• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Manolo Saiz is coming ....

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
DAOTEC said:
Manolo Saiz has released today two cryptic messages on his twitter:

"Rafa, os ha dicho algo interesante El ONCE del ONCE del 2000-ONCE TRAERÁ COLA"

y

"FELIZ 200-ONCE, estoy aquí a petición de mis ciclistas. En mi retorno prometo ser como soy, fiel a mis pensamientos, guste a quien guste.

"HAPPY 200-ONCE"
Lib_Roadman2_Oct05_2.JPG

[http://twitter.com/manolo_saiz]

Related: [http://velonews.competitor.com/manolo-saiz-plots-comeback-by-2012]

Sorry my Spanish is limited, what exactly does this translate as ?

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Maxiton said:
+1. Exactly. And more to the point, cyclists often turn to more than one coach or mentor. Why wouldn't they?

Oh, I don't know about that. Directeurs often criticize their own riders to the press. It seems kind of unseemly but they do it. In this case, the relationship, if there is one, is supposed to be under wraps because Saiz is (still) persona non grata in pro cycling. The thing is, there has always been an exceptionally close relationship between him and Contador - why would that have changed?

Anyway, according to this article Saiz is definitely planning to return to the sport (assuming he ever really left). I like his idea of developing a team out of Asia. That seems like a no-brainer to me, and would certainly be a welcome breakthrough in the still too white-centric peloton.

I thought his comments regarding Contador vis a vis Armstrong were actually pretty funny. From the article:

"When asked about his former charge Alberto Contador, Saiz bemoaned the brevity of his season. 'It’s not good to finish the season with just 48 days of competition,' he said. 'I’ll say one thing and I hope it doesn’t bother anyone, but Contador has learned the bad things from Armstrong as opposed to the good. Armstrong did some very good things, but Alberto has failed to grasp them and that’s not good for him or for cycling.'"

Question is, what "good things" that Armstrong did is he referring to?

Lance has done many fine things, fitness orientation, his organization, his inspirational motivation, high profile lifestyle, women it is all out there in the open. That is one reason Lance takes the heat from the haters. To out there. Contador has a more low key, humble and hiding personality. He does not come off as the team player that Lance is.

Quite the rogue's gallery

sherer said:
Sorry my Spanish is limited, what exactly does this translate as ?

I can only do the literal - and am not sure what the context of the various 'ONCE' references is. He appears to be playing with words, with the 2011 reference to ONCE (the year of the ONCE?).

Rafa, has said you will bring somewhat interesting 'cola' to the eleven (ONCE) from the ONCE (eleven) of 2011 (2000-ONCE)

HAPPY 2011, I am here at the request of my cyclists. In my return I promise to be faithful to those who have supported me

Or something like that. But, I too would appreciate a better translation.

Dave.

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Quite the rogue's gallery

I can only do the literal - and am not sure what the context of the various 'ONCE' references is. He appears to be playing with words, with the 2011 reference to ONCE (the year of the ONCE?).

Rafa, has said you will bring somewhat interesting 'cola' to the eleven (ONCE) from the ONCE (eleven) of 2011 (2000-ONCE)

HAPPY 2011, I am here at the request of my cyclists. In my return I promise to be faithful to those who have supported me

Dave.

He is basically saying he is not finished yet

Mar 19, 2010
Visit site
Race Radio said:
He is basically saying he is not finished yet

He must have a boat load of money to get back into the clique... I don't know, Vino managed to get back in and it doesn't seem to bother people.

In fairness to Manolo, I think he is an excellent director. I'd welcome him back. I think he is someone you could trust to be rigorous but fair; that in the 90's involved a lot of dope, but times have changes.

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Lessons from Floyd....

D-Queued said:

Dave.

"I promise to be faithful to those who have supported me"

And reading between the lines...

"but I can't make any promises to those who have NOT "supported" me.
So pay up Clentador or I will start singing the Puerto Blues capish?"

Venga Venga Humo.

"TRAERÁ COLA" is the phrase I'm sure some of you are having the most trouble with. A literal translation into English will not help, as this phrase is colloquial in nature.

I believe what he means is his comeback will have serious consequences. For whom he does not specify.

This is the way I understood what he said-given his background and the nature of the things he was involved with as manager of ONCE and Liberty Seguros, we can all look forward to more doping scandals and more bags of blood in doctor's offices all across Spain.

That's how ONCE dominated racing in their heyday, and that's the only way he'll do it today.

