• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Marcel Six

His excuse on this occasion was that he had family commitments and wasn't due to race; he was forced to race by his DS and wanted to get straight back to his family afterwards. (because it takes so long to pee into a cup. I recall it taking me ooh, at least 2 minutes to complete urine tests.)

He does have rumoured "previous", however, such as *allegedly* doing a runner before a race start when drug testers turned up...

How long does a dope control take? 30 mins or less in my experience.

If we want a clean sport we all have a responsibility to see these as a welcome addition to cycling rather than an inconvenience. I'd bet that the podium ceremony and post race TV interviews would have taken longer.

Wasn't he a training partner of the infamous Dan Staite? If anyone should know the importance of testing to keep the sport clean he should. I bet he's kicking himself now that he had the opportunity to prove he's racing clean and blew it.

Cant help but think that there may be more to this story.

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I think this ban is justified.

Why? A race has no fixed finish time, if the overall average speed would have been lower, he would have been in later anyway. As good lies usually contain parts of truth, I would suspect that he was indeed forced to race at the last minute, therefore could not anticipate the doping test in his schedule, fearing he would test positive if he took the test. This is mere speculation, of course, but the other reason, I don't have time to take tests (which takes, what, about 20 minutes if you're not quick in peeing in front of others?) is just bs.

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
WillemS said:
I think this ban is justified.

Why? A race has no fixed finish time, if the overall average speed would have been lower, he would have been in later anyway. As good lies usually contain parts of truth, I would suspect that he was indeed forced to race at the last minute, therefore could not anticipate the doping test in his schedule, fearing he would test positive if he took the test. This is mere speculation, of course, but the other reason, I don't have time to take tests (which takes, what, about 20 minutes if you're not quick in peeing in front of others?) is just bs.

It's an hour long crit.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
Roland Rat said:
His excuse on this occasion was that he had family commitments and wasn't due to race; he was forced to race by his DS and wanted to get straight back to his family afterwards. (because it takes so long to pee into a cup. I recall it taking me ooh, at least 2 minutes to complete urine tests.)

He does have rumoured "previous", however, such as *allegedly* doing a runner before a race start when drug testers turned up...

Purely on the bolded part: I know several people who've sat in dope control for up to two hours after a race, especially crits & TTs when it's hot.

will10 said:
Purely on the bolded part: I know several people who've sat in dope control for up to two hours after a race, especially crits & TTs when it's hot.

Jeremey Power said something last week on twitter about his team mate still wiating in dope control about 2h after.

Depends how dehydrated they are. But refusing is just adding suspicion.

fat_boy_fat said:
Would have been a shame if he has just been trapped between two obligations and as a result ruined his career …

Those two obligations being getting caught or confessing.

He must have been super hot. He wasn't supposed to race - doped up - forced to race by DS - nabbed.

Game over

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I know cyclists are not renowned for their brains but seriously, thats a refusal to do a test, not an absence because of a crash or going home because of the kids and then being looked for, he outright refused and walked away. No reduction on the ban should have been given in those circumstances.

TRENDING THREADS