• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 61 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

movingtarget said:
Robbie McEwen made the comment that Cavendish looks to have lost too much weight and does not have his regular power in the sprints. Of course it does not help when he loses Renshaw's wheel. Two mistakes have cost him so probably have to see him do a good sprint before writing him off but it's not a Tour for sprinters and his chances are limited.

This would actually make sense. He has been climbing okay this year.

I was really looking forward to the Tour and watching Cav compete and with no Kittel I was positive he would be up there with no issues for the Green.

After watching him in the Nationals, I was suprised how well he was climbing albeit not a massive climb, but he did look leaner.

I hope he does take a stage though.

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Sad that he only got 1 stage this year. I don't buy the crap that people saying that he washed up, done etc- he still has plenty of victories this year + a stage in the tour- this year has not been dazzling by his high standards but is still decent. On a different route he might have one another stage or two. Hopefully he can get a new contract with etixx- going to MTN would bea mistake as they will not be able to give him anywhere near the type of sprint train he gets with etixx. He will have to take a sizeable pay cut, but I think he will stay with them (hopefully). Maybe he goes to the vuelta to try and get some more wins!?

EDIT- Maybe he should do both the giro (not necessairly finish it but go to the first week and half) as well as the tour next year.

Jul 27, 2014
Visit site
Re:

Hayabusa said:
He just needs to reinvent himself as a rider a la Hushovd in his later years when he lost his top kick. I certainly do not think we have seen the last of Cavendish.
He needs to actually do some proper training, he needs strength now. And his positioning has been woeful this tour. I want him to beat the merckx record but I doubt it

In 5 years time he will be Caleb Ewan's lead out man I reckon.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Cavendish & Wiggins both rely heavily on their team mates helping them in races......in the Olympic Road race in 2012 neither of them excelled but Cavendish had the nerve to say "No one helped me" what did he expect in an "individual" race??

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Aboottarren said:
Cavendish & Wiggins both rely heavily on their team mates helping them in races......in the Olympic Road race in 2012 neither of them excelled but Cavendish had the nerve to say "No one helped me" what did he expect in an "individual" race??
He meant that none of the other nationalities with sprinters helped during back the break. They were all content to let GB with only 4 other riders pull back the entire break, even though other nationalities like Germany had a very good sprinter.

TRENDING THREADS