• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 57 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2009
Visit site
El Pistolero said:
Of course. :D

But he'll get his *** kicked more and more in the next years anyway, finally some talented sprinters coming up.

Well, El Pistolero showed his expertise over most of us. His appraisal of Kittel Degenkolb was spot-on.

Also, Cav still hasn't clearly overtaken Cipollini with his eyewatering 57 GT stage wins. For that matter, though I rank him higher than Alejet, he's behind him in GT stages as well.

That's sprinting!

Kender said:
I'm a cav fan but what he did was reckless and stupid. If he hadn't abandoned he should have been kicked off the tour anyway

It's horses for courses in sprint finishes. What happened with Cavendish unfortunately is a normal risk/consequence of sprinting. One could argue that Cavs move was reckless but I think if one analyses what actually goes on in the very thick of beating hearts in those last few frantic seconds in any sprint finish a move like Cavs could be accepted as part and parcel of the sport.. Indeed the misfortune falls both ways: Roberto Ferrari took Cavendish out in the Giro a few years ago. The fact is they all fight for position. Sometimes in the heat of the moment, blinded by the sheer intensity of the task at hand, they fight for positions they think are there to be reached or in this case created. One has to remember that what a sprinter sees in the heat of the moment through his goggles is very different from what we see after the event! Watch some of those rider angle videos taken in the Tour De Suisse last month! I am no sprinter myself but having admired this daring art for years on the telly or from the roadside I believe as they all approach the finishing line some milliseconds before the moment they are unleashed or not by a proceeding train of riders, each sprinter moves into his own entirely different micro-second timezone where all that adrenalin, aggression and fear, hovering on the edge of rational decision, are pocketed into an explosive bundle of power itching to be unleashed! A decision to move one way or the other becomes a micro second 50/50 choice within the few whole seconds remaining to possible victory. There is no time for dilemma! The bolder ones more often than not seek out positions that may or may not be there but it is only after the affair that the realistic consequences of those decisions become apparent. I know there are certain rules of conduct in a sprint finish but they must be very difficult to enforce considering the riders psyche in the heat of that moment. I think one has to accept, as in other contact sports, accidents are bound to happen! In that Tour De Suisse riders angle video I was astonished to see just how close they ride together. Its amazing how bold they all become hustling and bustling at such vicious speeds! It's certainly no practice for the feint-hearted! They all know the risks and they all know they have no choice but to accept the crashes and injuries when they occur. Nobody wants to see a crash but we all have to admit that it is the sheer daring of the sprinters to dodge the hovering possibility of one that forms part of the excitement for the spectators at the finishing line.

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
The other side of Mark Cavendish we don't normally hear about:-

@lee_gosden: Gobsmacked is all I can say, a certain @MarkCavendish has just made my daughters day, and of course mine! What a star man! Get better soon

@lee_gosden: Ava said before she went to sleep, did that happen daddy? So I said, yes, I will remind you in the morning! ;0) http://t.co/iBBee8tmPh

@lee_gosden: @jamjarken @cvndsh my daughter Ava saw Mark fall on the TV during the sprint, we all cringed and Ava was upset, she sent Mark a card

@lee_gosden: @jamjarken @cvndsh Mark called to say thank you, I now can't sleep! Too excited, I have a feeling the school will be buzzing tomorrow :0)

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I have been trying to work out if Cavendish could reach one of the records now that another TdF is thrown away? As he is 29, does he have enough time to be the all time great (always assuming he can still beat Kittel......).

InterestedSpectator said:
I have been trying to work out if Cavendish could reach one of the records now that another TdF is thrown away? As he is 29, does he have enough time to be the all time great (always assuming he can still beat Kittel......).

Petacchi won his green jersey with 36. So yes, it is possible for Mark. But who knows ...

May 19, 2011
Visit site
del1962 said:
Makes sense if he wants to ride the track in Rio, don't think QS would be happy with him on the track

the OPQS media conference is tomorrow, some insiders said an announcement is expected. Does Mark's contract expire at the end of this year?

May 19, 2011
Visit site
Bernie's eyesore said:
If this is true then it must be end for Froome and Porte, I find it hard to imagine Cav going there otherwise.

some Id mentioned track racing in 2016, and maybe Kittle is too strong to be beaten in the road race.

TRENDING THREADS