• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 46 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
El Pistolero said:
Of course. :D

But he'll get his *** kicked more and more in the next years anyway, finally some talented sprinters coming up.

I know you hate Cav but try and be realistic here :rolleyes:

It would take a very brave man to predict that with a team built around him again he wont be winning 4/5 stages per Tour for at least the next 3 seasons. Unless of course the organisers make 20 MTF's :D

Maybe in 4 years time when he focuses on the track for Rio he wont be doing any GT's so the sprinters coming through can have some stage wins.

Pricey_sky said:

It would take a very brave man to predict that with a team built around him again he wont be winning 4/5 stages per Tour for at least the next 3 seasons. Unless of course the organisers make 20 MTF's :D

Maybe in 4 years time when he focuses on the track for Rio he wont be doing any GT's so the sprinters coming through can have some stage wins.

I guess he might could do the Vuelta that year to prep for Quatar worlds which is flat. Vuelta being a better option than TOB on account of Spain actually having a summer.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Pricey_sky said:

I am realistic. The year he broke through most sprinters were out of shape, retired or gone. It's the reason why he dominated so much. Really what kind of competition did he have in 2008/2009?

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
I am realistic. The year he broke through most sprinters were out of shape, retired or gone. It's the reason why he dominated so much. Really what kind of competition did he have in 2008/2009?

What about 2010-12? Maybe he got lucky then too?

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
What about 2010-12? Maybe he got lucky then too?

Degenkolb and Kittel became pro in 2011. They're developing into world class sprinters.

Sagan became pro in 2010 and is also capable of winning flat bunch sprints. He's still young, so the sky is the limit for him. And Greipel was Cav's team-mate until 2011. Since then he won 4 Tour stages. Matt Goss was his team-mate until this year. He also has a lot of potential as a sprinter, but I think he needs to train harder.

Cav's the fastest no doubt, but he broke through in a year where many sprinters went MIA or were part of his own team.

Look at stage 18, with no lead out he easily beat the field. If he can do that when he was at his olympic weight then the rest still have a lot of ground to make up if they are going to regularly beat Cavendish when he has a train and his correct weight.

El Pistolero said:
Boonen and Cancellara weight more than Cav, why would he need to drop his weight lol? For that puny hill called Box Hill?

I agree the weight loss made no diference at the olympics, but my point is that he was beating people this year in sprints and he has obvious scope to improve himself. IMO if he gets his old power back the others have a big gap to close.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Ciolek to MTN, likely no Eisel (who lacks the speed for leadout work).

Cav will likely ride the Tour and Vuelta (due to Giro parcours) where Boonen could lead him out, assisted by an assortment from Steegmans, Fenn, Stybar and Brambilla. Martin, P. Velits (if he stays), Terpstra, Trentin and Vandewalle can be useful in the later kms.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
QS doesn't have the riders for a good lead-out train. Terpstra is not interested in riding the Tour anymore. Trentin and Fenn are too young and probably won't even make it in the Tour team.

QS needs to buy a rider à la Stefano Zanini if they want a good lead-out man for Cavendish.

asdfgh101 said:
Ciolek to MTN, likely no Eisel (who lacks the speed for leadout work).

Cav will likely ride the Tour and Vuelta (due to Giro parcours) where Boonen could lead him out, assisted by an assortment from Steegmans, Fenn, Stybar and Brambilla. Martin, P. Velits (if he stays), Terpstra, Trentin and Vandewalle can be useful in the later kms.

Didn't cav say something like he's 100% doing the giro, yesterday?

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Tom Boonen, Matt Brammeier, Sylvain Chavanel, Francesco Chicchi, Tony Martin, Gert Steegmans, Zdenek Stybar, and peter Velits I think would be a pretty good lead-out train. Not necessarily in the order I listed also.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Afrank said:
Tom Boonen, Matt Brammeier, Sylvain Chavanel, Francesco Chicchi, Tony Martin, Gert Steegmans, Zdenek Stybar, and peter Velits I think would be a pretty good lead-out train. Not necessarily in the order I listed also.

Yes i forgot to mention Chavanel; of the others you mention Chicchi is going to Farnese and Brammeier isn't confirmed for next year. Another lead-out man wouldn't be amiss.

Regarding the Giro i have no doubt that it was part of Cav's plans and it fits nicely into his schedule but the route is not in his favour. It isn't just the lack of sprint finishes but also the up and down stages which will be a real struggle if he's not at the peak of his climbing ability.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Cav's new leadout train at Omega Pharma Quick Step...

Umm, the best train he'll get is likely a good boot in the *** from Boonen 200 metres out...

I like OPQS as they are, they don't need his drama.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
asdfgh101 said:
Yes i forgot to mention Chavanel; of the others you mention Chicchi is going to Farnese and Brammeier isn't confirmed for next year. Another lead-out man wouldn't be amiss.

That's right, forgot about Chicchi going to Farnesse, replace him with either Vandewalle or Grabsch then, sense they can both produce a good TT. what OPQS needs to do is try to sign a good lead-out man, would be great if they could get Renshaw since his sprinter career hasn't been panning out like planned.

Mongolian Torque said:
Umm, the best train he'll get is likely a good boot in the *** from Boonen 200 metres out...

I like OPQS as they are, they don't need his drama.

Cav will give them more than just drama, he will give them a lot of GT stage wins plus a lot of other sprint stages. The GT's is the place where they didn't perform this year, they only got one stage win with Cataldo.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Rabobank may still want Renshaw to lead out Bos.

Regarding the Giro, after reading Cav's comments and taking a better look at the route maybe there are more opportunities for him than i thought (profiles seem to be slightly exagerrated so i looked at the elevation and distance points). Of course OPQS would love Cav to bolster what would otherwise be a Giro squad lacking in aspirations.

El Pistolero said:
Being taller doesn't make you a better climber.

:rolleyes:

As good a time as any to make use of this pic i found on facebook by accident.

Pistrollerosuccesful2.png