• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 98 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

MatParker117 said:
Withdrew from Paris Nice today, have to wonder if Retirement is on the cards. Shame if it ends this way if so.

Looked fit and hungry after hopefully getting rid of his virus. He seemed to be up there yesterday for a while then got spat. Wonder what happened today. Is he super cautious about pushing so hard so early on and getting ill again?

He has also been sick and injured the last 12 months. He stated at the beginning of the year he was going to take it easy in the beginning because he is worried about pushing himself to hard and getting sick again. His only goal he has said is the Tour so if he goes like this and gets better and wins multiple stages, I will call that a success.

BAK Lars Ytting
BOASSON HAGEN Edvald
CAVENDISH Mark
CUMMINGS Steve
DAVIES Scott
DE BOD Stefan
DLAMINI Nic
EISEL Bernhard
GASPAROTTO Enrico
GHEBREIGZABHIER Amanuel
GIBBONS Ryan
JANSE VAN RENSBURG Jacques
JANSE VAN RENSBURG Reinardt
KING Ben
KREUZIGER Roman
MÄDER Gino
MEINTJES Louis
NIZZOLO Giacomo
O'CONNOR Ben
RENSHAW Mark
SLAGTER Tom-Jelte
THOMSON Jay Robert
TILLER Rasmus
VALGREN Michael
VENTER Jaco
VERMOTE Julien
WYSS Danilo

Out of those names who would you want your eighth rider to be? It's his first races in 6 months from being sick and injured. Not everyone is Valverde and who knows how long he was sick for and making it worse by riding on it. It wouldn't be a surprise if he is using the racing to get back into racing form and is afraid to push it like last year and get sick again. Unless he starts DNFing and/or crashing in the months before he should be selected. Who knows, maybe he'll suprise almost everyone.

Re:

SHAD0W93 said:
He has also been sick and injured the last 12 months. He stated at the beginning of the year he was going to take it easy in the beginning because he is worried about pushing himself to hard and getting sick again. His only goal he has said is the Tour so if he goes like this and gets better and wins multiple stages, I will call that a success.

Are you Koronin in disguise? This sounds so like her defending Valverde. :lol: :lol:

Re: Re:

wheresmybrakes said:
SHAD0W93 said:

Are you Koronin in disguise? This sounds so like her defending Valverde. :lol: :lol:

No, but I want the rider I like to do good like her. :eek:

Re:

SHAD0W93 said:
BAK Lars Ytting
BOASSON HAGEN Edvald
CAVENDISH Mark
CUMMINGS Steve
DAVIES Scott
DE BOD Stefan
DLAMINI Nic
EISEL Bernhard
GASPAROTTO Enrico
GHEBREIGZABHIER Amanuel
GIBBONS Ryan
JANSE VAN RENSBURG Jacques
JANSE VAN RENSBURG Reinardt
KING Ben
KREUZIGER Roman
MÄDER Gino
MEINTJES Louis
NIZZOLO Giacomo
O'CONNOR Ben

RENSHAW Mark
SLAGTER Tom-Jelte
THOMSON Jay Robert
TILLER Rasmus
VALGREN Michael
VENTER Jaco
VERMOTE Julien
WYSS Danilo

Out of those names who would you want your eighth rider to be? It's his first races in 6 months from being sick and injured. Not everyone is Valverde and who knows how long he was sick for and making it worse by riding on it. It wouldn't be a surprise if he is using the racing to get back into racing form and is afraid to push it like last year and get sick again. Unless he starts DNFing and/or crashing in the months before he should be selected. Who knows, maybe he'll suprise almost everyone.

The names in bold I'd bring to the TDF ahead of Cav, without considering domestiques etc.
I'd bring Mäder too if he wasn't so young.
Of course some of those will go to the Giro but I still believe Cav will have to show some decent shape to get selected.

Re:

yaco said:
You have to be realistic - For months, Cavendish has finished at the back of peleton - In his current form, he is barely WT level and you want him to ride the TDF.

Again if he is still like this in May and June I agree. Just last year he won a stagewl while sick and in 17 Tour he was in position to win/contend a couple stages but lacked form from being sick. This isn't like he raced all of 2018 sick and injury free. Sadly most of those riders will do Giro and Cav's name still has drawing power. The only way I don't see him racing Tour is if he is injured or in May and June still DNFing worse than Schleck.

Cavendish is usually very active on social media and hasnt been for a while. Maybe contemplating his future>

I hope he is just being cautious and not smashing himself too early. However he needs race miles in his legs and at least be contesting sprints before he's considered a place in the Tour.

I don't think you can blame him for trying to come back from illness. He was able to beat Kittel, Bouhanni, Viviani, Kristoff, and Groenewegen in a straight-up sprint at the Dubai Tour just over a year ago. It's not like it has been that long since he was competitive.

TRENDING THREADS