• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Richeypen said:
Which could only mean Froome. Both Cav and Froome are under big contracts. Big £££££ coming to Sky in compensation and saved wages if true!

Froome is an idiot if he were to leave sky considering that in order to force all those shackles on him, wigins had to make promises, in person and in the media - articles, tv interviews, that he would work for Froome next year.

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Richeypen said:
Which could only mean Froome. Both Cav and Froome are under big contracts. Big £££££ coming to Sky in compensation and saved wages if true!

More to it than that.

Cavs on about E2.4m salary I understand, whereas Boonen is on near E4m, Sky are one of the best financed teams but other teams do pay their stars more. At OPQS Cav could earn more, other teams too.

Cav and Bernie should go to a sprint focussed team, he's too good to be a bit part player. Plus Dave B has said as much and I don't think Sky will be litigious if Cav wants to go, he's done his bit and Sky are going for GCs now. If Cav wants to go I think Sky will let him, regardless of contract.

Froome won't go though I don't think, he is the heir apparant to the best team in the peloton and is earnign mega-money, why would he?

Richeypen said:
EBH would have to be mad to go now. Without Cav in the team he basically has a free role!

OmegaPharmaQuickstepHighroad is the name that most people have been mentioning.

I'm just waiting for a team to be sponsored by 5 sponsor's who all had their own team in the last few years. Maybe OmegaPharmaQuickstephighroadArgosShimanoBelisol :D

If cav goes then Eisel will go with him. Froome will stay next year at least. EBH will stay and be the lone Tour sprinter and also have free reign to go for the big breaks

The Hitch said:
Someone having the best kick after 9600 usually just means that they are the best 10 000 metre runner on the day since they have been tired out the least.

Its not like cycling where people hide behind wheels and can recoup a little energy on a flat runin to the finish. Slipstream is almost non existent. Look at how Rudisha took the front yesterday. In cycling that would be suicide, like Cancellara at msr. But in running he just flew away from them, because even at 26km/h, as they were running any slipstream they got behind him was negligable. 10k is more 20-21km/h so slipstream is even less. The guy who kicks hardest is the guy freshest at that point. Its not a sprint but simply maxing out what energy levels remain.

Its likfe if Cancellara and J Rod arrived together at the top of the Crostis and had a 8k pursuit race on the flat. Cancellara may have the better 8k pursuit, but he would be so knackered and J Rod would be fresh
The guy who came 4th for example, who you thought -pff what a crap kick he has, used to before his injury problems for example do stuff like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRCB-wrPIUY&t=3m35s

So what you're saying is that if Mo Farah trained for the 100 metres he wouldn't stand a chance?

May 27, 2010
Visit site
RownhamHill said:
So what you're saying is that if Mo Farah trained for the 100 metres he wouldn't stand a chance?

Generally speaking you have to be born with the fast twitch muscles, or at least be working with them from a young age, to be a sprinter. That's the case in cycling anyway, you can work at it but you'll never have the natural top end speed, Stuart O'Grady is a perfect example, fast in his hey day but not naturally so.

But it's hard to say for athletics as I know almost nothing about it but my assumption would be that it is similar to cycling in that regard.

El Pistolero said:
It's actually harder to be in the pack during a long distance number because of all the pushing.

I don't think anyone is saying one is harder than the other.

If he wants to change into a rider that could potentially win Roubaix, he better stop losing weight...

Haven't seen one thing from Mark that should suggest that it would be anything close to a realistic goal to aim at.

He hasn't made a hint of that either, has he.

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Froome is an idiot if he were to leave sky considering that in order to force all those shackles on him, wigins had to make promises, in person and in the media - articles, tv interviews, that he would work for Froome next year.

Did Wiggins said next year, or sometime in the future?

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
Moviefan1203 said:
No one will blame him for that. He's one of the greatest sprinters the world has ever seen, he deserves his own team.

+
Imagine.. when did the last time a world champion fetching bottle and be given one rider to pull him at TDF? Only in sky :D. Sure he can win, but a dedicated team will make him a legend. :D

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
personal said:
Did Wiggins said next year, or sometime in the future?

he just said "in the future". So that means.. who knows? Definitely not next year. Wiggin is the defending champion. I don't think Sky care whether or not the route is mountainous.

Cav will have win less and hit the deck more often since no one will protect him.

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
am i reading this wrong? it seems to me that cavendish's whole beef is with his lack of support in the tour. that doesn't seem to be a good reason to leave the strongest team in the protour and lose that support in all of the other races. which may not offer the prestige of the tour, but have more points, and value to a team, than a tour stage.

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Cav should almost never have been at Sky since it's a real shame HTC-Highroad wasn't able to find a sponsor and continue. He needs a team like that again, built around. When Sky have done that this year, and MSR and the Giro spring most immediately to mind, they haven't looked half as good as HTC used to, and that's with a full team pulling for him.

And while he clearly enjoyed being part of that yellow-jersey winning team, 3 stages is his worst return at the Tour. You go for yellow or you go for green, unless you have an excepitional puncheur like Sagan. Personally I like the green jersey competition as much as the yellow, so it will be brilliant to see Cav riding for someone else and challenging for the points. Sagan against Cav is mouth-watering stuff

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
This gives a slightly fuller explanation of his position and reading between the lines it sounds as if Brailsford promised a lot but went back on that promise as soon as Brad started winning at the start of the year. Cav was certainly the backup plan in case Brad stuffed up like last year.

"Dave [Brailsford, team principal at Sky and performance director of British Cycling] sold me the idea last year but for some reason it hasn't worked out like that. It’s difficult to do.

"Winning the yellow jersey is the biggest thing in cycling, for me not to want a team and a company I love not to go and do the biggest thing would be wrong.

"But obviously it restricts me and what I can do as a professional cyclist myself. I have got this ambition of winning as many stages in the Tour de France as I can and I want to be somewhere I can do that. We had ambitions that can't work out.

"If they want to go and do it [win the overall in the Tour de France] again, why not? The yellow jersey is the biggest prize in sport, but Dave's stated ambitions are not really involving sprinters or a green jersey or stage wins so that puts me in a position where I am lost.

http://road.cc/content/news/65967-m...-intention-leave-sky-and-hopes-amicable-split

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Cav staying at sky would be bad for all parties involved. Sky is becoming a GT team, not a sprinting team (although they still have swift et al). OPQS could gain quite a bit, Boonen + Cav would be a formidable combination.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
As if they would ever ride together besides a few races like M-SR and G-W.

And Boonen will never work for Cavendish at Milan-San Remo. Perhaps at G-W, but Boonen is a record holder there...

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
gregod said:
am i reading this wrong? it seems to me that cavendish's whole beef is with his lack of support in the tour. that doesn't seem to be a good reason to leave the strongest team in the protour and lose that support in all of the other races. which may not offer the prestige of the tour, but have more points, and value to a team, than a tour stage.

For a sprinter like Cav winning green in the tour and winning stages is the main goal. And as long as Sky has guys like Wiggins, Froome, Henao, etc. cav will never have a team built to help him achieve this. And as long as Sky has as many leaders as they currently have Cav will not have a team built around him in the other stage races like the Giro or Vuelta or the week long stage races. The only races where he could have a team built entirely around him are the single day races.

TRENDING THREADS