Nothing but arrogant bluster from an unrepentant and wholly corrupt ex-team manager who will engage in the same activities if let back into pro cycling.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Lajeretta4Ever said:
I don't know about the rest of you, but I got a headache reading the OP.
Is there a clinic code book i need to consult to decipher that post.

Daotec is an acquired taste. Your palette will adjust after a couple of weeks or so.;)

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Manolo Saiz says he got mixed up in Puerto inquiry by accident. :rolleyes:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/saiz-fuentes-is-a-great-psychologist
“When I got there I saw some strange things and went back to my car… But then I returned to the hotel. If in that moment I had followed my instincts and had not gone back there would have been no recordings and Manolo Saiz would have sailed through Operación Puerto without any kind of problem. I got myself wrapped up in it all,” he explained.

He [Saiz] says he went to a hotel cafeteria that day to speak with doctors Eufemiano Fuentes and José Luis Merino Batres to talk about the health and prospects of a blind girl.

Could it have been this blind girl?
blind-justice21.jpg

It's funny that Manolo says he'll be cleared of any wrongdoing. Many if not all the riders who were involved in the investigation misrepresented things by saying they were cleared of any wrongdoing, and while that was technically true, we should remember there were no antidoping laws at the time so the case is solely about crimes against public health. The riders weren't cleared of doping.

Manolo hasn't even been cleared, as far as I know. The case was reopened and supposedly there's going to be a trial. Anyway, the point is he could be cleared of the charges against him, and that wouldn't mean there was no teamwide doping program.

He [Saiz] says he went to a hotel cafeteria that day to speak with doctors Eufemiano Fuentes and José Luis Merino Batres to talk about the health and prospects of a blind girl.

Saiz: "Not just a blind girl, a poor orphan blind girl...with one leg...a lisp...irritable bowel syndrome...oh, and a cleft lip. Did I mention that she was an orphan? Yup, I'm practically a hero. If only Operacion Puerto would not have happened, that sad girl might be alive today."

BroDeal said:
Saiz: "Not just a blind girl, a poor orphan blind girl...with one leg...a lisp...irritable bowel syndrome...oh, and a cleft lip. Did I mention that she was an orphan? Yup, I'm practically a hero. If only Operacion Puerto would not have happened, that sad girl might be alive today."
To be fair, that blind girl is Fuentes's daughter, so it's not that random (although I didn't know she was actually blind, just that she had some sort of eye disorder). Fuentes asked Jaksche for help because Jörg's father is an ophthalmologist.

Of course, if according to Saiz he barely had any contact with Fuentes after 2005, you have to wonder why the hell Fuentes would want to talk to him about his daughter. I know gynecologists can double as hematologists these days, but I've never heard of DS's doubling as ophthalmologists before.

hrotha said:
To be fair, that blind girl is Fuentes's daughter, so it's not that random (although I didn't know she was actually blind, just that she had some sort of eye disorder). Fuentes asked Jaksche for help because Jörg's father is an ophthalmologist.

Of course, if according to Saiz he barely had any contact with Fuentes after 2005, you have to wonder why the hell Fuentes would want to talk to him about his daughter. I know gynecologists can double as hematologists these days, but I've never heard of DS's doubling as ophthalmologists before.

but I've never heard of DS's doubling as ophthalmologists before.

I love it:D:)

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
http://www.marca.com/2011/03/11/ciclismo/1299840637.html

Main quotes:

>>I'll be back

>>I'll make a strong team if I can find a big sponsor

>>All my mates will look elsewhere because what I know about all of them

About Puerto:
>>The veredict will be inocent.

>>If you ask me if I ever seen a cyclist dope, my answer is yes

>>When Puerto was done and I was involucrated, a lot of people put themselves medals in France, but that medals are treason medals

>>It was good for others if we dissappear because that would free Contador, Barredo, Rojas, Luis Leon, Davis...

>>I don't have any kind of relationship with Fuentes

>> I believe in Contador innocence

>>I don't like a lot of things Contador does now he wouldn't do if in ONCE

>>Contador is the main favourite to win the Tour, because there isn't a rival. People said to me about Schleck, but, where is the fight? One has a big resume, and the other only has a big bank account

May 25, 2010
Visit site
hrotha said:

To be more fair, Saiz has relationship with the ONCE http://www.once.es/new/

Haha. "Have I seen anyone dope? If you're asking me whether I've seen cyclists taking biological aids, I'd say yes". That about sums it up. He has no ethics. This kind of people don't ever think of what they do as cheating.

The best part:
People ask me, "How are your colleagues going to receive you?" I guarantee all of them will just look away, because they know I know a lot about them.