• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Marc Hirschi discussion thread

For various obvious reasons it's tempting to name the thread "Marc Hirschi is the new Cancellara", but I think that joke's pretty played out, and I don't want to stereotype him.
He does clearly deserve his own thread though. Only just 22 years old, has showed up with panache, instinct, style and power everywhere in the WT in the last two years. After his two impressive almost-stage wins at the 2020 Tour especially, I don't doubt he'll rack up wins in the coming years in many different sorts of races, so I'm getting on early on the Hirschi-support train.

Is he the new Cancellara? He sees himself as a puncheur and Classics racer, but there's probably always some pressure to ride for GC. I just hope he won't lose his aggression somewhere on the way.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He's been impressive from his very first races among the pros. I remember his 10th place in Harelbeke last year after being in the break for a long time.

Gotta say I don't see many similiraties with Fabu. Hirschi can climb much better than Cancellara and should be in the mix for all the hilly Classics in the coming years. Cancellara was obsiously a much better TTer.
I'm tempted to say Hirschi has a better sprint too, but Cancellara was very fast at the end of tough races so I don't know. Cancellara was also bigger and heavier, thus being more suited to cobble races, although Hirschi will probably do reasonably good in the Ronde and Harelbeke.

I'm confident Hirschi will improve his recovery and challenge some one week stage races in the future (like Itzulia, Pologne, even TA and PN on lighter routes). Can't see him being a GT rider at this point, but stranger things have happened.

Overall a very crafty rider, beautiful style on the bike and a great descender (always a plus). Definitely a rider I'll be rooting for.

He's been impressive from his very first races among the pros. I remember his 10th place in Harelbeke last year after being in the break for a long time.

Gotta say I don't see many similiraties with Fabu. Hirschi can climb much better than Cancellara and should be in the mix for all the hilly Classics in the coming years. Cancellara was obsiously a much better TTer.
I'm tempted to say Hirschi has a better sprint too, but Cancellara was very fast at the end of tough races so I don't know. Cancellara was also bigger and heavier, thus being more suited to cobble races, although Hirschi will probably do reasonably good in the Ronde and Harelbeke.

I'm confident Hirschi will improve his recovery and challenge some one week stage races in the future (like Itzulia, Pologne, even TA and PN on lighter routes). Can't see him being a GT rider at this point, but stranger things have happened.

Overall a very crafty rider, beautiful style on the bike and a great descender (always a plus). Definitely a rider I'll be rooting for.
Very much doubt Hirschi has a better sprint but it won't matter as Hirschi as a more hilly rider will face much worse sprinters than Cancellara did.

I don't know how Hirschi's ITT is, but his climbing today was already strong and if you can crank out solos like this it tells me he's a strong rouleur as well and a great rider for the medium mountains and hilly classics.

Hirschi should definitely be a good candidate to win races like Amstel Gold, San Seb where he was 3rd last year and stages in races like Catalunya and Basque Country.

Day by day recovery whilst having to stay up at the pointy end will determine if he can win stage races but an epic solo like that on day nine of the Tour is a promising indicator.

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Hope it not go to gc rider. If hirschi can get in break on 2-3 mountain stages he have a chance. Just hope hes allowed to try. Be good to see him rewarded after yesterdays effort

He could potentially win Strade, Amstel, San Sebastian, Ronde, MSR, Liège, and perhaps even Lombardia. Also Paris Nice and other 1 week stage races with a similar profile.

I think of the non-sprinters, there aren't many that are faster. He won't be too far off of Stuyven's speed imho. If i were to compare him, i'd say he's a refined Max Schachmann.

He and Pogačar have battled since their junior years. Hirschi often came out on top in the past if I'm not mistaken. So a big talent who is probably best suited to the hilly classics. He's had some great results last year for a neopro. Just hasn't been talked about as much as Evenepoel or Pogačar for obvious reasons (because both of them are having historically good starts of their careers).

What a guy, finally got his stage! I didn't think he had another effort like that in him so soon, but why not.

Man of the race so far for me, although that'll probably change with whoever wins of course.

I especially love his instinct, experience far beyond his years, every one of his attacks has been spot on perfect timing.

TRENDING THREADS