• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 157 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No problem with Cav fans, but claiming he could have contested stage 4 is fanboy phantasy land, likewise maybe Cav in his pomp might have been there on stage 15, but based on what we have seen this year that would have been very unlikely.

Maybe instead of whining, you might actually try and refute some of the points I made. It is a discussion forum after all.
You might actually make your points without calling people fan boys, calling them idiotic, telling them that they are whining, and lecturing them with your cycling knowledge then we might actually discuss the points you made (even though we have already discussed those points).

Specialized teams: Team Patti is out, Bora, Total Energies. Can he ride with PS? I don't see it. Not with Bennett either. Of those two though I would say PS. Unless there is another round of bike swapping, he can't stay on Specialized and guarantee going to the TdF. Come on JV bring him to EF!

You might actually make your points without calling people fan boys, calling them idiotic, telling them that they are whining, and lecturing them with your cycling knowledge then we might actually discuss the points you made (even though we have already discussed those points).
I was going to say something but decided not too since we won’t see eye to eye with them.

Specialized teams: Team Patti is out, Bora, Total Energies. Can he ride with PS? I don't see it. Not with Bennett either. Of those two though I would say PS. Unless there is another round of bike swapping, he can't stay on Specialized and guarantee going to the TdF. Come on JV bring him to EF!
Wasn’t there a rider, maybe Sagan that could ride his bike sponsor while the team had a different one? I think he and Sagan can get along and coexist. They were always friendly in the past. If Cav can ride with Farrar and Petacchi as his leadout and support then Sagan should be fine. Any team that doesn’t have a serious GC rider or sprinter should be considered. I would just want him to beat Quicksteps sprinter to get 35.

Reactions: jmdirt
Cav was visiting the latest Move podcast, 'twas good to listen. Really enjoyed his long interviews on Eurosport and this one. I kinda underestimated him all these years as a person and as a serious athlete, just pictured him sorta super super talented crazy mf. Seeing now he's a serious analytic athlete, I don't see him crybaby like he's sometimes called for.

Why would anyone would say Mark Cavendish is a crybaby?! Mark Cavendish is, without doubt, one of the most talented riders of the last 60 years and possibly the greatest sprinter of all time! I am shocked to find that anyone is surprised that he reacts when he sees something that is not right. Clearly, there are a lot of people who do not follow cycling in depth, but simply start casting silly names about without knowing even the basics of the riders they criticise ( I am not suggesting that is you memyselfandI)

Cavendish’s next race is Okolo Slovenska and as the only WT and I think even Sprinter it would be a bad look for his potential team hunt if he doesn’t win every stage he contests. And in a cruel twist of irony, racing to win in sh** small races that he used against Greipel when they both rode together in HTC.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmdirt
Cavendish’s next race is Okolo Slovenska and as the only WT and I think even Sprinter it would be a bad look for his potential team hunt if he doesn’t win every stage he contests. And in a cruel twist of irony, racing to win in sh** small races that he used against Greipel when they both rode together in HCT.

Lefevere trying to top the table of most wins again this season

Reactions: jmdirt and SHAD0W93
Cavendish’s next race is Okolo Slovenska and as the only WT and I think even Sprinter it would be a bad look for his potential team hunt if he doesn’t win every stage he contests. And in a cruel twist of irony, racing to win in sh** small races that he used against Greipel when they both rode together in HTC.

He didn't start. Will we see him in a QS jersey again I wonder or was he just ill?

• Wow
Reactions: SHAD0W93
I have my doubts whether he will find a contract for 2023.
Why is this? Is he asking for too much money? Is he only interested in bigger teams? Do teams not trust that he can deliver?

My simplistic view is that a smaller team that wants a TDF invite would love to get him. I can't imagine the TDF not invitinig him, allowing him the chance at the record. Would make compelling TV I would think.

Why is this? Is he asking for too much money? Is he only interested in bigger teams? Do teams not trust that he can deliver?

My simplistic view is that a smaller team that wants a TDF invite would love to get him. I can't imagine the TDF not invitinig him, allowing him the chance at the record. Would make compelling TV I would think.
According to one article he was asking for quite a bit if money but who knows if that is true or not. I think he is also sponsored by specialized still so would need a team that already rides that or would be fine with him staying on specialized. Plus his Oakley sponsor. But I’d think any team that didn’t have a sprinter (Groenewegen, Jakobsen, Merlier, Philipsen, Bennett, Demare, Ewan, De Lie) or top GC rider would want him. I wouldn’t think he’d have trouble since this isn’t like his season with Bahrain. He’s been successful and showed in the beginning he can still beat the best. Plus I’d rate him highly in the first week of a Grand Tour to win, I don’t know if he has the endurance and stamina anymore for the second and third week against the best.

Next year Pineau‘s B&B team, for Cavendish?

Had a good laugh recently when I heard Cav was called „Crotch Dynamo“ in January of 2007, when being with T-Mobile (lead sprinter together with Eric Baumann)… Maybe because T-Mobile was a basically German team, and German rapper „Unterleibdynamo“ was quite well-known at this time… Good old times… :)

He's got to sign with a French team, I think, even one that will get a TdF wildcard. I'd love to see him on TE with Sagan.

Every french teams get a Tour wildcard. He's obviously going to B&B.
Well Arkea could obviously also swoop in now that Quintana is gone. They really need something cause their 2023 selection is pretty bad for a WT team. I'd expect them to try to poach some riders from Israel or Lotto. Maybe Ewan. They have the money and space for a train too.

Every french teams get a Tour wildcard. He's obviously going to B&B.
Well Arkea could obviously also swoop in now that Quintana is gone. They really need something cause their 2023 selection is pretty bad for a WT team. I'd expect them to try to poach some riders from Israel or Lotto. Maybe Ewan. They have the money and space for a train too.

Cavendish to Arkea makes a lot of sense. Their points strategy of attacking like a village won't be as successful at WT level, and maybe less so at lower levels with the squad being stretched to accommodate the additional schedule. Cav and a couple of doms would likely get them some nice WT results, and the publicity around the Tour would be huge.

Not Ewan though. Far too unreliable these days? As you suggested (I think?) in another thread, Corbyn Strong from Israel would seem ideal to fill another gap in their team's skillset.

TRENDING THREADS