• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

March 19: Milan - San Remo 2011 298km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
cycladianpirate said:
Was going to put a bet on Hushovd but the consensus among the sages here seems to be that he's likely to be used to deliver Haussler/Farrar. Oh well, back to the drawing board.
Can't imagine that he will just wait in the peloton and deliver Haussler or Farrar. I'm sure he has plans to try something for himself as well. I think his biggest opportunity is to follow attacks up and down Poggio, and if it doesn't come to something, he can work for Haussler/Farrar.

Apr 30, 2010
www.vi.be
The Garmin-plan can make it hard to predict which guy will be their lead-out man... I think that the directors themselves would like it most if Thor wins... But on pure power, it's Farrar who tops both Heinrich and Thor.
But since I'm no fan of putting it all on one rider, I'll just name three: Farrar, Matthews, Hutarovich!

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
maltiv said:
I would like to say Hushovd but I fear that he cannot beat his own teammate, Heinrich Haussler, who is both stronger in the hills and faster in the sprint. Can't really see anyone beating Haussler really.

I agree. He has to be odds on favorite this year. Was he ok after that crash he had a week or so ago though? I don't remember reading follow up reports on how bad it was? If he's 100% I reckon he will be very determined to get to the line first this year after missing out to Cav by a wheel last time.

I would almost put a bet on Matthews for a place as well, I think this will be a race that suits him in years to come.

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
Night Rider said:
I agree. He has to be odds on favorite this year. Was he ok after that crash he had a week or so ago though? I don't remember reading follow up reports on how bad it was? If he's 100% I reckon he will be very determined to get to the line first this year after missing out to Cav by a wheel last time.

I would almost put a bet on Matthews for a place as well, I think this will be a race that suits him in years to come.

Don't think it's one for Matthews yet. Needs a couple of seasons in his legs first. But he WILL win one year.

orangetea said:
The Garmin-plan can make it hard to predict which guy will be their lead-out man... I think that the directors themselves would like it most if Thor wins... But on pure power, it's Farrar who tops both Heinrich and Thor.
Yes, but I'm not sure if Farrar is still the fastest after 290 km. He might not even be there at the end.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Buffalo Soldier said:
Hushovd "Poggio will clarify everything".
I think the team will decide who will lead out & who will sprint during the race.

No, who's got the legs on the day will decide. It won't be a team decision, a plan carved in stone. It'll be decided then and there. If Hushovd's got the legs he'll go for it.

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
With only one eye, I'm picking an Aussie trifecta. I think I'd box Goss, Hausller, Davis, Matthews & McEwen although Goss & Hausller are my two preferred. Renshaw is also a possibility.

I'm surprised Sky haven't put Sutto in given his early season form and the fact they have a team with no one that can win. I'd love to know who picks their team.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Timmy-loves-Rabo said:
Providing gilbert doesn't get away :)D), Haussler to win.

If he gets the right people to follow him I think they can get away this year.

But that group would have to contain the likes of Pippo the wheelsucker, The Canc, the world champion on the road, Il Squalo, Mario Cippolini, Luca Paolini, etc

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
dse1969 said:
With only one eye, I'm picking an Aussie trifecta. I think I'd box Goss, Hausller, Davis, Matthews & McEwen although Goss & Hausller are my two preferred. Renshaw is also a possibility.

I'm surprised Sky haven't put Sutto in given his early season form and the fact they have a team with no one that can win. I'd love to know who picks their team. Maybe their taking advice from the English cricket team? or football team or infact, any English team - have the poms ever won anything?

the recent ashes series springs to mind ;)

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
dse1969 said:

I'm surprised Sky haven't put Sutto in given his early season form and the fact they have a team with no one that can win. I'd love to know who picks their team.
I thought sutton should be in there too.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
dse1969 said:

Nice to see you've wound your neck in!

And just what was the result of the last Ashes? Oh yes, an Australian defeat at home at the hands of the English!!!!

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
If he gets the right people to follow him I think they can get away this year.

But that group would have to contain the likes of Pippo the wheelsucker, The Canc, the world champion on the road, Il Squalo, Mario Cippolini, Luca Paolini, etc

LOL? what was that?

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
maltiv said:
I would like to say Hushovd but I fear that he cannot beat his own teammate, Heinrich Haussler, who is both stronger in the hills and faster in the sprint. Can't really see anyone beating Haussler really.

I think BMC will be strong, but they will waste it and Garmin will be stronger when it counts.

Farrar for the win!

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
kukiniloa said:
I think BMC will be strong, but they will waste it and Garmin will be stronger when it counts.

Farrar for the win!

I think BMC's best option for MSR will be with Ballan

As for Garmin, like most people have said, Farrar probably won't be as strong after the race. So Haussler or Hushovd will be their best bet for the win.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
kukiniloa said:

Farrar for the win!

Meh, Ballan to attack on the poggio with Greg. Try to pust the pace so a select group stays away and clean up in the sprint. Or Greg hangs back and saves himself for the sprint if group doesn't go away. A sprint after 300km is always very difficult and is not based on pure speed.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
dse1969 said:

I agree, They have a small chance with Boasson Hagen but thats about it.I would of had Sutton and Swift in there and G Thomas for some horsepower at the end to give them more options.

Oct 18, 2009
Visit site
sublimit said:
I agree, They have a small chance with Boasson Hagen but thats about it.I would of had Sutton and Swift in there and G Thomas for some horsepower at the end to give them more options.
They have G Thomas in there. I've noticed that Garmin have left Julian Dean off their roster - it's always a shame when quality riders get overlooked in a team which has so many stars. But i'm not saying JV is wrong to deselect him - you wouldnt want him sacrificing his teams chances for personal glory (which is what hushovd and huassler will probably do!)

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes, seems like GT is in for Michael Barry. A shame for Julian Dean getting left out, probably more chance of him riding the GT'S later on though I reckon.