• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Marc Hirschi discussion thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
In Vive le Vélo, they asked Cancellara, his manager and mentor, if he could be a grand tour winner, because he climbs well.
Cancellara sighs, thinks... says he climbs well, isn't bad at sprinting, knows how to defend, has a decent timetrial, is only 59-60 kilo's and we'll see in the future, but right now he's potentially worlds/Ardennes/Liège and multi-day stagerace winner.

In De Avondetappe, Hirschi himself says he's much better at the shorter climbs, but is working to become better at the longer climbs. Maybe in the future he can go for GC's but he needs to start with the basics and see how he'll develop.

Also:

View: https://twitter.com/Puncheur_music/status/1304203355804368900

Last edited:
In Vive le Vélo, they asked Cancellara, his manager and mentor, if he could be a grand tour winner, because he climbs well.
Cancellara sighs, thinks... says he climbs well, isn't bad at sprinting, knows how to defend, has a decent timetrial, is only 59-60 kilo's and we'll see in the future, but right now he's potentially worlds/Ardennes/Liège and multi-day stagerace winner.

In De Avondetappe, Hirschi himself says he's much better at the shorter climbs, but is working to become better at the longer climbs. Maybe in the future he can go for GC's but he needs to start with the basics and see how he'll develop.
I welcome a young, promising rider cut out for the classics! GC riders for GTs get too much focus for my tastes, and besides, he’s been animating this stage race more than most of the GC guys anyway.

I don’t want him to be anything but what he’s shown so far. A powerful and stylish rider who knows how to ride a bike, attacks, and looks like a heck of a guy for the classics.

Last edited:
Haven't paid attention.

I will say that his descending does not make my heart skip beats like Contadors did
I swear Contador only descended well when he had to. He could flip a switch and go from Zakarin to Nibali depending on the situation.

But seriously Hirschi's style on the bike is so smooth. The way he moves it's like he's moulded to the bike, as if him and the bike were made in the same factory. Silky.

Let's not rush him into being a GT contender just yet. Yes, he has potential, but let him (and his team) find out about himself. At the moment he seems suited to hilly races, with short-ish climbs; one thinks Ardennes and maybe one week stage races.

Oh, and he looks so good on the bike - compact, aero and a great descender.

I swear Contador only descended well when he had to. He could flip a switch and go from Zakarin to Nibali depending on the situation.

But seriously Hirschi's style on the bike is so smooth. The way he moves it's like he's moulded to the bike, as if him and the bike were made in the same factory. Silky.
The difference between Contador at his worst descending level and Zakarin is that Zakarin just cannot descent whether he goes fast or slowly. Contador went over his limits the times he showed weakness on descents. You also wouldn't classify Evenepoel as a Zakarin-level descender because he crashed in Il Lombardia, would you?

There was a video a couple of days back, on how Sunweb uses some special fabric, or something like that. For jersey. Basically to prevent tearing, normally to start to occur crashing at 5 km/h, bumping it to 40 km/h, if i remember the numbers correctly.

Looks like Hirschi benefited wearing such jersey today. Considering the speed he crashed at and how he after has slide on the asphalt. Most of the jersey held up, the upper leg area, and prevented severe road rash.

TRENDING THREADS