• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Mark Cavendish Discussion Thread

Page 109 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He's also meant to be riding scheldeprijs on Wednesday

I do hope to see him ride one last big race and get the send off he deserves, but if not, a glittering career nonetheless

Would be good to see him do a final race even if its just to get in a break and give a wave to the fans. He deserves a good send off and its a pity there was no London-Surrey or Tour Of Britain to do it in

I wonder how much crying Cavendish did when Tom Veelers was forced to retire at 32 due to crash injuries

Or any of the other riders who suffered from depression after training for years and had to retire early due to injury without any next egg ?

many great riders have had to retire . Ending comes to all

Cavendish was a great sprinter but its over .Prolonging the demise is doing him no favours . Learning to accept the ending is what he needs to do so he can move on
Pain comes from not accepting things the way they are

Never a fan of his, mostly due to the "chasing 34" talks and yahoos mentioning him and Merckx in the same sentence. Much better with Renshaw than without Renshaw. Too one-dimensional for me. But credit when credit is due, Cav' will be remembered as authentic and for sure the fastest sprinter of his generation. And a crazy dude. For once I will cheer for him to win where he started and leave on top.

Reactions: Koronin

Class

While I don't agree with Wiggins saying that he should have an automatic contact until he doesn't want one. He should be allowed to ride a big race 1 last time. Be it a GT or just a very special race as a send off. Guess you don't replace a guy in a GT team with a sprinter on the tail end of his career. Maybe Israel would ink him to the ISN team with Froome next year. To great riders that are looking for a last good race.

Reactions: SHAD0W93
Probably a silly question, but any chance he can switch his focus to another niche? Possibly flat classics such as Roubaix? There he wouldn't need a world class sprint as long as he has the engine to get to the finish
Roubaix requires a huge engine which pure sprinters like Cavendish don't have. Pure sprinters tend to have no niche to fall back on once they decline apart from lead out men. He could go to a lower level but he's not done any sprints for real this season so it's probably an even sadder end to a career.

I wouldn't mind if he continued a year or two on a slightly lower level than he used to. Why are we so afraid of seeing people getting older and less competitive? I would still respect him.
Possibly because, especially in these times, he'd be taking the spot of some younger, stronger rider with like a hundredth of Cav's career earnings.

I have nothing against him and I understand cycling is a business (so a team might want him in the roster just for the publicity) but he hasn't looked like a WT rider for 2 entire years. Why does he deserve a pro contract more than, say, Alex Dowsett?

Roubaix requires a huge engine which pure sprinters like Cavendish don't have. Pure sprinters tend to have no niche to fall back on once they decline apart from lead out men. He could go to a lower level but he's not done any sprints for real this season so it's probably an even sadder end to a career.
Makes sense. I was thinking of a rider such as Museeuw who was initially a not quite fast enough sprinter who remade himself into an elite classics rider. Obviously, that transformation was quite rare and the rider in question was roughly a decade younger than Cavendish when he made it.

Makes sense. I was thinking of a rider such as Museeuw who was initially a not quite fast enough sprinter who remade himself into an elite classics rider. Obviously, that transformation was quite rare and the rider in question was roughly a decade younger than Cavendish when he made it.
Cipollini got a top-10 in the Ronde (albeit in one of his best years all round). These things aren't impossible but very rare and Cavendish is certainly not at the peak of his powers anymore.

In fairness he obviously has a lot of experience and in the right setting could be a useful road captain supporting a much younger classics hopeful. He's probably streetwise enough to make it through the first few selections at Roubaix even if he hasn't got a hope of coming out of Carrefour de l'Abre with the big hitters.

Possibly because, especially in these times, he'd be taking the spot of some younger, stronger rider with like a hundredth of Cav's career earnings.

I have nothing against him and I understand cycling is a business (so a team might want him in the roster just for the publicity) but he hasn't looked like a WT rider for 2 entire years. Why does he deserve a pro contract more than, say, Alex Dowsett?

Well, sure, the big teams should mainly pick the strongest, but maybe he could join one of the smaller teams? I don't think it's going to happen, but I think it would be cool to see him around. I heard that Eddy Merckx remained in the pro field for a couple of seasons after he had lost his top level. He just wanted to race, - while others urged him to stop.

Cipollini got a top-10 in the Ronde (albeit in one of his best years all round). These things aren't impossible but very rare and Cavendish is certainly not at the peak of his powers anymore.

In fairness he obviously has a lot of experience and in the right setting could be a useful road captain supporting a much younger classics hopeful. He's probably streetwise enough to make it through the first few selections at Roubaix even if he hasn't got a hope of coming out of Carrefour de l'Abre with the big hitters.
Yup. Funny, Cipollini had arguably his best season at Cavendish's current age.

FWIW, if Cavendish can provide any value to a WT team, no matter what role I think he should absolutely ride. Furthermore, you never know, he may have a resurgence. Greipel is several years older and still plugging along.

Yup. Funny, Cipollini had arguably his best season at Cavendish's current age.

FWIW, if Cavendish can provide any value to a WT team, no matter what role I think he should absolutely ride. Furthermore, you never know, he may have a resurgence. Greipel is several years older and still plugging along.
IMO it entirely depends on if he's simply past it which would be aggrivated by mono, or if there's psychological issues that make him underperform.

Eurosport saying he´s contacting teams to ride 2021 for free
I'm afraid that amounts to "Give me a place on the team although I'm not worth one". No doubt he can afford a year or two (or the rest of his life) without a salary, but that level of desperation to continue does not seem to me (admittedly as a distant observer) to indicate a healthy mindset.

Hope someone can help him find a healthy way to let go of his racing career.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS