then winning at the Tour de France and that epic World's? Weren't they more special before doping suspicions entered our consciousness? Isn't it unfair to clean riders of the current generation, who might make more income but must endure such doubts from fans? Lance is one of these current heroes, and I even still hope Tyler is as well.

Manolo Saiz/BjaneRis/Spanish Astana riders/.C-pistol. Boy if those were Merikan riders I would bet Greg LeMond would have something to say about that.
Hey what do I care. I do not ride Secialized.

Tyler who? :confused:

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
oh you mean Tyler witness for the prosecution Hamilton. I thought you meant a rider.

Do you think Hamiltons' testimony will have much weight? (I am not debating what your opinion is.) He could have more weight than any other witness.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
The only Tyler I know is a Chimera. Scary

chimera2.jpg

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
velosopher54 said:
Based on that I have to wonder, are you schizophrenic? Seriously. Your post doesn't make sense.

*No insult to real schizophrenics.:)

Guess you never listened to Tylers excuse for abnormal blood as he was booted from Vuelta. Its OK no harm, no foul, do your homework.

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:
Guess you never listened to Tylers excuse for abnormal blood as he was booted from Vuelta. Its OK no harm, no foul, do your homework.

I already knew that. Duh.

I am referring to the post where I questioned, Tyler who? It does NOT make sense no matter that I re-read it 3 times.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
velosopher54 said:
I already knew that. Duh.

I am referring to the post where I questioned, Tyler who? It does NOT make sense no matter that I re-read it 3 times.

Sorry Tyler of Phonak. The Tyler of CSC. The Olympic TTChamp. Thats 3 all the same Tyler.

Aug 11, 2009
Visit site
I would love to see Manolo Saiz back in business. Why is it that only the French proletariat seems to truly appreciate the beauty of a boycott disrupting the real object and purpose of an activity?

Sure, this year we saw stars leaving mid-race at the Tour due to crashes and illness; but, where, I ask you, was the histrionic mid-race protest against the tyranny of race officials and external inspectors? Not after the Stockeu crash derby debacle. Not after the cobbled carnage. Surely not after the Renshaw ejection. Not even after the refusal to allow Team Radioshack to continue its war on cancer. Rumor has it that riders even complied with requests for the taking of drug testing samples and the random searching of riders' hotel rooms. Oh, the horror.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
I went through a ton of non-English news stories since I got up a while ago. One did have a sentence saying something about Yvon Sanquer admitting that he hadn't managed Contador. I had no idea what he meant. The only mention I've seen of Saiz is in a number of articles that listed all the managers in Contador's career.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
theswordsman said:
I went through a ton of non-English news stories since I got up a while ago. One did have a sentence saying something about Yvon Sanquer admitting that he hadn't managed Contador.I had no idea what he meant. The only mention I've seen of Saiz is in a number of articles that listed all the managers in Contador's career.

If I recall correctly, Bruyneel made a similiar comment after last year's TdF.
Something about "Alberto having his own people".

Would not be suprised to learn Manolo is now one of "those people".

Earlier this year Manolo was criticising Alberto.
Maybe now Manolo is on the "payroll"?

http://forum.cyclingnews.com/showthread.php?t=5630

Saiz was an incredible strategist, and a motivator. But let's face it, he's been blacklisted from the sport for good reason. If they never let Roberto Heras race again, it's going to be some time before Saiz is back with a team. But this is the UCI we're talking about, so stranger things have happened.

Feb 2, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Saiz was an incredible strategist, and a motivator. But let's face it, he's been blacklisted from the sport for good reason. If they never let Roberto Heras race again, it's going to be some time before Saiz is back with a team. But this is the UCI we're talking about, so stranger things have happened.

I think you are right.

I remember back in the early nineties reading about how Saiz came from a non-traditional director sportif background, a PE teacher or something of the sort, and how all his riders were then using the new polar HRM’s and would fax in the results and outputs from their daily training rides and the entire ONCE operation was like some finely tuned machine.

When I think about it now, it was kind of apt that the main sponsor was a foundation for the Blind, because clearly they were all turning a blind eye to the medical performances.

Unfortunately that was the practice for a lot of the peloton (not all but most). But there is no escaping the fact that he seemed to always use cutting edge technology to advance the performances and was a great strategist and as an honest spectator, it was great to watch. I did think it strange when the entire team had to keep stopping to go to the toilet with Diarrhoea in the 95 Vuelta (I think) – reminded me of the entire PDM team being wiped out in the tour.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
i wonder if Saiz had a hand via email or phone in Contador's win in the TdF last year? Nightly and morning sessions with advice, tactics etc...

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
intothe12 said:
I think you are right.

I remember back in the early nineties reading about how Saiz came from a non-traditional director sportif background, a PE teacher or something of the sort, and how all his riders were then using the new polar HRM’s and would fax in the results and outputs from their daily training rides and the entire ONCE operation was like some finely tuned machine.

When I think about it now, it was kind of apt that the main sponsor was a foundation for the Blind, because clearly they were all turning a blind eye to the medical performances.

Unfortunately that was the practice for a lot of the peloton (not all but most). But there is no escaping the fact that he seemed to always use cutting edge technology to advance the performances and was a great strategist and as an honest spectator, it was great to watch. I did think it strange when the entire team had to keep stopping to go to the toilet with Diarrhoea in the 95 Vuelta (I think) – reminded me of the entire PDM team being wiped out in the tour.

He was a sports science graduate I think: Indeed Brailsford is also, but with an added business accreditation. It seems a good place to start for a general manager. PE teacher?? You have to give ONCE some credit, it was revolutionary. And hugely successful.

Again, in terms of the doping... well, he played the field as he saw it, no? I mean it was a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Is it the fault of the players, or the fault of the game?

Fester said:
He was a sports science graduate I think: Indeed Brailsford is also, but with an added business accreditation. It seems a good place to start for a general manager. PE teacher?? You have to give ONCE some credit, it was revolutionary. And hugely successful.

Again, in terms of the doping... well, he played the field as he saw it, no? I mean it was a case of damned if you do, damned if you don't. Is it the fault of the players, or the fault of the game?
There's a distinct possibility that teams like ONCE stepped up the game significantly.

Aside from that, Manolo Saiz did revolutionize the sport in other areas, at least as far as Spain is concerned.

TRENDING THREADS